Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Saturday at home, installing an inverter

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by blackknight72 View Post
    In your post you mentioned that a system like your's will cost more or less in the same price range. I received a quote for Axpert 3KVA unit with 4 trojan batteries including installation for R50000. The Axpert unit was quoted R17000 and the batteries (Trojan deep cycle cells) R20000 (R5000x4). This is beyond my budget at the moment.
    The prices are very high, I can only suggest you get some more quotes. There was a brand new Axpert 3KW inverter being sold here which is sold now but it should give you an indication of the ballpark price you should be looking at. I charge customers around R2200.00 each for the Trojan 6v deep cycle batteries I'm not sure why you're getting quoted R5K each unless they're a much higher specification battery.

Are you able to suggest any reliable units as well as batteries that can bring down the costs involved. I came across Maximus batteries which were quoted R1500 but I am not sure how reliable they are or the life expectancy for the same.
    I'm not familiar with the Maximus batteres but I think your original spec with the Axpert inverter and Trojan batteries was probably spot on, like I say I'd do some more investigating for better prices if I were you.

I am currently faced an occasional 1 or 2 hour long power cut. Hence after going through another post from you I was also considering voltronic unit 2kva to start off with and add another one as time goes by depending on my requirement. however I am unable to get any information on the particular unit or its price. I am also wondering if it would be a very expensive exercise to add more units.
    Voltronic are the Taiwanese company that produce the Axpert range of inverters mentioned above. I'm not really understanding your question here. Some of the Axpert inverters are scaleable whereby you can connect two of them together and they produce a single output that's double the power of a single inverter. Not all are capable of this so you need to read the specs of the different models.

Thanks
    Thank you very much for your prompt response.

I shall certainly investigate around the prices. I was under the impression that Voltronic was a different brand which is more expensive than Axpert. Do you by any chance happen to sell any of these inverters?

I am just wondering if it would be possible for me to buy the batteries from you. I am not certain how much it will cost to courier them to East London.

Email problem
    Thanks
    those prices are very expensive . i sell the 5kva axpert for cheaper than the 3kva you have being quoted on. i install as well. i use the bosch 105AH 12 volt batteries. 4 in series.
    the 5kva model can be paralleled up to 6 inverters and has a built in powerful mppt solar charger.
    i am however looking for enclosed battery cases for 4 batteries. i have been making my own.

Thank you very much for your prompt response.

I shall certainly investigate around the prices. I was under the impression that Voltronic was a different brand which is more expensive than Axpert. Do you by any chance happen to sell any of these inverters?

I am just wondering if it would be possible for me to buy the batteries from you. I am not certain how much it will cost to courier them to East London.

4. Thanks given for this post:

blackknight72 (04-May-15)

Thanks
    I was under the impression that Voltronic was a different brand which is more expensive than Axpert.
    I'm wondering if you're getting confused with 'Victronic' who are better known nowadays as 'Victron'.

Victron are a superior product in my humble opinion, if you look at the multiplus range and compare the raw specifications with other makes of inverter you'll see what I mean. Unfortunately they're considerably more expensive which often makes them a hard sell in the domestic and small business market even though you do get what you pay for.

The Voltronic website is here http://www.voltronicpower.com/ . If you look under the 'Inverter & AVR' menu you'll see the Axpert ranges.

Do you by any chance happen to sell any of these inverters?
    We're primarily designing and installing complete systems but if you send me a PM with your requirements including model number I'll happily give you a quote for supply only. If you're unsure which model suits your requirements I'll try to help you find the best option.

Again I'll happily give you a quote if you give me the specifics of your preferred batteries ie voltage, cycle rating and capacity in Ah etc. If you have your own courier I'll liase with them otherwise I'll investigate transport options from my side and you'd just pay whatever costs are incurred.

6. Thanks given for this post:

blackknight72 (04-May-15)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    I'm wondering if you're getting confused with 'Victronic' who are better known nowadays as 'Victron'.

Victron are a superior product in my humble opinion, if you look at the multiplus range and compare the raw specifications with other makes of inverter you'll see what I mean. Unfortunately they're considerably more expensive which often makes them a hard sell in the domestic and small business market even though you do get what you pay for.

The Voltronic website is here http://www.voltronicpower.com/ . If you look under the 'Inverter & AVR' menu you'll see the Axpert ranges.

We're primarily designing and installing complete systems but if you send me a PM with your requirements including model number I'll happily give you a quote for supply only. If you're unsure which model suits your requirements I'll try to help you find the best option.

Again I'll happily give you a quote if you give me the specifics of your preferred batteries ie voltage, cycle rating and capacity in Ah etc. If you have your own courier I'll liase with them otherwise I'll investigate transport options from my side and you'd just pay whatever costs are incurred.
    Thank you Andy! I will check the facts once again with the installer and see if he willing to provide another quote. If he sticks to the same quote I shall get the units and batteries from you. I will have to find someone who is willing to do the installation for me in that case.

Indeed I was confused between the brands victron and voltronic. I was referring to Victron.

I would like your opinion on my judgment regarding a 3KW inverter based on my needs.

My requirements are the following

Led down lights ( all dimmable 5w) 20 units
    TV+ dstv
    Inkjet printer
    refrigerator 300W
    Motor for garage door
    CFL 6x10W

Do you think 3KW would be an overkill in this scenario?

Thank you!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bergie View Post
    those prices are very expensive . i sell the 5kva axpert for cheaper than the 3kva you have being quoted on. i install as well. i use the bosch 105AH 12 volt batteries. 4 in series.
    the 5kva model can be paralleled up to 6 inverters and has a built in powerful mppt solar charger.
    i am however looking for enclosed battery cases for 4 batteries. i have been making my own.
    Thank you bergie,please see my response below.

Thanks
    Thank you bergie,please see my response below.
    Thank you for your feedback. I received another quote today from yet another installer, R34000 for installing a 1KW system ( includes 4 trojan 240Ah batteries and 1KW inverter)This simply highlights the value of forums like this and inputs given by people like yourself when it comes to taking an informed decision. Certainly inverter installation in this part of the country is a lucrative business.

Thanks
    Indeed I was confused between the brands victron and voltronic. I was referring to Victron.
    Lol, I had a sneaky feeling you were. I've installed Victron units as far back as 6 or 7 years ago in the marine sector and we've never had a failure to date. I rate them very highly but alas they're often outside of the budget.

I would like your opinion on my judgment regarding a 3KW inverter based on my needs.

My requirements are the following

Led down lights ( all dimmable 5w) 20 units
    TV+ dstv
    Inkjet printer
    refrigerator 300W
    Motor for garage door
    CFL 6x10W

Do you think 3KW would be an overkill in this scenario?
    When establishing your load requirements there's no substitute for using an RMS clamp meter to actually test the current draw of each appliance whilst it's running. It also helps if the clamp meter has a maximum hold facility which retains the maximum current draw over a period of time. We always check the real-life power requirements before specifying an inverter, the difference between the current stated on the appliance and the actual current draw as measured in real life can be as much as 50%. Make yourself up a test lead as shown below and use it to supply each appliance in turn whilst you perform load current tests. If you don't have a clamp meter it's well worth begging, borrowing, stealing or buying one.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Load Test Lead.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	5568

You may also be able to apply some sensible 'diversity', for example it's highly unlikely you'd be opening the garage door at the precise time you're printing a document. On the other side of things it's possible that your fridge which is a motor load could have a momentary start current of maybe 1.5KW just for a fraction of a second when the compressor starts running.
    Last edited by AndyD; 04-May-15 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Fixed stubborn bb-code

Email problem
    Thanks
    a calculated guess. at least a 2 kw . 3kw if you can afford it . i wouldnt recommend a 1kw at all. if you run these inverters full load all the time it wont last long.
    i will be getting a shipment of 5 kva 22 amp axpert inverters in a few weeks. it will be very reasonably priced.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I have just the instrument to measure power with the necessary plug and socket

I also have a plug attachment to connect a bayonet socket and a E28 socket, so that you can show the consumption of a incandescent lamp against a LED lamp.

My dealer price is R1,650.00 excluding VAT from my office.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast