Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rechargeable Light bulbs

Thanks
    This sounds very interesting. Please keep us updated on stocks and how it works. I've seen similar, but they have a switch on the bulb itself you need to activate. They don't come on automatically.
    Do you deliver and if so, at what cost? Doubt they'll be available in my small town.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    How does the bulb know the difference between a power failure, and normally switching the light switch off?

I have worked it out in my mind, just want to make sure that I am on the same page.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I would be very concerned and stay very far away from it, if it works with the earth of the switch...eeeeeish.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I know why I am not rich, because i dont rape the gulible public

Thanks
    hahaha... oh snap why did I assume your name is Dave

But Okay sure, I will keep you posted on when the shipment arrives.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    I would be very concerned and stay very far away from it, if it works with the earth of the switch...eeeeeish.
    I really do not know how it works, we were just guessing it works on the earth line. Because we do not know how the bulb picks up the power is off - the eart line was just a guess. We switched our power off on the mains at the board and the bulb would not go on but as soon as we experienced load shedding it would come on. strange I know and still cant really explain to you how it knows

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JLK View Post
    We switched our power off on the mains at the board and the bulb would not go on but as soon as we experienced load shedding it would come on. strange I know and still cant really explain to you how it knows
    Yep just as I guessed. There is some electronics inside the globe, which is powered by the rechargeable battery. This electronic circuit measures the line impedance when the power is off. When you switch off at the wall switch, the LN line will show a very high impedance as there is very few loads on the same circuit, however when there is a power failure, the line impedance is very low because it probably measures the transformer impedance, so the electronics then switches the light on.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Suspended
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    I know why I am not rich, because i dont rape the gulible public

it works ians ... I've see them .....

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Justloadit View Post
    Yep just as I guessed. There is some electronics inside the globe, which is powered by the rechargeable battery. This electronic circuit measures the line impedance when the power is off. When you switch off at the wall switch, the LN line will show a very high impedance as there is very few loads on the same circuit, however when there is a power failure, the line impedance is very low because it probably measures the transformer impedance, so the electronics then switches the light on.
    Hmm, call me a cynic but I'm not convinced . I guess it's possible in theory but in practice it would need to be constantly injecting a test signal into the supply and it would need considerable intelligence built into it. There's a couple of other issues as well such as during a power outage it would likely only 'see' the other loads connected to the installation(s) rather than the secondary side of the supply transformer. The impedance of the other lamps, transformers, ballasts, drivers or PSU's on the same switch circuit would also be an issue because this impedance would remain regardless of the circuit being switched on or off. Also if there was more than one of these things on a supply transformer they'd likely interfere with each other unless they all use a unique test signal.

I'm just thinking outloud here and I'll be the first to say that anything's possible so I'd be very interested if someone would purchase one and promptly reverse engineer it to satisfy my curiosity and let me know how it works

Thanks
    Another confusing thing is the fact that it works on a bed lamp which is not plugged into a wall... It comes on and off with the lamps switch. Little mind boggling to the average person.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast