Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Get Windows 10

Thanks
    I haven't reserved mine yet IMHO. I am a little wary. As the saying goes "Feeling Lucky? Try updaing your software!"

Let us know how it goes and what you think of it.
    No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop "The Lion and the Mouse"

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IMHO View Post
    Did you guys get it yet? I did the reservation and it says it will only be downloaded on July 29 ?
    That's the launch date. So yeah, a little patience required.

Thanks
    Just saw this
    "Please read: Window 10 is not supported on any fiery"
    This is used to drive our colour printer which we also produce 90% of the positives for our press.
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IanF View Post
    Just saw this
    "Please read: Window 10 is not supported on any fiery"
    This is used to drive our colour printer which we also produce 90% of the positives for our press.
    We had the same issue with Océ before - drivers for XP to the RIP server on our TDS600 was never updated to work on Vista/7/8/etc. Necessitated throwing out a perfectly working large format laser printer and replacing it with a new one for half a bar, just because MS killed the drivers/network connection protocol and Océ saw a way of making extra money off their customers by forcing them to buy new equipment.

As to W10 working for me, I've been trying it out (the preview edition since mid-last-year) inside a WMWare Player install on my Kubuntu. It seems to work "nice", though some of the drivers don't work (as yet) - e.g. the graphics for passthrough in the VM to my Geforce card is simply non-functional. But my biggest gripe is that some of my required programs are yet to work on W10, Revit 2015/6 simply doesn't want to even try installing - simply states unsupported OS. May probably have to wait for their 2017 version - which should be out by Feb next year (yep AutoDesk counts using marketing number systems).
    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves. - Norm Franz
    And central banks are the slave clearing houses

Thanks
    I have been told the way round this is to setup hotfolders for your rip and you drop the PDF in there and then print from the fiery workstation. Naturally this is an additional paid option from fiery. I get frustrated by the technology cycle as most new features are never used.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IanF View Post
    I have been told the way round this is to setup hotfolders for your rip and you drop the PDF in there and then print from the fiery workstation. Naturally this is an additional paid option from fiery. I get frustrated by the technology cycle as most new features are never used.
    Yes, we did something similar (at least to begin with), not PDF but either PS or HPGL2(PRN) files created by some HP Plotter driver which we then save into a shared folder on the server (at the time we used a Slackware server so the Win NT4 RIP machine could still link to it, once we "upgraded" to a Win 2008 server that was out of the question also).

But even that scenario isn't possible to automate. For some reason MS decided that setting a printer driver to save to file means the files are only on local discs, not network shares, and the user access rights are only the administrators. Which in turn meant each PC had a "temp-plot" folder, each user had to be given admin rights (big whoop MS ... way to force users to screw up security), and have a custom program constantly run in the background to check if the folder contained anything so it would copy it off into the shared folder.

In the end it got so screwed up that the company just bought the damned "new" plotter ... it wasn't faster / better / more robust than the old one, to the contrary, it was more expensive on running costs, was about 20% slower, didn't give as great black and grey shades, constantly got stuck as its paper rolls were incredibly finicky about being installed precisely to the half-millimetre, only had a large format scanner built in (on top so you couldn't print while scanning), etc. etc. Basically paid through the nose to be much worse off than before, just because the RIP server ran on an old Windows which didn't communicate with the new Windows on the workstations.
    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves. - Norm Franz
    And central banks are the slave clearing houses

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by irneb View Post
    Yes, we did something similar (at least to begin with), not PDF but either PS or HPGL2(PRN) files created by some HP Plotter driver which we then save into a shared folder on the server (at the time we used a Slackware server so the Win NT4 RIP machine could still link to it, once we "upgraded" to a Win 2008 server that was out of the question also).

But even that scenario isn't possible to automate. For some reason MS decided that setting a printer driver to save to file means the files are only on local discs, not network shares, and the user access rights are only the administrators. Which in turn meant each PC had a "temp-plot" folder, each user had to be given admin rights (big whoop MS ... way to force users to screw up security), and have a custom program constantly run in the background to check if the folder contained anything so it would copy it off into the shared folder.

In the end it got so screwed up that the company just bought the damned "new" plotter ... it wasn't faster / better / more robust than the old one, to the contrary, it was more expensive on running costs, was about 20% slower, didn't give as great black and grey shades, constantly got stuck as its paper rolls were incredibly finicky about being installed precisely to the half-millimetre, only had a large format scanner built in (on top so you couldn't print while scanning), etc. etc. Basically paid through the nose to be much worse off than before, just because the RIP server ran on an old Windows which didn't communicate with the new Windows on the workstations.
    Wow that is bad. I have thrown away some lemons but got value from the machines. The skew on wide format is horrible problems we mainly print on 120 GSM or heavier paper and that loads quite nicely but is big bucks. We don't have a wide format scanner the printer with the scanner gave us test prints that wouldn't dry so that took care of getting a scanner.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    saw a windows tablet yesterday and loved how it is very close to being an actual PC. Made by HP, it looked good but figured if the start button is back it will be actually not good for this type of system. This is what i would recommend if i was still in the IT business. Get a test rig going make sure everything you want to work can work on it then then do the update see what happens. It is the only sure fire way to keep your business safe and do tests.

i personally would still hang on to windows 8.1 till it is no longer supported by Microsoft. OS incompatibility is crippling for businesses and i wouldn't risk it. If you are running Windows 7 pro do the test because it is a lot older then windows 8.1 But if you are like me and everything is going on windows 8.1 leave it be or do the test rig.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Suspended
    Thanks
    I seriously don't have the time or the inclination to do "tests". I would rather decide what to buy after doing research and go in and buy it !
    I bought my Mac about a year ago and never looked back. Mac is not for everyone but there are plenty other makes out there that would suit you. Right now I need to buy a lightweight laptop for my wife. She hates Mac but there there are certainly similar looking/feeling laptops out there. Storage size on a computer is also no longer important as most stuff is kept offline. All our packages we work on is kept offline. There is absolutely NO need for a big storage computer for us anymore. Important to us is speed and weight. I am going to buy here a lightweight laptop and downgrade it to Windows 7. It is still totally usable and the best out there.

Thanks
    Macs have the same problems as PCs when it comes to drivers and programmes. The mac guys have to check if the stuff they use is compatible with the latest OS.

11. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (11-Jun-15)

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast