Thread: Trade Test

Thanks

Post Trade Test

Hi to All

I just wrote Installation rules Paper 1 on Tuesday and Paper 2 yesterday and busy with POE for COC. Paper 1, no doubt of passing it and paper 2 I believe I passed it too. I got necessary N3 Subject as it is a requirement.

Do I still have to do the trade test?

Linken

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Good day Linkenmk22

Please explain what is POE for CoC?

Here is a list DoL requirements in order to register as an :

2. INSTALLATION ELECTRICIAN

2.1 Minimum theoretical qualification:

N3 certificate with the following two compulsory subjects Mathematics N3; Electrical Trade Theory or Electro-Technology N3 plus one of the following subjects: Electro-Mechanics N3; Industrial Electronics N3; Technical Drawing N3; Engineering Science N3; Logic Systems N3; Instrument Trade Theory N3; Power Station Theory or Science or Electricity N3.

OR

A National Senior Certificate with Mathematics, Electricians SG (Std 10), Electrical work or Technical drawings or Physical science or Applied Science or Electronics or any electrical related subjects. The candidate must pass each subject with at least 40% or more.

AND

Experience and knowledge of a trade:

As a proof of a candidate’s practical proficiency he/she is required to pass the prescribed trade test in terms of the Manpower Training Act of 1981 in one of the following trades:
    Electrician
    Electrician (Engineering)
    Electrician (Construction)
    Millwright (Electro-mechanical)

OR

Candidates holding a National Diploma or Degree in Electrical:

2.3.1 T3 (Heavy Current) or higher
    2.3.2 S4 (Power Engineering) or higher
    2.3.3 BSc, BEng (Electrical) or higher
    2.3.4 Government Certificate of Competency (Factories) Electrical are not required to pass the prescribed trade test in terms of the Manpower Act of 1981

BUT MUST:

2.3.5 Submit a documentary proof of successful completed unit standards of inspection, testing and certification of three-phase industrial installations (except hazardous installations) as lay down by Energy Sector Education and Training Authority (ESETA).

OR

2.4 A candidate must achieve a National Certificate in Electrical Engineering (NQF level 4) trade issued under ESETA jurisdiction

AND

2.4.1 Submit a documentary proof of successful completed unit standards of inspection, testing and certification of three-phase industrial installations (excluding hazardous installations) as lay down by Energy Sector Education and Training Authority (ESETA).

2.5RULES AND SAFETY STANDARDS:

All candidates mentioned above, must pass the subject Installation Rules, at any accredited Further Education Training (FET) institutions

"I used to have a lot of anger issues, now I just have a passion for justice"

Thanks
    Hi Dieter T

Thanks for the response. It is appreciated.

POE is Portfolio of Evidence for Certificate of Compliance. Just like you have explained in 2.3.5 it satisfy this requirement as you will do the inspection, testing of single phase and 3 phase installation for the COC then you have to do a COC with someone with wireman's licence.

One for single phase and one for 3 phase and the registered person(person with wireman licence) assisting you on the document will indicate that you are competent on those 14 tests for COC and have also done a proper visual inspection of the installation. This is how our tutor wants us to do it, some tutors might do it differently but what is important to satisfy the requirement set by ESETA on the unit standard. For example some to the Unit standard training in 3 days while we did it in 5 days including the practicals and test.

I have to do a COC with registered person but my challenge will be for 3 phase installation. If I do not get anyone, then I will be force to request help from someone on this forum.

With regard to theory requirement, I got Maths at Matric and N3, Industrial Electronics N3 and Electrical Trade Theory. Are you sure it is 2 subjects not 4?

It is clear from your explanation that you have to have trade test if you do not have a those diploma or degree in electrical field.

My point was if you have Installation Rules which is higher in merit than trade test then you should be exempted from trade test but unfortunately this is not the case and abide by the rules that is in place.

Thanks.

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Hi Linkenmk22

Aw the good old Unit Standards. Well if you struggle to do the 3phase CoC then give me a call. I might have a CoC that needs to be done and you can come with as for your requirements.
    In my opinion the more detailed you can do your unit standards the more it is going to help you with your future test & inspection and certification.

I did my unit standards at the AIA for Gauteng, at time driving all the way to Krugersdorp from Pretoria every Saturday for a month. I could have gone to someone offering it on other side of the mountain where I am staying in PTA, but just thought to myself I would rather have it done at the person that could prosecute me in court one day should I have done my work wrong. Unfortunately with all the EWSETA politics there are only a handful of people able to give unit standards and the rest lost their registrations including the AIA

With the Masters I am doing my unit standards soon, but also having difficulty finding someone who can properly asses the unit standards and who is properly registered....
    Ps : My 2 cents worth, when you are done with your wiremans. Immediate go and do specialized codes paper 1 and 2. It is easier than the installation codes paper 1 and 2 for wiremans and it offers a great deal of knowledge that will help you as wiremans in your future installations + should you come across a hazardous location you would be able to implement the correct installation procedures and equipment required for that zone. Most wiremans like myself tend to shy away from doing hazardous locations installations due to all the reg around it and also having to find a Master electrician to CoC. Even if you never want to become a Master electrician still you will have the knowledge that will help alot.

On the N3 requirements, yes that is correct 4 subjects that can be made up from N3 or Matric with compolsary of 2 subjects from the following list (Mathematics N3; Electrical Trade Theory or Electro-Technology N3 plus one of the following subjects: Electro-Mechanics N3; Industrial Electronics N3; Technical Drawing N3; Engineering Science N3; Logic Systems N3; Instrument Trade Theory N3; Power Station Theory or Science or Electricity N3.)

Yes unfortunately they are very strict on what the DoL requirements are for registration.
    Here is the latest Information brochure for application as registered person- Electrical Installation Regulation, August 2014

http://www.labour.gov.za/DOL/downloa...ionreg2014.pdf

The installation rules is different to the trade test. With the trade test there is allot of practical application involved. If done trough a apprenticeship even better since you are exposed to the theory and practical side and evaluated after each set of modules completed. The other option is if you have been working as an electrician for 5 years you can get a letter (affidavit) from your employer or the registered person you are working under that you have been working under supervision of a registered person and have had exposure to the different areas of electrical installation work. This then you can take and write the trade test at Olifantsfontein.
    The only difference between this and the apprenticeship is that you get a trade test with a different color seal (article something something) which no one cares about since this is not the old government and their where alot of politics around which one was the better one back in days before I was even an idea in my parents minds...

At the end of the day what is most important is to get your wiremans as a trade test qualification has no meaning anymore as you aren't able to do installation work without a wiremans.

Thanks
    DieterT

Its good that you are in Pretoria and you will be of assistance because I am also a Pretorian. Again thanks for the information. Send me test email to linkenmk@gmail.com and/or send me your contact details.
    I want to do Master after getting my wireman's licence and I agree with what you are saying because it does not help if you restrict yourself otherwise you will not grow.

When I am done with N4 exams and COC unit standard, I will focus on trade test. Still have to write Electrotechnics and Fault Finding.

Anyone will manual or study guide on trade test?

Thanks

Trade test

Hi all,
    Looking for some advise. I have a BTech degree electrical engineering, thinking of doing my wiremans licence or installation electrician licence and then looking to do master installation. I'm struggling to find information on it all. Which would be the best to start? What all do i need to do and where can i do it?

Regards
    Logan

Thanks
    Try PnT college in Gemiston

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk