Thread: Training structures

Platinum Member sterne.law@gmail.com's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Training structures

I am interested to hear views on length of training courses.
    In particular, would you guys prefer 2 full days, or would 3 half days be more practical.

If the 3 sessions, would it be better as 3 days on the trot, or 1 day over 3 weeks.
    Anthony Sterne

www.acumenholdings.co.za
    DISCLAIMER The above is merely a comment in discussion form and an open public arena. It does not constitute a legal opinion or professional advice in any manner or form.

Thanks
    What are the training courses and who are they aimed at?

If it's management and upper management then shorter absences from their workplace may be better, if it's rank and file employees then possibly full days.

Platinum Member sterne.law@gmail.com's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Various levels of the labour regime.
    I am of the view that management and small business owners would prefer half days so that they can get back to the office, or cant be away for 2 full days
    Anthony Sterne

www.acumenholdings.co.za
    DISCLAIMER The above is merely a comment in discussion form and an open public arena. It does not constitute a legal opinion or professional advice in any manner or form.

Thanks
    If I was sending my staff on a course I'd prefer it was two consecutive full days and preferably mid-week. If I had to attend a course I'd prefer half-days maybe even with a day separating them.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    My personal opinion here only, I personally think modular training is the way to go and is applicable for most businesses and companies alike. Example it allows the trainee the opportunity to learn one step at a time and get good at it fast. Everyone of us here knows that training courses doesn't stick if there substance is not drilled into the trainee's head. Modular training does just that, it allows for both intensive and result to take effect faster. And because it is modular you as the employer can identify problem areas faster and address them in no time at all. Where long term training "weeks away from work" can still have good results there are always aspects that need revising so that the improvements can take full effect.

I would highly recommend modular training programs as it allows to be done in shorter time and because the scope of training is limited and repeatable you can spend less time and get more from your employee. I personally know people "all of them between the age of 60 and older" that was trained with modular training and to date companies still contract them to do critical work because they are the best in the business. Why because there training included experience and you can agree that "that" aspect is missing from modern training. Also modular training can identify what the employee has and what she/he needs making estimation for cost easy.

It is a system I wish will be implemented again because it opens more doors to lower educated less experienced people and allow them to grow within the company and the company's needs. You as the employer can only benefit "if implemented correctly" It is a proven system and rewards both the employer and employee. That said not all training can be modular but I do believe for the most part "work" aspects can be broken down into sections and become procedural. All of us do it and have it implemented in our companies because rules out mistakes for the most part. Now if the same can be true for training then I personally believe the benefits are worth the effort.

Depending on type of work modular training can take a few hours "depending" and employee is back implementing what they have learned and the process can be repeated until the employer is happy with the results. Also the benefit "depending on job type" can be almost immediate.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    I would prefer two full days. This way, course material is not split and the entire workshop gets done.
    “Ubuntu is the essence of being humane" Desmond Tutu
    Spelling mistakes and/or typographical errors I found in leading publications.
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    I like to get it all done in one shot.Preferably not on Mondays,mid week is better for our business.I can at least plan around not having the staff at work.

We have payed a bit extra for some courses to be held inhouse which makes it even better for me.