Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do I become an electrical contractor?

Thanks

How do I become an electrical contractor?

How do I become an electrical contractor? Do I have to be an artisan?

I have developed a keen interest in Solar PV and would like to become involved in installing systems.
    I have a T4 (heavy current ) from Vaal Triangle Technikon plus many years experience in the energy management field. For the past 14 years I have worked at an electrical engineering company that manufactures and sells industrial instrumentation.

Problem is I am 54yo and have a family to support.

Regards
    Paul

Thanks
    Hi Pual I might be wrong but as far as I know anybody can register as an electrical contractor.The problem comes with the installation you have to be an installation electrician or have one in full time employ Like I said I might be wrong

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Good day Paul.

I am not the DoL or for that matter any authorised person doing training, but what I can do is advise and share my own experience and what I have come to learn.
    In our recent training with the Electrical Inspector around Solar PV alot of concerns where mentioned and a lot of unhappy faces since a lot of the installers where well trained and good at what they do, but did not meet the requirements in accordance to standards. Mostly electrical / electronic engineers.

What I have come to know is that if you have a degree such as T4, the road to becoming a IE or MIE is much quicker and easier than starting from scratch.
    SEE PAGE 5 OPTION 3 2.3.1 of the OHSA link attached

I will try and find the DoL gazette document which indicates the requirements and post it here, but here is a link that should work. http://www.labour.gov.za/DOL/downloa...lation2014.pdf

From what I remember and that also having advised my father-in-law who is and electrical power system protection engineer ECSA registered as professional who is now in his mid 50s that he would have to get his degrees / experience "mitigated" by SAQA http://www.saqa.org.za/ in order for it to stand in level with what DoL require. Other than that is the Paper 1 & 2 Installation rules (which is very easy) and the unit standards (which is a coarse that is done at an approved provider where a portfolio of evidence is created and sent to EWSETA)

All of this can be done part time. The coarse is the only thing that will require a few days away from work and some degree of frustration cause as I understand from new persons doing their portfolio of evidence, you are required to do a single phase and 3phase CoC with an registered person which can be a bit daunting.

Good luck to you

Thanks
    Dieter, Karel,

Thanks for the information. It seems there might be a light at the end of the tunnel for me. Is there a place where I can get the definitive story - maybe the ECA or ECBSA?

Is this a lucrative career change? I have always believed that these high tech IT-type jobs where people are afraid to get their hands dirty will come and go but the jobs where some manual skills will always be there. People will always need plumbing or electrical stuff repaired.

And I like the idea of saving the planet a little bit as well as love the idea of getting free energy!

Regards
    Paul

Thanks
    /subscribing

Thanks
    Dieter,

Man - the EWSETA website is confusing. It only seems to tell me how wonderful they are.
    Can you tell me where or how I can do Paper 1 and 2? And the unit standards.
    Just a link will be great

Thank you
    Paul

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by paulbloggs View Post
    l
    The ECA in Joburg runs the course a couple of times a year, it runs over 8 weeks, 2 days a week I think. Used to be weekends. The exam is sat at kempton park college when I did it. (think you can approach Kemton park college if you just want to sit the exam, not sure)

Also P and T (http://pandttechnology.co.za/courses/) do it as well I think. They can also help with the unit standards as well.

Hope it helps

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    As skatingsparks said, PnT Tech will be the better option. I am doing my Unit Standards for hazardous locations with them this week.
    For paper 1 and 2, most technical colleges would offer this. I did my specialized codes through Technicol SA. Installation codes I went straight to Tshwane South College and ran classes twice a week from 4pm to 6pm. My recommendation would be to go do a crash course (if you have somewhat knowledge on electrical installations and regulatory requirements) as this will save you the time of going to classes every week and also the headache of standing in queues for registration of exams.

I do not know how PnT Technologies are with the installation codes, but as far as I could find they are very well known for the unit standards and best priced.
    EWSETA is useless, don't even bother with them (just like any other government instatution...) Give it time and the will also be taken apart.

http://pandttechnology.co.za/portfol...rules-paper-1/
    http://pandttechnology.co.za/portfol...rules-paper-2/
    http://pandttechnology.co.za/portfol...ialcommercial/

http://www.technicolsa.co.za/cp/1290...allation-rules

Quote Originally Posted by paulbloggs View Post
    Dieter,

Man - the EWSETA website is confusing. It only seems to tell me how wonderful they are.
    Just a link will be great

Thank you
    Paul

9. Thanks given for this post:

AndyD (22-Aug-15)

Thanks
    Thanks guys -
    Is it possible to only write the exams or do I have to do a course?

I see on the PnT website it says I have to buy the study material elsewhere:

Note these codes and standards do not form part of the course cost and must be purchased prior to participation on the program.

Occupational Health and Safety Act, Act 85 of 1993
    SANS 10142-1 2008
    SANS 10198-1:2004
    SANS 10198-2:2004
    SANS 10292:2001
    SANS 1973-3:2008

Do I need all of those?
    Do I buy them from the SABS or is there a shop in the Sandton, Jhb area?

Thanks
    Paul

Thanks
    I did the classes with P&T, could have gone solo but it was good to have chats and network a bit if you are not in the industry. You still have to put in a lot of time on your own. The emphasis is on memorising the codes. Easier for some than others. Also marking apparently is an issue, some want to see answers given verbatim.

You can just register for the exams at various centres, contact SAJ in Germiston, I went via them. http://www.saj.co.za

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast