Hi all, a lot of valuable knowledge on this site.

I placed this under this topic as I consider branding and marketing to go hand in hand...

I am going to make this a little sketchy as to not infringe on forum rules:

45 years ago my uncle started a tyre business (Let's call it Kruger & Sons) in a small suburb in Capetown, bordering on the Winelands, Industrial areas as well as residential (Let's call it Bordertown). The business changed hands in about 2001 and in 2010 My dad, my brother and I bought it back. It has changed from one franchise to another over the years (before we owned it) and we are currently with one of the top rated franchises (Let's call it Vital tyres) in the industry. We have always been trading under the name my uncle started the business with using the franchise name in conjunction, for example: "Vital tyres, Kruger & sons" This drew in some nostalgia from our older and more loyal customers"

Lately we have been receiving pressure from our franchisor to trade under the name "Vital tyres, Bordertown" Our argument has been that "Kruger & sons" has been around long before "Vital tyres"....but lately I have given it some thought.

Keeping in mind that we are not on the main road...Where branding is concerned (vehicles, bumper stickers, lightboxes etc) if we brand our vehicle as "Vital tyres, Kruger & sons" nobody will know we are in "Bordertown" Alternatively, if we trade under the name "Vital tyres, Bordertown" people who see it will hopefully remember there is a "Vital tyres" in "Bordertown" next time the need tyres.

What is your thinking on this Gents?