Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Get Windows 10

Gold Member
    Thanks
    What exactly is meant by "your data is being mined" - to a layman?

Email problem
    Thanks
    Hi BusFact,

Data mining is defined as the practice of examining large pre-existing databases in order to generate new information.

In simple terms as it relates to Windows 10, there are concerns that the text in internet searches you do, documents you write, documents you save, emails you write and so forth are saved on a server and analysed in order to better target ads to you. Facebook, for example, already does this with anything you write on Facebook. The concern with Windows 10 is that this will now be done with anything you write on Windows 10.

Hope this makes some sort of sense.

3. Thanks given for this post:

BusFact (04-Aug-15)

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Thanks MacGee. I can't say I'm overly concerned with targeted adds, but as with Gmail, its more the concern over who else gets to access confidential info.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGee View Post
    Hi BusFact,

Data mining is defined as the practice of examining large pre-existing databases in order to generate new information.

In simple terms as it relates to Windows 10, there are concerns that the text in internet searches you do, documents you write, documents you save, emails you write and so forth are saved on a server and analysed in order to better target ads to you. Facebook, for example, already does this with anything you write on Facebook. The concern with Windows 10 is that this will now be done with anything you write on Windows 10.

Hope this makes some sort of sense.
    I think i need to test this thing out on a 1GB prepaid data bundle. Something tells me this is going to be a data heavy product like android. Not only are they mining but actual data consumption is going to be heavy. I recall that you can disable updates from windows xp, to windows 8.1 I wonder if the option still exists.

Simple reality is if you run 7 or more computers each downloading updates at the same time constantly your cap will not last "depending on your line/contract" it might also slow the network down. Internet was suppose to be an add-on to your local LAN, now you can hardly function without it.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    Regarding the extra data for W10, that is my worry too ... especially as the very first update constituted a 500MB download.

About the data mining ... that's just plain wrong, but you have to agree with it else you're not allowed to use W10. There's a clause in the end user license agreement:
    Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary.
    Plainly that gives them the right to upload all your personal stuff from any file / email on your computer. Here's a rant about the very issue, with some work-arounds (though just how much they help I'm not sure, i.e. similar to that "opt-out" idea which IMO just marks you for "prime to be mined"): http://www.slate.com/articles/techno...em.single.html

Another issue I have with W10, is some of the features of W7 and W8 which was removed - these seem to be extra for a fee in W10. http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonke...s-10-charging/
    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves. - Norm Franz
    And central banks are the slave clearing houses

7. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (06-Aug-15)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    what happened to the good old days when games was on CDs or DVDs and would simply work on a computer or gaming system. Or when your biggest worry was what your 56k dial op modem's password was... E-mail was a simple hi and bye mail and a photo or two to show your friends that your girlfriend wasn't imaginary? Today we have steam that killed the local LANs and single player gaming. We have Microsoft and Google logging our every breath and to add we get to pay for the data that they use to spy on us.

Data mining is big business and more to the point so is information gathering. Imagine writing a book and someone gets hold of your early script and go publish it. What chance do you have in proving that you wrote it first and that someone stole it? Sending that e-mail to your wife's best friend gets logged and targeted advertisement starts sending you divorce lawyer's information? Our Phones have virtual pets that force you to watch advertisements and forcing you to tell your friends how cool there product is.

Seriously?

Ask yourself is your notebook/laptop pc and phone really yours? The answer is no... Try ridding yourself of all the crap that comes installed on your phone. You will find that it is not that easy. I have been experimenting on a old computer how to run Linux effectively safely, how to configure the firewalls even got use to the free word processor. Then it hit me. Two systems is the answer here.

I configured the one running Linux to do the internet stuff and kept my Windows system away from any and all networks. So now my word documents are safe alongside my other content. I found a stand alone antivirus type program that can be updated by downloading files for it and just use a USB thumb-drive/flash-drive to update it and there you go.

Then i realized I can do more then just run Linux, i can run it off a USB thumb-drive/flash-drive and continued to clone 2 OS "one on DVD" the second on the USB thumb-drive/flash-drive. Now i have the option to clear my system after every internet session. Restoring it takes a few minutes and i can get away without having to maintain multiple hard-drives...

So what of Windows 10? We all know how this enema works by now. They will simply force you to use it... So maybe it is seriously time to get rid of it and show Microsoft we are prepared to go without them. Yes business is one-thing but your home PC??? Consider your home computer has family photos, diary, private mail between you and close friends... Do you really want Microsoft to copy and send all of that to there head office so that someone you don't even know can look at all the content?

Maybe it is time to step back and start a public protest demanding privacy! Get some hard core lawyers involved and get the media buzzing. We shouldn't stand for this or allow it.

The phone you buy is your property, as is the computer and tablet not to mention your gaming system and TV.
    peace is a state of mind

9. Thanks given for this post:

irneb (08-Aug-15)

Suspended
    Thanks
    I hate microsoft and that is one of the reasons I went Mac

Email problem
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tec0 View Post
    I have been experimenting on a old computer how to run Linux effectively safely, how to configure the firewalls even got use to the free word processor. Then it hit me. Two systems is the answer here.

I configured the one running Linux to do the internet stuff and kept my Windows system away from any and all networks. So now my word documents are safe alongside my other content. I found a stand alone antivirus type program that can be updated by downloading files for it and just use a USB thumb-drive/flash-drive to update it and there you go.

Then i realized I can do more then just run Linux, i can run it off a USB thumb-drive/flash-drive and continued to clone 2 OS "one on DVD" the second on the USB thumb-drive/flash-drive. Now i have the option to clear my system after every internet session. Restoring it takes a few minutes and i can get away without having to maintain multiple hard-drives...
    I suppose you own a house and rent another one so you can go there and hide from people that know where you live...

If if wasnt for the disclaimer I would call you paranoid.

Email problem
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HR Solutions View Post
    I hate microsoft and that is one of the reasons I went Mac
    Every time I have to use a mac, I am thinking "what are these guys on?" I dont get it. I am convinced the mind altering substances Steve Jobs took did some permanent altering to his brain.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Not to turn the thread on its head but let us look as some alternatives.

Here is one for the steam gamer...

I will be giving this ago soon, I personally hate any system that forces you to play single player online but what are you going to do about it? As it stand now this will become a norm. What i like however it is free and has a Linux back bone so you can add to it get it working to do other stuff.

However note the following.

Installing and Customizing SteamOS
    What are the SteamOS Hardware Requirements?
    Processor:
    Intel or AMD 64-bit capable processor

Memory:
    4GB or more RAM

Hard Drive:
    500GB or larger disk

Video Card:
    NVIDIA graphics card
    AMD graphics card (RADEON 8500 and later)
    Intel graphics

Additional:
    UEFI boot support
    USB port for installation

source
    I know some people dislike it when we post videos explaining stuff but i think it is worth the watch as it explains a lot especially for our gaming community on here
    Last edited by tec0; 07-Aug-15 at 06:29 PM.
    peace is a state of mind

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast