Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 12V Downlighters

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Ps : on a ES brass holder, where do you connect neutral and live and why?
    Something probably not even half the electricians know out there, but such a simple mistake people make which also can easily take someone's life... that is why there are rules and regulations.

"I used to have a lot of anger issues, now I just have a passion for justice"

Thanks
    Even minimal logic would suggest the correct way is with the live on the center terminal.

Thanks
    Hi all. I see a lot of people have actually gone off topic here, so I'll do the same. A friend of mine wants to connect an inverter to his home for when Eksdom decides to cut the power again. Here's the setup and I'd appreciate your input:
    It is a 12V 700W device. To charge the 12V battery, he will be using a plug in 220V:12V charger. From the inverter, he wants to feed a seperate db which will feed a few lights and a tv (these also seperate from the main wiring of the house)... All through an earth leakage. My question is... Will he need to get a CoC for the system now being fed from the inverter?

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gobbleteller View Post
    Hi all. I see a lot of people have actually gone off topic here, so I'll do the same. A friend of mine wants to connect anpinverter to his home for when Eksdom decides to cut the power again. Here's the setup and I'd appreciate your input:
    It is a 12V 700W device. To charge the 12V battery, he will be using a plug in 220V:12V charger. From the inverter, he wants to feed a seperate db which will feed a few lights and a tv (these also seperate from the main wiring of the house)... All through an earth leakage. My question is... Will he need to get a CoC for the system now being fed from the inverter?
    The short answer is yes.
    It's a permanent installation.
    Read the definition of Electrical Installation in the EIR.
    People make the mistake of believing that if its plugged in its no longer part of the electrical installation, this is not always true.
    Last edited by Leecatt; 10-Feb-15 at 04:36 AM. Reason: Additional information

5. Thanks given for this post:

gobbleteller (10-Feb-15)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Leecatt View Post
    People make the mistake of believing that if its plugged in its no longer part of the electrical installation, this is not always true.
    Spot on, most people make that mistake. The regs say an isolator or socket outlet may be used to isolate an appliance. If a geyser is plugged in it is by no means exempt from the regulations applicable to it.

7. Thanks given for this post:

gobbleteller (10-Feb-15)

Thanks
    Thanks Leecatt and Sparks. Our untrustworthy electrical supply and the whole "going green" is bring a new dimension to the electrical industry. Generators, inverters, solar panels, downlights, etc etc etc and new headaches creep into the lives of the electrician. People will be making changes to their electrical systems, some that are illegal (possibly unknowingly)... placing their families in danger. Users will have to be made aware that their way of counteracting the rolling blackouts could potentially harm them if not done correctly and according to legislation.

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    geyser is NEVER part of a coc

OR plugged in stuff
    Last edited by ACEsterhuizen; 11-Feb-15 at 08:06 AM. Reason: unclear statement: mistake

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Please clarify the statement above "NEVER not part of any Coc". Meaning, always part of a Coc?
    To make a mistake is human, to learn from that mistake is knowledge and knowledge is strength.

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    See SANS 10142 & the OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH AND SAFETY ACT, 1993 ELECTRICAL INSTALLATION REGULATIONS of 6 March 2009:

If an appliance is on a plug (or not) it is excluded from the definition (and such regulations of SANS 10142) of an installation.

On the "TEST REPORT": Point 3: "This report covers the circuits for fixed appliances, but does not cover the actual appliances, for example stoves, geysers, air conditioning and refrigeration plant and lights.

The "geyser" / "waterheater" is ALWAYS excluded from the current SANS 10142 re the CoC:

6.16 Fixed appliances

6.16.1 General

NOTE The general requirements in 6.16.1.1 to 6.16.1.13 apply, except where
    otherwise required for specific cases. Amdt 4

6.16.1.1 Fixed appliances do not form part of the electrical installation
    other than their positioning in relation to the supply and the wiring carried
    out between different parts of the appliances

6.16.2 Water heaters

NOTE Water heaters include geysers, instantaneous water heaters including units
    for boiling water, and the like
    (see also 6.16.1). Amdt 4

6.16.2.1 All water heaters shall be bonded in accordance with 6.13. (read 6.13 .... nothing to do with the geyser itself, the water systems hot and cold must be bonded - no geyser appliance related issues)

6.16.2.2 Dedicated circuits shall be provided for water heaters and there
    may be more than one water heater on each circuit. (dedicated circuits to water heaters, no other circuits to be on that circuit...other plugs, lights, jacuzzis, pools, cold rooms etc)

NOTE If a water heater is installed in a bathroom, see table 7.1 regarding earth
    leakage protection. (Supply to geyser issues)

"electrical installation" means any machinery, in or on any premises, used for the transmission of electricity from a point of control to a point of consumption anywhere on the premises, including any article forming part of such an electrical installation irrespective of whether or not it is part of the electrical circuit, but excluding
    (a) any machinery of the supplier related to the supply of electricity on the premises;
    (b) any machinery which transmits electrical energy in communication, control circuits, television or radio circuits;
    (e) an electrical installation on a vehicle, vessel, train or aircraft; and
    (d) control circuits of 50 V or less between different parts of machinery or system components, forming a unit, that are separately installed and derived from an independent source or an isolating transformer;

"point of consumption" means any point of outlet or the supply terminals of machinery which is not connected to a point of outlet and which converts electrical energy to another form of energy: Provided that in the case of machinery which has been installed for any specific purpose as a complete unit, the point of consumption shall be the supply terminals which have been provided on the unit of machinery for that purpose

"point of outlet" means any termination of an electrical installation which has been provided for connecting any electrical machinery without the use of tools;

(The "electrical installation" ends at the point of outlet (plug) or if not plugged in at the supply terminals of the machinery)
    Last edited by ACEsterhuizen; 11-Feb-15 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Spelling

12. Thanks given for this post:

Justloadit (11-Feb-15)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    My understanding has always been that any circuit under 50V does not require a COC and is excluded from the regulations.
    Home alarms, intercoms and Solar systems and battery systems fall under this category. However I would assume that if there is an inverter involved, which generates 220V, may ...........................
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast