I am getting lots of generator inquiries again, people are getting nervous and want to prepare themselves for what they think is going to happen.

I have a simple solution and would like to hear your thoughts.

For my own house i am using a 2.2 kva generator.

I have a changeover switch mounted directly above my meter box, fed from the 60 amp circuit breaker using a 16 mm wire into one side of the changeover switch.

I have a 16 amp plug top with a 2.5 mm x 3 core feed from the generator to the other side of the changeover switch ( the generator has built in overload protection)

from the other side of the changeover switch i have run a 16 mm wire which is connected to wire feeding the house in the meter box using a ferrule and heat shrink.

For my application as an electrician i know what to switch on and off as i have a current clamp and have replaced my element in my geyser for example to a 1kw element.

I would recommend a 5.5 kva generator or bigger to customers, but with this comes a few challenges.

My question to you all fellas...

1/ Would you recommend this setup to your customers, considering they dont have a current clamp?

2/ How do you overcome the problem of supplying 20- 25 amps (5.5 kva generator) via a 16 amp sockets outlet?

3/ Would you use a circuit breaker next to the generator to protect the cable or rely on the generator overload protection?