Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to CoC a changeover switch??

Silver Member
    Thanks
    I installed an extra socket in a shop in East gate shopping center, could be a good 5 years work testing the rest of the mall now to confirm its reasonably safe.
    Seriously, i put in section 3 what i am taking responsibility for. When the client signs their part of the COC they accept that is the case. That's why it is important for the client to sign it. They accept the limitation of what you can reasonably do. What I do take responsibility for it is tested to the letter of the SANS book.
    We do a lot of shop rewires. Is a shopping centre going to let you switch of the whole mall so you can do a no load voltage test, er..no. If they won't let us switch it of at the source we put in the COC (usually on a separate attachment) that this was the case and it the responsibility of the shopping centre to ensure the suitability of the supply. They sign it, I keep a copy. They accept the limitation of what can be done, I feel you are covered.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Does the shop not have its own db?

3. Thanks given for this post:

DieterT (08-Apr-15)

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Okay so you issue a cod for the change over switch installed. But what if the existing circuit breakers are some of those old once with a 30A circuit breaker rating for a plug circuit which is found in some of the older homes? Surely you need to change the circuit breaker to 20A the plugs cannot handle 30A. You should surely notify the client that your section of the installation complies but that part which it’s connected to or feeding power to, does not comply with general safety?

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pieter00 View Post
    Okay so you issue a cod for the change over switch installed. But what if the existing circuit breakers are some of those old once with a 30A circuit breaker rating for a plug circuit which is found in some of the older homes? Surely you need to change the circuit breaker to 20A the plugs cannot handle 30A. You should surely notify the client that your section of the installation complies but that part which it’s connected to or feeding power to, does not comply with general safety?
    only if the installation has been modified or if what i see in most cases ...someone has added a plug and used 2.5 mm wire.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pieter00 View Post
    You are absolutely correct.

ELECTRICAL INSTALLATION REGULATIONS
    Section 8, part (2) No person shall connect or permit the connection of any completed or partially completed electrical installation to the electricity supply, unless it has been inspected and tested by a registered person and a certificate of compliance for that electrical installation has been issued.

In my conversations with the ECA I was told that there is only one way to ascertain whether or not an installation complies, and that is to do a full inspection regardless of previously issued certificates. The reason for this is that once you issue that additional certificate then you automatically take responsibility for the entire installation.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
    To make a mistake is human, to learn from that mistake is knowledge and knowledge is strength.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    16 amp plug tops are not rated for 20 amp circuit breakers.

A 30 amp breaker is for the wiring of the installation not the plug top or 0.5 - 1.5 mm cabtyre used in most cases for appliances.

There is no need to replace the 30 amp breakers if the integrity of the existing electrical installation has not been compromised... it is best to walk around and look for new socket outlets ...there is a good chance if there are then someone has used 2.5 mm to wire the new plug unaware of the old 30 amp breakers and i would bet all my old broken circuit breakers that there will not be a COC for the new socket outlet.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Leecatt View Post
    full inspection regardless of previously issued certificates. The reason for this is that once you issue that additional certificate then you automatically take responsibility for the entire installation.

What a load of crap...please ask the person from the ECA to put this statement in writing... i would like to send this statement to the AIA and see what their response would be...or even better ...the DOL ...would be a more interesting response ..if any.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    What a load of crap...please ask the person from the ECA to put this statement in writing... i would like to send this statement to the AIA and see what their response would be...or even better ...the DOL ...would be a more interesting response ..if any.
    So you are quite happy to issue an additional certificate without giving consideration to the legitimacy of the existing installation?

To make a mistake is human, to learn from that mistake is knowledge and knowledge is strength.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Also read section 9 part 2 (c)

9. (1) No person other than a registered person may issue a certificate of compliance
    (2) A registered person may issue a certificate of compliance accompanied by the required test report only after having satisfied himself or herself by means of an inspection and test that
    (a) a new electrical installation complies with the provisions of regulation 5(1) and was carried out under his or her general control; or
    (b) an electrical installation which existed prior to the publication of the current edition of the health and safety standard incorporated into these Regulations in terms of regulation 5(1), complies with the general safety principles of such standard; or
    (c) an electrical installation referred to in paragraph (b), to which extensions or alterations have been effected, that
    (i) the existing part of the electrical installation complies with the general safety principles of such standard and is reasonably safe

Is there another way, other than to inspect the existing installation, to satisfy (c) (I)?

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Leecatt View Post
    So you are quite happy to issue an additional certificate without giving consideration to the legitimacy of the existing installation?

That is not the point ...let gets this right... you are not responsible for the entire installation if you issue a supplementary COC to an existing COC... you are only responsible for the part which is covered by your COC...unless you offer to carry out a full inspection report and submit a new COC for the entire building

Just imagine if every time you did a little job you become liable for the entire installation... not gona happen... some of the installations i work on have 3-4 different contractors doing installation work and they have their own maintenance teams.

I believe this statement is incorrect..please feel free to correct me if you can prove otherwise.

"The reason for this is that once you issue that additional certificate then you automatically take responsibility for the entire installation."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast