Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Xenophobic Attacks in South Africa

Email problem
    Thanks

Xenophobic Attacks in South Africa

Well, I don't know if I am in the right forum (as I believe this should go to Politics).

I however came here to understand how educated South African youths feel about the current wave of attacks on other African immigrants in your townships and cities. People are currently dying for just being foreigners in SA...not for entering SA illegally (which would have been the work of the police)!

I know this is a business/networking forum as I found the below in your about page:

The Forum SA is primarily a South African business discussion forum and networking website, with a touch of politics and life.
    These attacks are hurting:
    1. Business: People's livelihood are being destroyed. SA will thus be viewed as a wrong biz destination by speculators
    2. National/International Politics: Opposition elements will surely make Prez Zuma's life miserable while this lasts. The International community may one day ask serious questions of the SA govt. Retaliation is also a possibility.
    3. Life: Many African brothers and sisters are dying everyday...lives are being lost and we need to talk about it.

I have folks in SA and I am worried about their wellbeing. So I have been thinking about:

1. the causes of these attacks?
    2. what could be done to stop the current one?
    3. how do we put an end to these kinds of attacks in the future?
    4. what steps do the people see the SA govt taking in all these?

Please my new friends, what's your take on this cankerworm that's trying to destroy our unity as a people.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    1. The attacks are driven by jealousy and greed - simple. Guys from outside SA - and within a fairly short time, have little thriving business. Just seem to have better work ethics and better small business brains.
    2. Better policing - prosecuting guys for a start
    3. I would love to say education - but you cannot educate a population that does not feel the need/ want an education in many (but not all!) cases.
    4. Probably the biggest stumbling block. I heard that not a single person was prosecuted over the last spate of attacks - even when the murderers was well know. You do feel the ANC has decided that foreigners deserve to be attacked - pretty disgusting. And of course, the apartheid made me do it card also get's banded about.

5. Welcome to the forum - nice to have a Nigerian on bored.

3. Thanks given for this post:

adrianh (28-Apr-15)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    The instigators are politicians who have no sustainable policy but to entice their followers with hatred for all and everyone that do not agree with their view of the world. Poor education, poverty and greed feed these political dinosaurs who can only think of what they can gain from the situation.

Similar situations can be found in all countries around the globe where you have a low literacy rate, resulting in poverty. Corrupt politicians exploit poor people who are dependent on handouts and charity. To keep the vote they need another "enemy" to blame and take the heat off themselves.

Generally our townships are peaceful, but as soon as the unions and politicians step in with their agendas, the trouble start.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    It is pure criminality. The criminals live in the moment and are happily swept up into rioting. What is the difference between 'mass action' and rioting...in South Africa none.

Locals are not only too lazy to start their own businesses they are also too full of sh1t to employ. Companies employ foreigners not because they are cheap but because they are dedicated to their own future. Locals are dedicated to the past and they feel that the world owes them.

There is a simple solution to all crime in this country namely Swift public punishment. We need to have public floggings and hangings every Satuday afternoon in the local town square. This way the entire community can get to see what happens when you break the law. 3rd world punishment for 3rd world people.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Looking at the Baltimore riots, it seems it just takes a spark for good sense to fly out the window when there are already underlying tensions in place.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Monkey see, monkey do...

Email problem
    Thanks
    From the responses here, I see that the problem revolves around survival. People feel that their being South Africans should ensure they have jobs to feed themselves and their families and as such refuse to bend down to menial jobs or petty biz.

These people also seem to be uneducated or not adequately educated for bluechip jobs. So they vent their frustration on these foreigners who after a few years seem to have broken even and living above board...with the accusation that foreigners occupy their job/empowerment space.

Doesn't look good as these form the majority of youths...

Silver Member
    Thanks
    I remember speaking to a guy living in a township - asked him if he want a couple of spare fruit trees to plant around his RDP house. He said as soon as it got to fruit bearing height, someone would break them down. At some point, I hope these guys start to realise it not white or foreigners holding them back - it's often their families and communities - and it needs to change. Ubuntu - ja, pull the other one, it's got bells on it.

10. Thanks given for this post:

Donmeca (29-Apr-15)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Looking at the Baltimore riots, it seems it just takes a spark for good sense to fly out the window when there are already underlying tensions in place.
    I have feeling that, riot control in America is going get very strict. According to some news groups that is. I personally think the criminal element is responsible for the looting. I am sure the majority of the group had peaceful intent in mind. But word wide in some countries mass gatherings are now being deemed illegal in its entirety because of the costs involved.

well time will tell.

peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    It is said that self control is a function of mental maturity...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast