Thread: Anti Viruses - Yet another one of the not-so-good ideas

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Anti Viruses - Yet another one of the not-so-good ideas

Just seen this: http://news.softpedia.com/news/avg-p...s-492146.shtml

So then ... wasn't "taking your browsing history" part of what you'd understand under Spy Ware? I guess it's not just Microsoft going along with this dubious practise. Even those programs you actually install to protect you from these sorts of morally deviant practises are thus in fact doing the very thing you want them to prevent.

I just wonder ... is it just now in their EULA due to someone finding out they've been doing it all along?
    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves. - Norm Franz
    And central banks are the slave clearing houses

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Funny enough, a person that will remain anonymous did mention to me that every time he visits an adult site that his antivirus wall offer autonomous services... But since browsing history recovery is so stupidly simple what is the point of hiding it in the first place.... But yes...

Steps i personally took to avoid the being tagged.

Hardware List:
    Powered USB3 HUB
    128GB USB3 Flash Drive/Thumb Drive
    32GB USB3 Flash Drive/Thumb Drive
    Software:
    Puppy Linux
    Windows 7 basic "no service pack"
    Antivirus
    Portable Spyware remover.

Step 1 removed my harddrive from my computer placed it in a enclosure and use it as storage. Step 2 installed Win7 Basic on 128Gb flash drive, installed antivirus on it and Portable Spyware remover. Installed Puppy Linux on 32GB. So if i want to go on the net i simply run Puppy Linux and if I want to do work i pop in my win7 flash and keep the net disabled. Above all I went and opened a second account at my bank and isolated my main account so now i have to go to the ATM load money onto my second account and only do business from it so if someone gets into my account there is R100 maybe available for them to steel... Booting to the USB 3 is nice and fast and i have no trouble. It feels like i am running a normal OS on a normal harddrive
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tec0 View Post
    Booting to the USB 3 is nice and fast and i have no trouble. It feels like i am running a normal OS on a normal harddrive
    Very good idea ... how did you get around Windows installing on an external? I always had issues with that.

Personally, I run Windows through a VM (VM Ware Player) inside Kubuntu. Then just disallow any sort of network access for that windows except for the shared folders which VM Ware maps onto it from the 5 HDD discs & 1 SSD mounted in Kubuntu. Any USB connected discs I either mount manually or I set VM Ware to have Windows get direct access to it - depends how I feel on the day. I can even have the VM's virtual disc as a set of files on an external disc, make several copies of them, and run any one I wish without affecting any of the copies. Thus very easy to restore a "backup", just plug in the other disc and restart.

It runs pretty decently (Win XP 32bit Pro, Win 7-64 Pro, Win 8.1-64 Pro, and my testing W10-64). Only issue is that graphics is "slightly" slower than a bare metal system - that's why I went with WM Ware instead of VirtualBox - graphics is very close to direct GPU performance.
    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves. - Norm Franz
    And central banks are the slave clearing houses

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by irneb View Post
    Very good idea ... how did you get around Windows installing on an external? I always had issues with that.

Personally, I run Windows through a VM (VM Ware Player) inside Kubuntu. Then just disallow any sort of network access for that windows except for the shared folders which VM Ware maps onto it from the 5 HDD discs & 1 SSD mounted in Kubuntu. Any USB connected discs I either mount manually or I set VM Ware to have Windows get direct access to it - depends how I feel on the day. I can even have the VM's virtual disc as a set of files on an external disc, make several copies of them, and run any one I wish without affecting any of the copies. Thus very easy to restore a "backup", just plug in the other disc and restart.

It runs pretty decently (Win XP 32bit Pro, Win 7-64 Pro, Win 8.1-64 Pro, and my testing W10-64). Only issue is that graphics is "slightly" slower than a bare metal system - that's why I went with WM Ware instead of VirtualBox - graphics is very close to direct GPU performance.
    I got mixed success with this one but it seems to work well,

Here is the video i followed

or you can use this one

Here is the website i got the installer
    NT6+Fast+Installer.rar

NOTE my firewall was on, had add blocker installed and other firefox add-ons to protect me from any baddies on the site. I did a scan on the download itself "RAR" File got a green light nothing bad in the rar file but I recommend you do a scan before and after using it. "The moment you run any executable you run the risk of infection. Make sure your antivirus is up to date AND that you have a 3rd party scanner like EMSISoft to do a secondary scan.

7 out of 10 installations worked fine. 3 installations did not...
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.