Hi guys.

I have a certain bad apple and need some advice.

As per usualwe have a few guys that come late, either 2 minutes late twice a week, or 19 minutes once a month due to public transport. We tolerate this because 1) These guys are very hard workers and never shy away from overtime when needed and 2) We feel that this is circumstances beyond their control. These guys alway clock in, report to apologise (clocking machine is in my office) and go to work.

During this week another guy (also periodically late by couple of minutes) walks in two hours late, clock in and go to work without saying a word. Our business is very hands-on and customer intensive so I did'n't give it further attention untill the next day. When I asked him why he was late he said that he overslept. As the discussion escalated he said that I cannot single him out as he is not the only one that is late, and was generally disrespectfull. When I told him that I am talking to him about his behaviour and I will handle each to his own merits, he got even more arrogant.

So I put up a memo that all needs to report on time or face the consequences. Now, mister dependant is on his 2nd written warning and mr sleeping beauty is making sure he is on time.

Am I to sacrifice a good worker at the altar of being consequent?

I have a general bad attitude which sometimes make me feel like giving this up. Don't know how to handle it. I have 12 years management experience but can't get a grip here.

I also have a supervisor who (after mr. sleeping beauty came 2 hours late) I heard complaining to a sales lady that if he comes late, he will get a warning but mr sleeping beauty gets away with it. After me and mr sleeping beauty's tussle the same supervisor commented to mr sleeping beauty: They cannot discipline you if they don't discipline the other etc.

We are in the automotive trade and one morning we had to push some cars out the shop. I am pushing myself and some of my staff are standing playing on their phones!

What's the worst that can happen if I take a pick axe handle to them? Things are running rampant! It's out of control!

Seriously, any advise to get this under control? Any books on labour law for business owners?