Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: REGISTERED ELECTRICIANS / TRADE'S MEN & LAYMEN

Bronze Member
    Thanks

Lightbulb REGISTERED ELECTRICIANS / TRADE'S MEN & LAYMEN

Good day everyone

I would like to request everyone on this forum to state their occupation and qualification.
    As I understand there are a variety of different people participating on these forums and I recon it would be good practice to know when asking advise and when giving advise what the person's background are.

I am a registered installation electrician doing domestic / light & heavy commercial installations, maintenance and alterations.
    Currently in the process to obtain my masters under the new option 4 (hopefully by the end of this year...)
    Also do generator back up installations and in the process of adding solar installations to the business (busy with necessary training)
    And I work for myself in the Pretoria / JHB areas.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    With apologies in advance to Dieter, could I just jump on this bandwagon and ask for anyone that is directly connected to the electrical contracting industry to check out the permission groups page here (you will need to be logged in), and apply to join the "Electrical industry group."

Just so you know up front, entry is moderated by AndyD so:
    1. There may be a delay before you are approved, and
    2. If it isn't obvious from your posting profile that you are in the industry, Andy will probably ask you some questions.

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    No prob Dave.
    I also didn't know this and only by accident while looking to update my details came upon that page.

What does this permission do differently towards not applying?

"I used to have a lot of anger issues, now I just have a passion for justice"

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DieterT View Post
    What does this permission do differently towards not applying?
    It gives access to an area of the website not otherwise accessible.

It's still a work in progress and the "qualifications to membership" are not yet cast in stone, but the underlying thought was to have an area available to discuss industry stuff that might best be done out of the general public's eye.

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    It gives access to an area of the website not otherwise accessible.

It's still a work in progress and the "qualifications to membership" are not yet cast in stone, but the underlying thought was to have an area available to discuss industry stuff that might best be done out of the general public's eye.
    I fully agree to this. Any professional industry is not debated nor argued in front of the public. It could be a simple question by a person of the public, but could result in a disagreement between registered persons and result in the industry looking incompetent and even provoke such person to DIY.
    Please do implement this if possible

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    ....Just so you know up front, entry is moderated by AndyD so:
    1. There may be a delay .....
    Hee hee, I was about to object to that statement then I realised I had no grounds on which to base it

Dieter, you should now be able to post in the Electrical Industry Group.

I have a BEng qualification. In my profile I've stated I'm an engineer. My original apprenticeship was Telecoms and I completed my engineering degree after getting my OND and HND in telecommunications. I mainly design commercial and industrial control systems and build panels. I'm don't do work in the domestic electrical field with the exception of some (possibly illegal) DIY work at home .

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I am a sparky I am told sometimes that i am a wire puller this upsets my wife.

The page is not long enough to include all my expertise and experience.

This is the internet you should never trust what you read on the internet.

8. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (15-Apr-15)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I have a certificate and diploma in Electrical Engineering (Light Current), sometimes I wonder what light current is when doing power electronics, 100Amps at 12V is nothing new so what the heck is light current

I did my time designing technical training equipment for schools and colleges, ranging from electronics, pneumatics, electric motors, control systems, air conditioning, and many other faculties which required simulators or equipment to train students. Got a bit bored with it, not the hands on work and engineering from scratch, but the training manuals. I had to write the manuals, and in that time there was no fancy computers or word processors, one had to use a type writer. After doing my first micro controller training system, which I learn't from scratch, I then landed up doing design work for machine operations and controls using microprocessors. This got me into starting a PCB manufacturing plant, to get my boards done quickly. Closed it after one of my shop stewards sabotaged the plating tanks. I have scaled down and now do some controllers for a well known submersible motor company (over 160,000 units to date), and currently fiddling with solar, be it motor pumps, LED lighting and MPPT controllers, including inverters. Part of my hardware includes a pick and place line to assemble my own boards.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Thanks
    Greetings All

I have IT diploma and have more than 10 years in IT environment. I was fascinated by renewable energy like solar and I decided to begin studies in Electrical Engineering. I got N3 courses, busy with COC unit standard and I recently wrote installation rules Paper 1 and 2 and I think I have passed both papers. Also busy with N4 subjects. Results out this week and I can't wait. I will be registering N5 subjects later this year.

I am still learning in the electrical world and do not have the knowledge that most of you have but I am prepared to learn from all your input and comments.

I believe I would be a registered electrician before the end of the year. I do few electrical jobs especially on single phase installation.

Renewable energy is still my passion taking into consideration the challenge that our country is facing. I might also add master electrical installation after getting encouragement from DieterT.

Thanks
    Go for it Linken22 your enthusiasm oh boy what enthusiasm and after you get your masters whats next ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast