This article got me thinking about the consequences of the new order of things when it comes to remuneration.
Lekota warns on ANC greed and theft
ANC chairperson Mosiuoa Lekota says many ambitious, poor-quality "comrades" occupy government positions, and some steal public funds because politics doesn't pay.

Speaking at the commemoration of former ANC leader Peter Nchabeleng in Limpopo on Saturday, Lekota said: "Many of the comrades occupy positions which they don't understand, but those positions should have been occupied by men and women of quality. They came here thinking they would make money and drive BMW X5 and Benz.

"Those positions are there for people who want to go and work for the people. If you want to be rich, don't come and be a councillor, an MEC, a cabinet minister.
full story from IOL here
There was a time when salaries in the civil service were generally lower than an equivalent job with a business. Whilst there was a substantial amount of grumbling about this, the trade off was job security - and a rather healthy and secure payout at pension or end-of-service time.

Nowadays it seems the situation is reversed. Remuneration within the civil service is generally far more lucrative than in the private sector. I know that I've been shaking my head at some of the packages on offer.

And there seems to be little doubt that many feel the easiest path to a fancy car is through a government job.

Is the real problem that the government is simply paying too well?