Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gas And Petrol ?

Suspended
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tec0 View Post
    Got a little something going that you will like but i am yet to figure out the electronics... Anyhow GAS in my area is not expensive at all, Got my 8KG filled up for R120. If you work it out i pay about 15cent per 1kg. But i think that did change... i need to do a refill next week will give you new price then. Generator on the other hand yea all i can say is go Diesel... Yes it is louder and yes it is heavy but well worth it... I know you do get "gas" generators i haven't tried one yet friend of mine owns one he tells me it goes for a very long time on 3kg of gas but i don't know his running times maybe something worth exploring.

i was stupid installed a gas water-heater that is way to small, am upgrading to a 16L per minute one "if i am not mistaken" cost is not high on it. Found one going for about R4.5k That is not bad. But was told that you do get them for a bit cheaper still.

But it must be installed on the outside away from drains and windows/doors and must be inspected? Did you get the same installation guidelines?
    15c per 1kg does not work out to R120 for 8kg !!!!!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I think he meant R15 a KG = 120/8 = 15

1KG of gas is equivalent to 1L of petrol.

I usually pay R190 for 9KG, much higher.

Maybe 'gasification' is the solution, where 1.5KG of wood will produce 1m^3 of gas which when compressed will weigh 1KG.

It is fairly easier to make the gasification tank and scrubber, just need some time and a workshop. There are a number of plans on the net showing how to make the system.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

3. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (06-Aug-15)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Justloadit View Post
    I think he meant R15 a KG = 120/8 = 15

1KG of gas is equivalent to 1L of petrol.

I usually pay R190 for 9KG, much higher.

Maybe 'gasification' is the solution, where 1.5KG of wood will produce 1m^3 of gas which when compressed will weigh 1KG.

It is fairly easier to make the gasification tank and scrubber, just need some time and a workshop. There are a number of plans on the net showing how to make the system.
    i made the correction accordingly, sorry bout that it is called "going without sleep for nearly 40 hours" The brain does get tired eventually. As far as i know certification is needed on gas but is worried about theft. There are reports of gas cylinders themselves are being targeted for theft. Not just where i live but many other areas. So was looking into using expanded metal mesh to maybe fabricate some kind of a cover that can be locked securely.

It will also stop people from tampering with it messing around with it. I don't know if this is allowed or not ?? Any ideas on that?
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    A galvanized adjustable plate metal bracket bolted to the wall with a locking device to prevent theft of the gas tank.

the bracket protrudes the correct distance and is hooked at the bottom to receive the lower rim and weight of the tank, is bolted with heavy duty rawl or similar bolts to the area behind the tank to prevent fiddling when the tank is mounted and a curved adjustable section at the top which drops into the top rim to firmly fix the cylinder in place, this has a locking device (Padlock or similar with protection shield)

Can be designed to adjust and accept 9 and 18 Kg or larger tanks as required, so if 18 is normal and only 9 is available no problem.
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Suspended
    Thanks
    As far as I know gas containers HAVE to be kept in a ventilated lockable cage.

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Chaps, be aware too that LPG prices are, like petrol, determined by the Department Of Energy and revised every month.

Sellers may charge less, but not more. Every winter the price is increased by some dealers, which is actually illegal.

The price at the moment was revised 5 August. I have attached the determination. You will need to look up the relevant Area Code on Dept Energy website. LPG-Regulations (2).pdf

Thanks

Gas regulations

Wrong, HR - they don't have to be in lockable cage.

The regulations for Gas installations are below: I recently had to research to ensure one on my Clients complied.

Gas.pdf

9. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (06-Aug-15)

Suspended
    Thanks
    Ok .... I got a quote to install a gas geyser with two bottles outside - The guy told me it had to be in a cage. Looks like he was confused.

Thanks
    I think a gas water heater is a very reasonable option. I don't think gas heating is much cheaper (if any) than electrical heating but they have much lower losses because they're not constantly holding 200 litres of hot water which I think is where most of the savings are coming. This is offset against the inconvenience of having to keep a spare bottle and having to get refills every few months....but hey, you can't have everything I guess. I have a gas geyser in the workshop and offices to supply the bathrooms including 2 x showers, the workshops and the kitchen. Off hand I think the output is 22 litres per minute which with hindsight was maybe oversized, the showers are very hot and difficult to balance to a comfortable temperature with the cold water. The gas heater cost around R3500.00 last year which was cheaper than those useless steel geysers that last a year or two if you're lucky.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    As promised did a refill yesterday here is the math

7kg gas cylinder cost me little over R153 to refill. It is of note that out of the 4 places doing refills only 1 had gas to sell.
    Math 153/7 = 21,85714285714286
    Rounded amount = 21,86

So that is R21,86 per 1Kg

A hell of a lot more then last time.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12