Thread: Increase in small business in South Africa

Email problem
    Thanks

Question Increase in small business in South Africa

Good Day Guys so relatively new to these forums quite new actually but I just wanted to find out whether anyone else had noticed an increase in small business in SA I was just curious because I personally was thinking of starting a business and I thought what better way but to get a little bit of a view on the competitions and whether its actually worth doing it :/

Well tell me your thoughts?

Email problem
    Thanks
    Interesting well this is actually quite interesting because I was thinking about this quite recently the amount of construction company's that are starting up has increased exponentially and although that is great it just starts flooding the market for anyone whos business is their life.

Email problem
    Thanks
    Ok ok i can see how that would flood the market there are too many of them that decide to aspire to the recent SA theme of doing sh*t work its a bit of a shame but what can ou do this is what people are used to these days :/

Thanks
    Well I would have to agree with Shumer on this one although service has declined to an astonishingly shi*tty level there are still some small business that offer some sort of quality service around Joburg recently a friend of mine started up a Business involving Granite Countertop manufacturing and with his hard work and dedication as well as not to mention outstanding service is what makes a difference in the end.

But again that doesn't go for everyone these days

Email problem
    Thanks
    @NeilMadd23 interesting question for you that counter top business you are talking about does it consist of 2 guys? just curious

Thanks
    How are you guys connected?
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Email problem
    Thanks
    I have left employment in 2013 from a local municipality to start my own business. I do government tenders supplying IT equipment and consumables.I was however forced to find alternative income streams due to cash flow problems from getting paid late and slow procurement procedures. I have since created an alternative income and the 2 businesses compliment each other...so back to your question , the competition is not as an important factor as to question weather one is able to do what it takes to succeed and chip away at the ice every day. Good luck

Suspended
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ShumerK View Post
    Ok ok i can see how that would flood the market there are too many of them that decide to aspire to the recent SA theme of doing sh*t work its a bit of a shame but what can ou do this is what people are used to these days :/
    I dont agree that we are "used" to it these days. If you accept the shitty work it in only your fault.
    I will never accept shit work - If it is a contractor I will give him the chance to rectify his mistakes, if he doesn't then he can take a hike.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ShumerK View Post
    Good Day Guys so relatively new to these forums quite new actually but I just wanted to find out whether anyone else had noticed an increase in small business in SA I was just curious because I personally was thinking of starting a business and I thought what better way but to get a little bit of a view on the competitions and whether its actually worth doing it :/

Well tell me your thoughts?
    Small business and entrepreneurship in South Africa has grown exponentially since 1994 due to retrenchments and the political climate. I see it in a positive light as more people are starting to think for themselves and are less inclined to sit and wait for government handouts. I have also been in a bit of a comfort zone and eventually called up the courage to start my own business.

Like most "entrepreneurs" I thought the easiest way is to buy a franchise. I then realised that I did not really know how to make a good pizza, hamburger or coffee. I did not want to go into a "me too" business where everyone was changing tyres or fitting exhausts. (nothing wrong with that though) I also realise that in a franchise you could not be innovative and apply your own ideas. When I resigned, I was fortunate that some of my old clients asked for my assistance and so I became a business consultant with a small client base. I have since moved on to a manufacturing business, but will always be grateful to my ex clients for giving me the opportunity to find my feet and to eventually realise my dreams.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Email problem
    Thanks
    Cipc is registering 5000 new small businesses EVERY MONTH in South Africa. - Mostly small co-ops - Most of them fail or remain dormant because of lack of knowledge, finance, direction, and a low level of self motivation of the average person.
    If you have the drive and a VISION, and you are prepared to learn and apply the NEW RULES of BUSINESSand break out of the "employee' mindset, You can succeed. WORK AT WHAT YOU WOULD DO EVEN IF YOU DIDN'T GET PAID. Eventually it will pay you many times over.