Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Get Windows 10

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    @tecO you should give puppy linux a try Puppy Linux You can install it directly on the the windows drive as frugal install(from Puppy install grub to make PC dual Boot). It is one of the fastest linux distros out there and the download is about 150mb only, the program files are small as well lke 50kb. You can also install windows programs to run on a linux distro using "wine". I have being using Linux for over 15 years, the only time I use windows is to run Pastel.

2. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (07-Aug-15)

Suspended
    Thanks
    If if wasnt for the disclaimer I would call you paranoid.
    You are quite right there murray

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by murray View Post
    I suppose you own a house and rent another one so you can go there and hide from people that know where you live...

If if wasnt for the disclaimer I would call you paranoid.
    i had a very long response typed out here but deleted it. Simple questions are. Who is more paranoid; me thinking my bank statements is for my eyes only or Microsoft wanting to go trough ALL information and files stored on the system? Think about that...

Now would you let a total stranger come into your home document your belongings/bank information and just leave? Must say you are a brave person most people would tell that stranger to leave.

This is not about hiding anything it is about who is accessing that information and why. More importantly can i hold them accountable if confidential projects leak to the competition?
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

5. Thanks given for this post:

irneb (08-Aug-15)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vieome View Post
    @tecO you should give puppy linux a try Puppy Linux You can install it directly on the the windows drive as frugal install(from Puppy install grub to make PC dual Boot). It is one of the fastest linux distros out there and the download is about 150mb only, the program files are small as well lke 50kb. You can also install windows programs to run on a linux distro using "wine". I have being using Linux for over 15 years, the only time I use windows is to run Pastel.
    I will look into it thanks, vieome
    peace is a state of mind

Suspended
    Thanks
    Lol ... Really

Thanks
    Dave you should definitely go for the upgrade windows 10 is one of the best operating system Microsoft has to offer

Check the below video for windows 10 brief review

https://youtu.be/zoutLUppiQQ

but before upgrading just check the compatibility of your system if its compatible you should give it a try

Email problem
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tec0 View Post
    i had a very long response typed out here but deleted it. Simple questions are. Who is more paranoid; me thinking my bank statements is for my eyes only or Microsoft wanting to go trough ALL information and files stored on the system? Think about that...

Now would you let a total stranger come into your home document your belongings/bank information and just leave? Must say you are a brave person most people would tell that stranger to leave.

This is not about hiding anything it is about who is accessing that information and why. More importantly can i hold them accountable if confidential projects leak to the competition?
    I would change banks if I was this paranoid, to one that did not use unencrypted distribution of bank statements. Personally I think my bank balance is of no interest to Microsoft, since its in monopoly money (ZAR).

Personally I think its just some legal clause to protect Microsoft from a lawsuit for violating the privacy compromised if, by accident, they access your info. I dont think they are the big evil company you are making them out to be...

There are ways to secure your data. Encryption. If you have projects you dont want leaked out, maybe even have a seperate computer which is never connected to a network. Make sure you have a nice long password in case Spy vs Spy visits. Most of us normal people dont have to worry about industrial espionage.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by murray View Post
    I would change banks if I was this paranoid, to one that did not use unencrypted distribution of bank statements. Personally I think my bank balance is of no interest to Microsoft, since its in monopoly money (ZAR).

Personally I think its just some legal clause to protect Microsoft from a lawsuit for violating the privacy compromised if, by accident, they access your info. I dont think they are the big evil company you are making them out to be...

There are ways to secure your data. Encryption. If you have projects you dont want leaked out, maybe even have a seperate computer which is never connected to a network. Make sure you have a nice long password in case Spy vs Spy visits. Most of us normal people dont have to worry about industrial espionage.
    You would be wrong to assume that. This is not about spy vs spy, or what they can or can't see. As i stated before it is about liability. If someone wants to know the combination to your safe then for obvious reasons you would like to know why they need to know and what will happen if something goes missing. This is all that this is about.

simple take on this is "if the crap hits the fan someone must take accountability" If they are willing to simply state outright that our information will be added to there database then i expect them to keep us safe. If my safety is compromised i expect accountability.

right now it is a one way street and that is my problem.

Accountability it is as simple as that. Right now there is no system to monitor them on my behalf and there is no system i can use once there is a problem. Like you said we live in a third world with useless paper money. But there is no system... America for example have several systems each able act on the people's behalf. What do we have?
    peace is a state of mind

Suspended
    Thanks
    Eish ..... Paranoid is an understatement .....

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    there are many older articles about windows 10 long before it got to this stage now.

Windows 10: Permission to keylog

The document reveals that Windows 10 can collect and use data in a variety of astounding ways, sending it to Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ:MSFT) at any time without the user being aware.

“If you open a file, we may collect information about the file, the application used to open the file, and how long it takes any use [of] it for purposes such as improving performance, or [if you] enter text, we may collect typed characters, we may collect typed characters and use them for purposes such as improving autocomplete and spellcheck features,” it states.

Effectively by accepting the Windows 10 privacy policy you are giving Microsoft permission to screen your files, and log your keystrokes.

source
    What is keylog/keylogging?

Keystroke logging, often referred to as keylogging or keyboard capturing, is the action of recording (or logging) the keys struck on a keyboard, typically in a covert manner so that the person using the keyboard is unaware that their actions are being monitored.[1] It has uses in the study of human–computer interaction. There are numerous keylogging methods, ranging from hardware and software-based approaches to acoustic analysis.

source
    Clearly there is much more to this then just simple worries. Everything we do online does need some type of user name and password protection. What good is your bank password if someone can see it? What good is your e-mail password if someone can see it? What good is your gaming account password if someone can see it? What good is your facebook password if someone can see it? What can a person potentially do with all these password? Well they can mess around with your social life business communications and banking as well as other financials

Security exist for a reason and that is to secure information and access. There is a concern here and it is a big one... Well as a thread i think Windows 10 has been explored. My final word of advice is use it at your own risk and know that privacy is dead officially. Paranoid or not doesn't mean they are not after you because clearly they are and is actively collecting any and all data that they can.
    peace is a state of mind

13. Thanks given for this post:

bones (15-Aug-15)

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast