Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LED lights flicker when off

Thanks
    Which means you have created another pathway for the electricity to flow. Without capacitance, where is the electricity coming from which keeps the lights on? if you were to disconnect the live supply, would the lights still be on?

Thanks
    It would be brilliant if the lights stayed on if you disconnected the supply.
    No, seriously though, there has to also be some sort of capacitance in some of the LED brands.
    Some brands there are no issues, and others there are.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,677 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ELECT 1 View Post
    there has to also be some sort of capacitance in some of the LED brands.
    As a result of power factor correction?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    More for EMI reduction
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Email problem
    Thanks
    Hi,
    I am not an electrician, and did not understand most of what was said in the responses. All I can say is:
    Mine did the same.
    I had Ellies LEDs in, it flickered when it was off.
    I replaced it with another set of LEDs (not even sure of the brand, I bought it from someone who sells LEDs), and voila! no flickering.
    I installed those LEDs for all my downlights - no problems. The Ellies ones are lying somewhere in my garage - no idea why they did not work.
    Maybe try a different brand?

Thanks
    Trailing edge shuttle type dimmers, i had some issues which i had overcome. I would like to share.
    On one room we had 5x 5.5w LED Osram 220v lamps and one Trailing edge shuttle dimmer. The dimmer had to be pressed numerous times to get the lights on, They did dim, but also when put off, the lights would go off, then come on again by themselves.
    So it became a bit embarrassing, we dont design the stuff, we just accept that the ones sold at reputable wholesalers were of the top quality.
    So i went into the store and explained my situation. A huge smile on the staff members dial and he said "didnt you know" i said what,
    "If this happens with a shuttle dimmer, you get it to the off position, then pres 11 times. This is like the factory reset."
    Ok i went and did it, and Viola !!!! it worked......i dont know if this was just bullsh1t but all seems fine at the moment anyway

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ELECT 1 View Post
    A huge smile on the staff members dial and he said "didnt you know" i said what,
    "If this happens with a shuttle dimmer, you get it to the off position, then pres 11 times. This is like the factory reset."
    This is one of the issues I find with either manufacturers or suppliers, where there is no user manual with the product, either left out by the manufacturer or removed by the supplier.
    Any electronic equipment should have a user manual, which states operating procedures, wiring and specifications. The fact that they manufacture thousands, does not relieve them of the duty of having the user manual. There are always new customers who must learn the product, and with out the user manual makes life uncomfortable.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Thanks

LED not working

Hi

I wonder if someone can assist me recently I bought Veti switches, the LED does not come on, switch is working properly accept for the LED, what could be causing this

Silver Member
    Thanks
    1. Led downlights, so they require a trailing edge dimmer or heading edge?
    2. I replaced one led downlight (of 4) with a different make. Now when the dimmer (leading edge) is off, the new light is still on, albeit very dim.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk
    To make a mistake is human, to learn from that mistake is knowledge and knowledge is strength.

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Trailing edge dimmers are now the more popular of the two types. They have several advantages over leading edge dimmers including smoother control, soft start and silent running when in operation.

Both types of dimmer can work with dimmable LEDs however due to its advantages, trailing edge is the preferred and as such LED manufacturers have designed their retrofit lamps to work best with this type.

11. Thanks given for this post:

Leecatt (28-May-22)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast