Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Medical Aid. Do they really care??

Silver Member
    Thanks

And although great you plan on kicking the habit - there is a 12 month exclusion period for obvious reasons. If there wasn't, I could join, get my R250,000 rand back op and leave a couple of months later - say 4 months @R3000 p/m - so cost me R12,000. And you think that is not only fair but this would be a viable business?

Email problem
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HR Solutions View Post
    If u paid for your addiction why can't you pay for your rehabilitation ?

You asked the question ..... Seems like u don't like the answers ....
    You really should learn to think before you talk/type. It just puts your ignorance out there for everybody to see!

Email problem
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pap_sak View Post

And although great you plan on kicking the habit - there is a 12 month exclusion period for obvious reasons. If there wasn't, I could join, get my R250,000 rand back op and leave a couple of months later - say 4 months @R3000 p/m - so cost me R12,000. And you think that is not only fair but this would be a viable business?
    If you have ever read the terms and conditions of a medical aid, all benefits are prorata. If you leave a month or two after your operation and only joined shortly before you are liable to pay the money back to the medical aid!

Email problem
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    Lets look at it from a totally different perspective. You spent a hell of a lot of money on your addiction....why should they foot the bill for you to kick your addiction? I can't think of any insurance on medical aid that will pay for self-inflicted harm, they have the right not to insure you against your own stupidity.

I also don't see how going to rehab could be considered to be medical treatment, should the medical aid pay for people who are addicted to gambling?
    They will foot the bill but only in October this year so your whole argument is invalid. And yes, people with a gambling addiction can also go to rehab and the medical aid will pay for it. Please we need some intelligent debate here!

Email problem
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Houses4Rent View Post
    Good for you to make that decision for starters. I know of someone who was an alcoholic, but never admitted it. Loads of people tried to help him including me even offering to pay for rehab, but he was in denial and a master of disguising it. One day suddenly we got a call that he passed away and nobody ever found out why. My feeling is that it was a bad mixture of medication and alcohol maybe. He was a very nice person looking after others more than himself and died far too young. So, I sincerely congratulate toy to your decision.

However I think its just rules anyway and its a business after all. Pre-existing conditions are often ruled out or at least have substantial waiting periods. And yes, I also think this kind of rule is there to protect long standing members.

The healthy living encouragement is not really because they care about their members, but because they care about their own viability and competitiveness. It has been proven that people who look more after them cause far lesser cost to the medical insurance.

Bottomline is rules are rules.

I am with Discovery Health since many years and am on top level of their Vitality Scheme. Once one understands how it works (takes some effort) one can greatly benefit of it especially when linked with their other products like Credit Card Life, Invest etc. I certainly get far more benefit that what Vitality costs me. So loads of members who do not use it properly pay for me. In other words, go out there, understand the systems and make them work for you.
    Thank you! At least one person who is talking a bit of sense. I agree with you that you can get a lot more out of your medical aid in terms of extra benefits, which is what I am doing with the going to gym discounts on certain products etc. It just frustrates me that they can take such a blatant none caring position when somebody (in this case me) clearly needs and asked for their help. I suppose that’s what my partner means when he says I am too soft for running a business because I would have helped.

Suspended
    Thanks
    Cowls .... Wow ..with 7 posts under your belt and arrogant comments like that ! Good luck dude with trying to get any help from anyone with that attitude. What was it you said you are hooked on .....

Ps and oh yes ..... Talking about "ignorance" ........... Let's not forget who got addicted to drugs here ......

7. Thanks given for this post:

adrianh (25-Jan-15)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I guess the "tough love" role is taken care of here

What does a crystal meth addiction cost to feed each month?

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coells View Post
    They will foot the bill but only in October this year so your whole argument is invalid. And yes, people with a gambling addiction can also go to rehab and the medical aid will pay for it. Please we need some intelligent debate here!
    hmmm...you're a fine one to talk about intelligence....

I want to know what the rehab will do for you that you can't do yourself. What exactly do they do that is worth R25K and makes you believe that it will cure a 15 year addiction?

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coells View Post
    You really should learn to think before you talk/type. It just puts your ignorance out there for everybody to see!
    Clearly you have all the answers.... I take it you joined this forum to enlighten us all with your wisdom...

11. Thanks given for this post:

HR Solutions (26-Jan-15)

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HR Solutions View Post
    If u paid for your addiction why can't you pay for your rehabilitation ?

You asked the question ..... Seems like u don't like the answers ....
    Why does this statememt annoy you so much? It is perfectly true!

13. Thanks given for this post:

HR Solutions (26-Jan-15)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast