Thread: Getting a handle!

Thanks

Getting a handle!

I'm embarrassed to ask, but I need advise. I've posted a couple of things about staff issues before.

We bought a running concern about five years ago. Problem is: Most of the staff we got with the company. None have actual contracts and even the newer ones don't, due to mainly operational negligence. I am starting to get that in order, but it's a process. There isn't even a disciplinary code I could find.

Things are completely out of control. Fitters are backchatting and arguing with my salespeople. The salespeople, because they are not aware of any disciplinary code, chirp right back. So I sit with full blown arguing right in front of my customers! Supervisor walks around mumbling about his work and our decisions...Where do I start? Organogram? Disciplinary code? Is there any training I can go on?

I've been a manager for 12 years, but basic disciplinary codes was set, accepted, known and established when I got to those companies....now in my own company, I can't get control!!!

Another question: And this was done at one of the companies I worked for. Cellphones was becoming a major interuption to the productivity of the office, so they started to collect all cellphones at the start of business in the mornings and hand them out in the evenings. Is this legal? I would think so, because this was a multibranched international company with a dedicated, centralised HR department.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    I did find a difference in the handling of employees when i worked for a company as compared to handling them when thereafter when i had my very own business. For some reason the latter was far more difficult.

I eventually got hold of a labour consultant to get going with contracts, disciplinary codes etc. It worked for me. I also got him to chair one or two hearings. Do get proper references on consultants if you consider this route
    Last edited by flaker; 11-Mar-15 at 11:06 AM.

Email problem
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannes Botha View Post
    Cellphones was becoming a major interuption to the productivity of the office, so they started to collect all cellphones at the start of business in the mornings and hand them out in the evenings.
    Legal or not, this is one way to cause more discord in the business. It appears this is an office, you employ adults, treat them like adults and (HOPEFULLY) they will behave like adults. Collecting cellphones will just cause more resentment and this will spread like wildfire. Even your good employees will start to resent you.

Call a meeting on a Friday afternoon or when its a quite period and bring up these issues you are encountering. Explain how, for example, arguing in front of customers is unprofessional and portrays the business and the employees in a poor light. Deal with the other issues as well. Explain this will now be strictly dealt with going forward. Explain this in a nice but firm manner.

If no improvement, start off with verbal warnings, then written warnings. Document them so if it goes to the dismissal stage you have everything in order.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    It is of extreme importance to keep records of all verbal warnings, and preferably with a witness to avoid I never was warned. Even written warnings requires a witness to prevent the same statement.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    You must have a meeting in which you state your grievances and the action that will be taken to remedy if they continue, and be prepared to listen to their grievances.
    Then after the meeting, you place all what was said on paper, as minutes and hand to the staff. Then keep records from that moment on.

I would suggest to get a labour consultant in to help you get started.

I am joining this organization, NEASA to help me with some of issues I may have. For R300 a month and the services they offer, far out weighs the cost.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannes Botha View Post
    Cellphones was becoming a major interuption
    I believe there is a cheap second hand cellphone jammer for sale in Capetown, just apply to the Parliament security services.
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Thanks
    Thank you. What I'll do is prepare an organogram, with a disciplinary code. Hold the meeting, have each sign receipt thereof, and talk openly with regards to what is bothering us, and ask what is bothering them...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wynn View Post
    I believe there is a cheap second hand cellphone jammer for sale in Capetown, just apply to the Parliament security services.
    Does it block whatsapp as well?

9. Thanks given for this post:

wynn (13-Mar-15)