Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Banking details confirmation scam

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Banking details confirmation scam

A phising scam that has been floating around for quite a while now.

The scam consists of an email urging you to click through a link to confirm your banking details due to a systems upgrade or some other change at your bank. If you click through, the site looks remarkably like your normal internet banking interface.

Visually, these approaches often look quite genuine, with the scamsters taking pains to make the approach look as realistic as possible. However, the site is definitely not your bank, but folks trying to gain crtitical password information so that they can empty your bank account.

In the example shown below, the entire message is actually an embedded graphic set up as a hotspot link to the phising site. A victim would click through and log on as per how they would for a normal internet banking session.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bank_scam.JPG 
Views:	505 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	10  

Thanks
    I've seen these too - but not for any South African banks.

Has anyone heard of this happening with a South African bank?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Apparently these phising scamsters have now found South Africa.

All I can recommend is to go to your bank's website:
    • From your own computer - don't use public computers, and
    • By typing the bank's URL directly into your address bar.

If you have set your bank's homepage as a Favorite, just take a look at the URL when you go there. It should be as simple as the day you saved.

It's hard not to seem a touch paranoid about these things, but when it comes to online banking - you really need to pay attention.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

FNB phising scam

I've received this phising email for a "problem" I have with my FNB account. First problem - I don't have an FNB account.

Dear FNB Customer:

We recently have determined that different computers have logged into your Fnb Online Banking account, and multiple password failures were present before the logons.
    We now need you to log into your account and verify your account activity.
    account we have issued this warning message.

It has come to our attention that your Fnb Bank account information needs to be reactivated as part of our continuing commitment to protect your account and to reduce the instance of fraud on our website in this new Season.
    Once you have reactivated your account records your Fnb Online Banking account service will not be interrupted and will continue as normal.

To reactivate your Fnb account records click on the following link:

https://www.online.fnb.co.za/signon?LOB=reactivateAcct
    (That's what is shown - the link actually goes to http://wellsfargoery.web.aplus.net/fnb/index.htm)

Accounts Management As outlined in our User Agreement, FNB will periodically send you information about site changes and enhancements.

Visit our Privacy Policy and User Agreement if you have any questions.
    https://www.fnb.co.za/help /index.jhtml

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    The phising assault on Standard Bank customers has begun. I've just received this:

<https://www2.encrypt.standardbank.co.za/ibsa/images/logoWhiteOnBlue_en_ZA.gif>

Because of unusual number of invalid login attempts on your account, we had to believe that there might be some security problems on your account.
    So we have decided to put an extra verification process to ensure your identity and your account security.
    Standard Bank security department has request for your account informations including your registered email address and your email password.
    These will be used in our upcoming security enhancement which will be taking place on the 27th of May 2007.
    These Informations are mandatory to complete your verification as a legitimate member of Standard Bank Limited.
    please take 5-10 minutes
    out of your online experience and verify your personal records so that you will not run into any future problems with the online service.

Please click on sign in to Online Banking <http://www.youartist.com/modules/standardbankupdate/signonmenu.htm> to continue to the verification process and ensure your account security.
    It is all about your security. Thank you

Regards
    Standard Bank Limited
    Image - Handshake<http://www.aibgb.co.uk/servlet/BlobServer?blobkey=id&blobwhere=1096576951800&blob col=url_image&blobtable=GB_Image&blobheader=image/jpeg>
    Be careful out there folks.

Suspended
    Thanks
    I received noification from Absa on the same process. Fortunately for me I am with Nedbank who recently warned me about the cindicate. Thanx for the warnings.

Thanks
    I got it on the general email at work, one from ABSA, Third bank, FNB and standard bank! Amazing where they get it from...

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I suspect they don't have to empty too many bank accounts to make a pretty wholesome profit.

Thanks
    I just received another email (3 in fact) from "Standard Bank" to confirm my details.

1: I don't bank with Standard Bank :P

The thing is that the link sent in the email is directed at a website with a pr of 4. I am always interested to see where they lead. There is a picture and address of the person who runs the site. It is in arabic or some other and it is just amazing that it is still up and running...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast