Thread: Home automation, 12V lighting and COC

Email problem
    Thanks

Home automation, 12V lighting and COC

Hi all. I am in the process of building my own home automation system. This system will basically switching lights on and off from any web based device, like iPad on iPhone, and touch panels around the house. The system will be operating on 5V and 12 V DC.
    In short what I want to do is replace all my light switches with touch sensitive switches that operates a relay that turns a light on or off. This can also be operated from a web based device.

I would like to pull the cables out of the conduit that goes to the existing light switches and connect them to a 16amp relay in a small plastic junction box. In that way there will be 5V DC control system wires in the conduit and not 220V AC. The existing switch wires will not be cut shorter but bundled up in the junction box so if the system should be removed everything can be normalized.

The system will be running on a backup supply and the relays will have a backup manual switch. So I have plane for when the system is down.

My question is this what does the regulation say about home automation? Seeing that the automation system is low current and it is controlling high current?

My second question is if I would replace all my light around my house to 12V dc should I remove all the existing cabling and remove the breakers from my DB and do I have to run the DC wires in separate conduit?

What impact does this have on a new COC?

Thank in advance.

Thanks
    If all the 220v electrical wiring is disconnected entirely then in theory you could run the comms cabling in the same conduit. If there's any 220v live wiring in the conduit then you can't mix them, you'd need a completely separate conduit. The ELV control wiring to the switches and any sensors wouldn't be part of an electrical CoC but the 12V power wiring to the actual lighting would require a CoC.

Email problem
    Thanks
    Thanks AndyD

So I take it the same goes for the 12V lighting. Leave all the wiring to normalize if needed and don't mix 12VDC and 220VAC.