Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: No earth wire!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bergie View Post
    out of arms reach from your scaffolding or steel ladder. lol
    that rule should have been taken out long ago. i fail everything not earthed properly regardless of what the book says.
    Then it could be said you are applying your personal opinions and not the regulations? that could be a problem in a number of ways.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 2,259 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmonooit View Post
    In terms of lights, fittings do not need to be earthed if they meet certain conditions, one being out of arms reach from the floor,
    One of the problems we're finding is that "under certain conditions" has been extended to "light circuits do not need to be earthed at all" in far too many installations. A recent one we tested had metal wall light fittings within arms reach all over the place, not one of which was earthed. And despite being wired in surfix, there was no earth wire available at the light point because the earth wire had been neatly cut back.

Talking of earth and surfix, here's another classic -

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_0740.jpg 
Views:	425 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	5873

They're right there - waving at each other. Why clip them back like that? Just join them for crying out loud.
    Oh yeah - you can't just twist them together, so snip snip - much quicker.

And even if the light point is out of arms reach, there's nothing quite like wanting to replace a light fitting with a ceiling fan & light (particularly where the ceiling is a concrete slab), and discovering there is no earth available at the light point.

Email problem
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmonooit View Post
    Then it could be said you are applying your personal opinions and not the regulations? that could be a problem in a number of ways.
    i will probably get myself in trouble by making statements like that. if the regulations say " do not earth it" ,it is different to "there is no need to earth it"
    i'm not going to earth something that is double insulated , but i always earth steel lightswitches with plastic covers and plastic screws or light fittings out of arms reach.

Thanks
    The regs don't permit luminaires or light fittings not to be earthed, the only mention the lamp holders.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    One of the problems we're finding is that "under certain conditions" has been extended to "light circuits do not need to be earthed at all" in far too many installations. A recent one we tested had metal wall light fittings within arms reach all over the place, not one of which was earthed. And despite being wired in surfix, there was no earth wire available at the light point because the earth wire had been neatly cut back.

Talking of earth and surfix, here's another classic -

Name:	SAM_0740.jpg 
Views:	425 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	5873

They're right there - waving at each other. Why clip them back like that? Just join them for crying out loud.
    Oh yeah - you can't just twist them together, so snip snip - much quicker.

And even if the light point is out of arms reach, there's nothing quite like wanting to replace a light fitting with a ceiling fan & light (particularly where the ceiling is a concrete slab), and discovering there is no earth available at the light point.
    Nice picture, I assume that you do realise that the use of "twist ties" is also illegal.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Yesterday, i went to look at a piece of land, because i want to start a small "farm" it is a startup i have been planning on doing for some time. Now the owner got the land from "a successful land claim" and all his animals are all but gone... Now due to this epic fail he is looking to rent the land out and since my roots go back to that type of thing, i figured to give it a go.

When I was on the property i noticed that most of the pumps where down and basically there is no water running. Now the history of the land and "if you know where to look" i found lots of water, it is there and tests say it is safe. But my word! there is not a single trip switch to be found on the property... "everything is live" and it is scary!" most of the wiring is insulation tape and block connectors... That is it... Now I will put up some photos when i start "renting" the land will get a electrician out. But damn... it is just nuts...

Now what p!$$es me of frankly is that home owners must jump through hoops! And we must pay fines and penalties and all kinds of crap... But this is ok somehow? I phone the municipality they will come and to a inspection and if it is going to cost to much to get it up to code i will terminate our lease agreement. The agreement states outright POWER and WATER will be functioning and maintained by the LAND-LORD. Now if this guy thinks i will be happy with how things are now... He is about the have a rude awakening...
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 2,259 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Leecatt View Post
    Nice picture, I assume that you do realise that the use of "twist ties" is also illegal.
    Sometimes a picture says so much -

Name:	can_of_worms_ahead.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	25.3 KB 
ID:	5875

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Nice picture, I assume that you do realise that the use of "twist ties" is also illegal
    Care to elaborate on that? I am just asking because when i got the contractor in to replace all the lights in my home, "twist ties" was the norm" They are all gone now but somehow the guy that did the first COC didn't mention it and he cost me a lot of money to date and I would love to know more because this will be yet another thing he overlooked.

My home is up to code now but it cost me a small fortune....
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    The regs don't permit luminaires or light fittings not to be earthed, the only mention the lamp holders.
    I was under the impression a lamp holder / light fitting was a luminaire?

(as defined)

luminaire
    appliance that distributes, filters or transforms the light transmitted from
    one or more lamps and that includes all the parts necessary
    supporting, fixing and protecting the lamps but not the lamps themselves,
    and, when necessary, circuit auxiliaries together with the means for
    connecting them to the supply.

NOTE A batten lamp holder or a lamp holder suspended by a flexible cord is a
    luminaire.

Also the regs says fitting don't have to be earthed if they meet certain conditions, as I posted above, its the same applied for light fittings surely I dont see anywhere where it says all luminaires must be earthed.

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Andy, is it possible you are maybe getting confused with discharge luminaries?

i will probably get myself in trouble by making statements like that. if the regulations say " do not earth it" ,it is different to "there is no need to earth it"
    i'm not going to earth something that is double insulated , but i always earth steel lightswitches with plastic covers and plastic screws or light fittings out of arms reach.
    Begie, +1 to that. Even if it is a plastic box with a plastic switch and I used GP wires and not a 2core + earth I would pull in an earth wire. Reason for this, what happens if that client has a steel switch installed. He'd be cursing your name for a while to come. Just thinking ahead some.

Kosmonooit, I completely understand where you coming from.
    Unfortunately we live in an economy where everyone is trying to save a few rather than thinking ahead at the consciences and making more long term investments. Maybe it's just the hazardous locations training that made me more paranoid, but one has to look beyond the basic installation. I would rather offer a defense in court saying I did more than I was suppose to than saying I did the bare minimum, because you will always be questioned on your choices you made.

But all and all, earth continuity should always be considered as with where an earth conductor is cut off/back or wrapped not properly connected also with metallic objects with live conductors. Remember, the earth is the main form of protection. When doing the earth resistance and continuity of bonding tests, that includes light fittings, light switches, conductive surfaces (which could become live due to a fault) that the resistance should be withing the required limit as to enable protection.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast