Thread: Private vs public sector salaries

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Private vs public sector salaries

This article got me thinking about the consequences of the new order of things when it comes to remuneration.
    Lekota warns on ANC greed and theft
    ANC chairperson Mosiuoa Lekota says many ambitious, poor-quality "comrades" occupy government positions, and some steal public funds because politics doesn't pay.

Speaking at the commemoration of former ANC leader Peter Nchabeleng in Limpopo on Saturday, Lekota said: "Many of the comrades occupy positions which they don't understand, but those positions should have been occupied by men and women of quality. They came here thinking they would make money and drive BMW X5 and Benz.

"Those positions are there for people who want to go and work for the people. If you want to be rich, don't come and be a councillor, an MEC, a cabinet minister.
    full story from IOL here
    There was a time when salaries in the civil service were generally lower than an equivalent job with a business. Whilst there was a substantial amount of grumbling about this, the trade off was job security - and a rather healthy and secure payout at pension or end-of-service time.

Nowadays it seems the situation is reversed. Remuneration within the civil service is generally far more lucrative than in the private sector. I know that I've been shaking my head at some of the packages on offer.

And there seems to be little doubt that many feel the easiest path to a fancy car is through a government job.

Is the real problem that the government is simply paying too well?

Thanks
    In a way I think it is the one sure place where the ANC can ensure that the "previously disadvantaged" gets what is "due" to them. If you look at the entry and lower level government employees that are truly not earning a living wage. But the top levels of government is earning very good salaries.

I am surprised at Lekota 's remarks as they have experienced increases unseen in the past! Definitely increases that have not been experienced by the lower levels of government. They are earning huge salaries. Besides, if they entered the private sector with the same attitudes, I can think of a couple of ministers, MEC's etc. that would have been without a job.
    Roelof Vermeulen (Entrepreneurship in large organizations)
    Roelof Vermeulen| Rock flaps south africa

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Mosiuoa Lekota's views are indeed most interesting, and personally I expect to come back to that.

But right now I'm pretty curious that there hasn't been any argument about the public sector paying better than the private sector. Is this really the case, or is this just an impression based on my small business background?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    But right now I'm pretty curious that there hasn't been any argument about the public sector paying better than the private sector. Is this really the case, or is this just an impression based on my small business background?
    The only field I know anything about is the heath care sector, and in general take home pay is lower in the public sector. For your higher level healthcare workers the options are pretty much the security of a public sector job, locum positions, or your own practice.
    [SIGPIC]Engineer Simplicity[/SIGPIC]
    Turn ideas into products | The Art of Engineering blog