Thread: COC for a gas stove

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Diamond Member
    Thanks

COC for a gas stove

If there is a gas pipe installation with a COC issued for the piping and valves installed, do you have to issue a COC to connect a new gas stove to the existing system?

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I didnt think so. Yet my insurance company has just informed me that they require a COC for the gas stove connection to my 9 kg bottle otherwise it is not covered and any damages resulting from a claim related to the gas stove will not be covered . If people want to make f &*^% rules at least make sure that everyone understands them.

I am told my warranty falls away. The customer protection act apparently doesnt cover me, when i told the company which sold me the stove to come and take the piece of crap which is faulty away. They are not prepared to fix the stove either. All because i dont have a COC for connecting 1m piece of hose directly to a 9 kg bottle.

Thanks
    Maybe the shop changes its mind when you voice your disgust that they hide behind nonsense and that you intend to make it public if they do not give you common sense (reasonably expectable) service. And ask them to proof to you how they communicated these conditions BEFORE or WHEN you bought the stove. No good to tell you later.
    Houses4Rent
    "We treat your investment as we treat our own"
    marc@houses4rent.co.za www.houses4rent.co.za
    083-3115551
    Global Residential Property Investor / Specialized Letting Agent & Property Manager

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    When you purchase the stove it comes with documentation which clearly states in bold writing that the stove must be connected by a certified gas installer, it doesnt say you have to get a COC for it, but everyone just seems to be climbing on the band wagon with this COC issuing story.

As with an electrical stove it clearly indicates that the connection must be done by a certified electrician, no mention about a COC.

This would be an interesting court case.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Comparing the gas COC vs the electrical COC does give some food for thought.

For example, the gas Certificate of Conformity includes the gas appliance, whereas the electrical Certificate of Compliance excludes fixed appliances (except to the extent that connected fixed appliances are "reasonably safe").

In particular, the pressure test not only tests the integrity of the gas supply piping, but the control valves of the gas appliance.

One aspect that has me pretty bemused is this:
    We have found in many instances where electric stoves have been replaced with gas stoves, the electric stove circuit has been converted to a 16A socket outlet by the gas installation technician. Typically this conversion has been done illegally on a number of fronts:
    • The work has not been done under the general control of a wireman as required by legislation,
    • The conversion is not compliant with SANS 10124-1 as required by legislation, and
    • No electrical COC has been issued for the change as is required by legislation.

I asked my gas guy why the gas installation techs were doing things this way, rather than cutting off the plug top of the gas stove and wiring the stove into the isolator already there. The answer:
    Cutting off the plug top might invalidate the gas appliance manufacturer's warranty

Says volumes about the order of priorities floating out there when it comes to statutory compliance vs manufacturer's warranty,

6. Thanks given for this post:

DieterT (08-Apr-15)

Thanks
    Lol, he's kind right though, if he cuts off the plug and he's not a qualitied sparky it could possibly void warranties and I wouldn't be surprised if there's a much higher chance of warranties being contested than ever being pulled up for statutory non-compliance .