Thread: constitutional act versus the bargaining council where do we stand as individuals ??

Thanks

constitutional act versus the bargaining council where do we stand as individuals ??

i own a hairdressing salon in scottburgh, and iv just recently been advised by the hairdressing bargaining council that we have to join, now my question is do we have to belong to them, as they can not offer us anything we do not have any doctors that cover the sick benefit fund they offer, we have to travel 50 kl to durban should we require a doctor on their list, and as for the pension fund what they offer is not what i would take should i look into a pension package, and i do not believe in unions, as a hairdresser we cannot stick etc... and as for my staff they work on a commission basis, now i do under stand their are some benefits as a salon to be long, but it lso says in the constitutional act for south africa we have a right to make that decision,
    My salon is a cc and iam registered with uif workers compensation as well as sars for vat and tax.
    we were ever in the du-restriction of the council and now according to the council it has all changed,
    my question is what about all the other hairdressing salons around me. ?
    last week one of the council members walked into my shop and told me i had 14 days to join or i would be fined, but this same gentle man did not go to any of the other salons in the mall nor did he go to any other salon in our town, to me this was very unfair and when i asked about this i was told he i must submit a list and he will eventually get to them, surely this is unfair and a form of victimization as i personally feel i was singled out.

please could you give me some advise as to what i should do and who could possibly give me more light on this, my staff are all in a state as they feel they get paid more now that what the council even stipulate and they say to me after the council deductions they are not prepared to earn such a low income and have even more deducted from their salary's.
    I have also seen read on the constitution that with out written notice from each staff member iam not able to even deduct any amounts further than that of paye/ vat/ tax/ uif.
    now i feel this leave me in another predicament.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hi Heather,

I suggest as a first step you ask for the details of the gazetted extension notice. From the quick research I did on the National Bargaining Council for Hairdressing, Cosmetology Beauty and Skincare Industry website, I found their copy of Notice R 1028 of 2014 which extends Notice R 492 of 2014 until 31 December ? (2015?).

Reading Notice R 492 of 2014, it would seem the scope in KZN extends only to the magisterial districts Durban, Inanda and Pinetown.