Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Random Drug Testing

Suspended
    Thanks
    Then ask yourself why companies screen candidates. As a business owner myself I hire people. Simply put - I want people that want to work, people that are hungry to make money, dynamic people, good work environment, happy staff etc etc - all of which we have got without a union. When/if a problem arises we discuss it and sort it out within minutes. Finding the right people to work for a company is not always easy if you want to tick all the boxes on your criteria list, but you can get pretty close at the end of the day.

Remember that when screening people for a job spec, certain items do not matter e.g. if the person has a minor ITC record and they are going to be a draughtsman for e.g. does not really matter. If he has iTC for hundreds of thousands then it does matter because this will affect his work.
    If that person is applying for an accounts position then they will not get the job because clearly if they cannot handle their own affairs they will not be able to handle a companies affairs. Another example is as tec has mentioned is a person has dyslexia he will more than likely not get a position working with figures - this is obvious, but he most certainly will get a position as a computer tech. This was mentioned quite a while ago and tec read it totally wrong again. People are screened to fit into the correct position. Just because they are not accepted in one position does not mean they can't do another job. This is very simply put but obvious to most people, but unfortunately you do get some people who cannot understand this.

It is no use bitching and complaining if you cannot find a job. Look deeper and try to figure out why you cannot get a job. Is it your attitude, your lack of qualification, you drug habit, your alcohol problem or are you trying to find job which just will not fit your personality. No union in the world is going to help you if you don't do your job properly.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Computer aid has made it possible for many people to do more tasks accurately, stock keeping or inventory checks are common place for the computer. And yet large clothing stores still deal with losses because they don't want to upgrade there systems and use the RFID tag system that is a norm in Europe UK and the USA. It is cost effective and can benefit stores in general. Computer aided technologies can enable a person to function better and help a person with problems to function normally. Unfortunately many companies are slow accepting this fact.

As for drug testing, Being qualified in safety myself i know the importance of these tests "drug and alcohol tests". However proper contracts and proper company policy must be introduced from the very beginning to avoid future problems. The legal requirements are there for a reason and is there to both protect the employer and employee. Please never for a moment think that any person would want to work with a intoxicated person on a dangerous job. It is just the matter about drug/alcohol testing should have been introduced when a possible employee was first interviewed. So that when they agree to the employment contract that they know where they stand.

Yes companies can implement testing at a later stage "if it becomes a problem" but again this must be done properly. Now in this case the company threaten the employees with a e-mail. That is unacceptable hence i say bring in the Unions. The employees have the right to have there rights protected. They need to know that the company is doing these tests lawfully and correctly. Unfortunately we do not know all the details here. But any threat to your employment is a priority and if the company did not do there homework properly why must the employee suffer?

The employee has a right to lawful testing and any testing not done lawfully must be reported to the proper entities involved. I will always maintain that laws must be respected on both the employer and employee side. Shortcuts and unlawful practice must be unacceptable for all parties involved.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Suspended
    Thanks
    You point to the company again that must have proper procedures from the beginning ! I as the employer point to the employee and say don't do drugs and then we won't have a problem - if you are suspected of being on drugs you will be tested.

Anyway we will never agree

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HR Solutions View Post
    You point to the company again that must have proper procedures from the beginning ! I as the employer point to the employee and say don't do drugs and then we won't have a problem - if you are suspected of being on drugs you will be tested.

Anyway we will never agree
    If you read carefully you would find that it was mentioned that policies can be updated and new policies can be introduced. As long as said actions are done lawfully.

These are the infromation we have access to.

Quote Originally Posted by James Reid View Post
    Advice please. Our Company has sent out an email stating they will begin random drug testing to all staff - office and workshops. They say if an employee refuses they may face disciplinary action.
    It is not a lot to go on... But i insist that all tests and new policy implementation must be done lawfully. If you believe i am saying anything else it is your choice to do so.

Both the company and individuals have rights, if those rights are not being represented properly then surly objections can be made by both parties. Third parties are available and can act as a valuable recourse. It is as it stands.

This is not about "how one feels" it is about ethic and lawfulness involving all parties.

It is not an attack but a requirement by law.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Suspended
    Thanks
    Sure thing

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12