Thread: How long would it take a professional to draft up a Business Model

Thanks

How long would it take a professional to draft up a Business Model

Hi guys,

I would just like to year from you veterans how long it would take a skilled professional to draft up as in-depth business model?

Suspended
    Thanks
    One week

Gold Member
    Thanks
    You're going to need to educate me here. What type of professional would do this and what exactly do you mean by a business "model"? Do you perhaps mean a business plan?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BusFact View Post
    You're going to need to educate me here. What type of professional would do this and what exactly do you mean by a business "model"? Do you perhaps mean a business plan?
    No the business model. every company that starts up, has an initial Business model. then after that the actual business plan is developed.

The business plan just puts thing in perspective and gives you a good view of key fields such as Activities, resources, partners and Value proposition.

The only reason why i ask this is because I have been busy with a business model for a company which I hope to have up and running by next year.

I started a week ago. and the document is about 11 pages. After refining some things I will canvas it like So:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Facebook-business-model example.jpg 
Views:	623 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	5675

Name:	Google-business-model example.jpg 
Views:	1575 
Size:	80.3 KB 
ID:	5676

Name:	Twitter-business-model example.jpg 
Views:	1451 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	5677

And then I will start with the business plan. The canvasing will take an afternoon as all the information is in the document created before hand.
    But yeah, i would like to know how long it would take a skilled person to draft it up. it took my 1 and a half weeks. just want to know if that is very slow or a good time estimate.

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Ok, sorry can't add value. The only time I've ever heard the term "business model" being used is when they mean "how the hell are we going to make money out of this thing?". Do we sell advertising to viewers; sell product for commission as an agent; sell with a mark up for profit; subscription based; etc. I've never heard of it being something requiring a professional to design. Its typically something decided after a brief bought of thought.

It seems awfully complicated and expensive to go through this process, and only then start on the more common business plan process. Heck, I reckon most business plans are mostly an entrepreneurs "wish list" any way, with perhaps a day or two of applying their mind, doing some calcs, maybe some online research and then putting the info down on a spread sheet. A cost of a few days of the entrepreneurs time at most. Maybe I'm just a cynic though.

The exception of course is big business, when millions is to be ploughed into a new venture.

Platinum Member sterne.law@gmail.com's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    No guidelines. How long is a ball of string?
    It is possible to have a 1 page plan and still be good.
    Its your game plan.
    Measurable objectives. Planned why to achieve, what is needed.
    More important is to actually use the plan, not stick it in a cupboard after getting the money. That being said, re look at plan and adjust as required, not because you did not make it but because the market dictates or the factors have changed, or, you got something wrong.
    Anthony Sterne

www.acumenholdings.co.za
    DISCLAIMER The above is merely a comment in discussion form and an open public arena. It does not constitute a legal opinion or professional advice in any manner or form.

7. Thanks given for this post:

Citizen X (18-Jun-15)