Thread: Unemployed encouraged to blow up ATMs

Thanks

Unemployed encouraged to blow up ATMs

To me, this is fascinating,

An unemployment lobby group on Wednesday said it is not involved in blowing up automated teller machines (ATMs), but only encourages those without jobs to do so.

"It is ordinary members of the unemployed who are encouraged by Icemusa to continue with the blastings, not only of ATMs, but of all other business and government establishments such as power stations," said Plaatjie Mashego, leader of the International Campaign for the Establishment of a Ministry for the Unemployed in South Africa (Icemusa).

He was responding to an article in Monday's Sowetan newspaper, in which it was reported that "his organisation was responsible for the ATM blasts that have rocked the country in recent months".

Read the full article on M&G Online
    Sure, it is quite disturbing that these guys don't seem to mind the idea of blowing stuff up, but what I find really interesting is that there is a group of people who feel like they have no other options. Yes, it's extreme, and no I don't think it helps them achieve their objective (how does disrupting business help unemployed people?!?).

But, here is a group of people who need some leaders to give them options, to give unemployed people hope. Clearly the government is failing them.
    [SIGPIC]Engineer Simplicity[/SIGPIC]
    Turn ideas into products | The Art of Engineering blog

Thanks
    Very valid points Duncan.

IMO there is another problem that is surfacing here. I do not know exactly how to word it so that it sounds like I am unbiased but I certainly am not. I am discussing the Psychology rather than judging the people... It seems like allot of people in South Africa are under the impression that the rest of the world owes them something. The fact that they are unemployed and poor is not their fault. It is the fault of the previous government or the rich or anybody else but themselves.

This same denial attitude is not only part of the poor or unemployed but seems to becoming part of our culture. Our government leaders seem to advocate the same mentality as they constantly blame their mistakes and poor leadership on others or apartheid.

Pre 94 most people were promised free houses and basic services, they started to expect this and much, much more to come their way, without really going out and looking for it. After 13 years nothing has changed much. Promises are still being made and denial is now culture in our society. If something is questioned, it is simply denied or simply blamed on someone else. South Africa is in a huge cultural crisis of lack of responsibility! But because of this those that do take responsibility for their future and do say, "I am accountable" will be the ones filling up the ATM's and not blowing themselves and the ATM's to smithereeeeeeeens.
    Roelof Vermeulen (Entrepreneurship in large organizations)
    Roelof Vermeulen| Rock flaps south africa

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatmaster View Post
    South Africa is in a huge cultural crisis of lack of responsibility!
    I wonder if this is a South African problem, or one that occurs all over the world?
    [SIGPIC]Engineer Simplicity[/SIGPIC]
    Turn ideas into products | The Art of Engineering blog

Thanks
    I totally agree with Chatmaster. Sure, mistakes were made in the past, but I mean: those shouting "viva" at this stage never even formed part of the "struggle" in the past.

On a lighter note (and maybe a little offensive) I heard a quote from a collegue that in order to solve South Africa's problems, "we should feed the homeless to the hungry"...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dsd View Post
    Sure, it is quite disturbing that these guys don't seem to mind the idea of blowing stuff up,
    This is more than disturbing - it is crass stupidity. They are actually acting against their own interests. It is like burning down schools to get better education. Every cent spent on replacing destroyed infrastructure is consuming money that could have been invested on new infrastructure (or opportunities, or employment generating expansion).
    Quote Originally Posted by dsd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatmaster View Post
    South Africa is in a huge cultural crisis of lack of responsibility!
    I wonder if this is a South African problem, or one that occurs all over the world?
    Not all parts of the world, but it certainly seems to be a recurring theme in Africa. I've at times pondered how the wealthiest continent in the world in terms of raw assets has never managed to get its act together. And perhaps, once you dig down to the root through all the complexity, this is the core of the problem.

Thanks

“Never managed to get its act together”

I have waited for a long time for someone else to articulate this concept. So I find its not just me.

It seems to be common cause that Africa is the cradle of mankind - and that over countless thousands of years people in Africa have left, or have been driven out, to migrate to other parts of the globe and establish civilisations elsewhere, leaving behind the dull and all their brutish, senseless violence.

It continues still.