Thread: Windows Tablets / Phones

Platinum Member sterne.law@gmail.com's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Windows Tablets / Phones

Let me set out why I need a windows phone / tablet, then the suggestions would be appreciated.

In short, I have developed a billing solution for Lawyers (Every Minute Counts)
    There are many android apps that can be used for certain elements.

However, I have a clock timer app that is in windows. It is already integrated so no need to re invent the wheel.
    So where as I would have installed the android apps onto their phones/tablets etc for tracking time out of the office, I can now use an already integrated app that is tried and tested.

So I want to make this available, it necessitates the client having a windows based tablet / phone, which would be minority.
    I would probably supply it, so cost should be low.
    If they want to use the tablet for other stuff then they can upgrade, but I am working on what I need.
    In essence a phone can work, as they are merely using a stopwatch - hence no need for screen.
    In this regard Lumia would be the easy pick (I guess).
    But If they want to use a tablet then I need an option.

Thanks in advance.
    Anthony Sterne

www.acumenholdings.co.za
    DISCLAIMER The above is merely a comment in discussion form and an open public arena. It does not constitute a legal opinion or professional advice in any manner or form.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Mecer BT26T-Z3735 WINDOWS TABLET costing R4200 from Computer Mania. They don't have a branch in Durban but at the very least you can ask your local supplier for the machine.

10.1' screen, Windows 8.1, 1Gb ram, WiFi, GPS, Micro SD, 1 x USB 3 port, 1 x mini HDMI port

3. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (26-Sep-15)

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Acer801 8" R2,299
    Proline - various models between R2099-R3699
    from Computer Mania.

Go to Computer Mania's website and page through their online catalog

Thanks
    Just a slight unrelated question: Is you app written for DotNet? I.e. you use Visual Studio and programmed using C# / VB-Net / F# / any other DotNet language / combination?

If so, have you tried just compiling it using Xamarin? I've had some successes to port such programs into Linux / OSX / Android from Windows with nearly no extra coding needed, actually that's my main development environment for the past few years now (MonoDevelop on Linux, targeting Windows, Linux & OSX - in my line there's not much call for mobile ... yet). The only times I've had issues is when the program was using WPF forms instead of WinForm.
    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves. - Norm Franz
    And central banks are the slave clearing houses

6. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (27-Sep-15)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I own a Nokia Lumia 520 it is a good little phone but i have noticed that battery life is a bit of a problem. You get maybe a full day "depending on use" But it is a easy phone good looking and cost effective "at that time" I am not sure what the newest version go for but I got mine bundled so i cannot complain. Newer versions can be found here gsmarena

I am also looking at windows tablet will get back to you when i found one. I am looking at the lenovo as they are well priced but a bit slow thus Acer might be the better call. That said Lenovo is also not bad.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Platinum Member sterne.law@gmail.com's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Ja, the lumia is a given.
    But for some clients they may want to use more aspects then the tablet is better.
    Lenovo excellent price, short on ram, so might not be viable for all aspects.

I dont see the windows Acer? On the link?

I also have electronic document service, and that on a phone will be a pain.
    The tablet will thus be the entire office in one go.
    Anthony Sterne

www.acumenholdings.co.za
    DISCLAIMER The above is merely a comment in discussion form and an open public arena. It does not constitute a legal opinion or professional advice in any manner or form.

9. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (27-Sep-15)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sterne.law@gmail.com View Post
    Ja, the lumia is a given.
    But for some clients they may want to use more aspects then the tablet is better.
    Lenovo excellent price, short on ram, so might not be viable for all aspects.

I dont see the windows Acer? On the link?

I also have electronic document service, and that on a phone will be a pain.
    The tablet will thus be the entire office in one go.
    I thought i put the right link in let me check, Here is a picture of the one i was looking at, it is more PC then tablet but it i thought it was good. I think i might have copied the wrong link from Acer. Sorry about that, i tested this one it seems to work now. I also included a price check. Now normally i would go WOW it is so expensive but given that most good tablets hit between R6k and R10k and you need something that can preform you will be looking at the more expensive models. I mean this thing is basically a laptop "almost"

Acer Iconia W700 11.6 Core i3 64GB SSD Tablet

Product Description

Acer Iconia W700-6607 NT. L0EAA.003 Tablet - 3rd generation Intel Core i3-3217U 1.8GHz; 4GB DDR3; 64GB SSD; 11.6 Full HD Touchscreen; Windows 8 64-bit; Dual WebcamsDelivery PolicyThis item is imported from an authorised supplier in the USA. Quality guaranteed. 100% authentic. I do not carry stock. Stock is held in USA. You are guaranteed to have the item delivered in perfect condition or your money back. Delivery takes 7-14 working days. I have 100% satisfied customers. Order with confidence. No hidden costs. Please note: there is a 35% restocking fee on all cancellations. Only items that arrive incorrect or damaged may be returned free of charge.

source
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.