Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Durban to host Commonwealth Games 2022

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Dave, I really hope you are right. Unfortunately my initial impression is one of some concern over their estimates:

1) 200'000 international visitors will visit Durban for the games. Gut feel says that's a tad optimistic.
    2) Each of the above visitors is expected to spend an average of R60'000 into the local economy (which means over and above their flights). Yeah perhaps some of the Europeans, but I have my doubts as to how many of those "200'000" visitors will have that sort of budget. I certainly doubt it would be the average budget.

Ultimately the biggest warning sign I see is the fact that no one else bid to host the games. That should have alarm bells ringing.

My totally unsubstantiated opinion is that this is a hugely expensive branding exercise. The funds could be better spent.

2. Thanks given for this post:

gac (15-Sep-15)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,677 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BusFact View Post
    Ultimately the biggest warning sign I see is the fact that no one else bid to host the games. That should have alarm bells ringing.
    My read on that is we had the "never before held in Africa" inside track. Plus our track record for delivery on big events is beyond doubt now.

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Unless I missed something somewhere to the contrary, I recall reading that Durbanites (all 7% or so of those who actually pay rates) are still carrying the cost of a stadium that struggles to pay its own way. Do you have any idea of the accepted net balance of the world cup event?

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    An informative article. No doubt the organizers were immensely relieved that Durban took it on and one can't help ponder whether their desperation has a few palms well greased, covertly of course. That aside it is rather ironical that when money flows in the right direction the otherwise usual stand against a symbol of colonial rule just melts away, which tells us a lot about the frontbenchers who lead the rebellion for questionable gain.

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Dave, help me out a bit please:
    The article is based on a "report" - by who?

It states.....
    "Generating total spend of R20-billion, which will translate into GPD growth of R11-billion;" - HOW?

"Creating 11,650 jobs;" - PERMANENT OR TEMPORARY?

"Training up a significant portion of the 10,000 volunteers, many of whom will be youth from rural areas;" - TO DO WHAT EXACTLY THAT WILL ASSIST THEM GOING FORWARD?

"Fast-tracking of government projects, such as housing development through the building of the athletes’ village and Durban’s public transport system;" - SEEING IS BELIVEING.

"Creating a “feel good” factor by replicating the carnival atmosphere of past Games;" AT WHAT NETT COST? I FEEL BETTER WHEN THE RATES & SERVICES I PAY REMAIN RELATIVELY CONSTANT TO INFLATION

"Reducing crime." - FOR THE DURATION OF AND IN THE PRECINCT OF THE GAMES ONLY

If these are the principal justifying reasons then something is horribly wrong.
    There is such a backlog of housing and infrastructure development in KZN that diverting funding into these Games is a slap in the face for the masses of this country who have been over-promised and under-delivered for so long.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12