Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Electronics advances.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I had an interesting issue the other day. I've gotten very heavily in DCC model railway electronics. I can across a very nice open design using a ATMEL ATTINY2313. I got in contact with the developer and got the Eagle files and source. I made the board, got a decent AVR programmer, downloaded the latest version of AVR studio and compiled the code. No matter what I did I couldn't get the code to fit in the AVR. The compiler kept saying that the code uses 110% of available micro space. I spoke to the developer and he told me to download AVR Studio 4.9.X dated 2007 odd and try that. The old compiler used about 90% of the micro's space. I think that it is better to create various micro compilers than try to shove every single option into one compiler. The AVRs and PICs have so many variants with so many options that they are bound to overload functions and stuff lots of options into them bloating the code. For example, the fact that one processor can run in 5 oscillator configurations doesn't mean that all the code needs to be pulled in because the particular processor has 2 options.

I think that development environments like Arduino, though they are nice, quick and like Lego, give people a false sense of achievement. It allows people to fool themselves into the belief that they can develop mission critical systems by merely slapping a "shield" onto a dev-board.

Thanks

Circuit design.

Quote Originally Posted by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circuit_design
    The process of circuit design can cover systems ranging from complex electronic systems all the way down to the individual transistors within an integrated circuit. For simple circuits the design process can often be done by one person without needing a planned or structured design process, but for more complex designs, teams of designers following a systematic approach with intelligently guided computer simulation are becoming increasingly common.

In integrated circuit design automation, the term "circuit design" often refers to the step of the design cycle which outputs the schematics of the integrated circuit. Typically this is the step between logic design and physical design.[1]

Formal circuit design usually involves the following stages:

sometimes, writing the requirement specification after liaising with the customer
    writing a technical proposal to meet the requirements of the customer specification
    synthesising on paper a schematic circuit diagram, an abstract electrical or electronic circuit that will meet the specifications
    calculating the component values to meet the operating specifications under specified conditions
    performing simulations to verify the correctness of the design
    building a breadboard or other prototype version of the design and testing against specification
    making any alterations to the circuit to achieve compliance
    choosing a method of construction as well as all the parts and materials to be used
    presenting component and layout information to draughtspersons, and layout and mechanical engineers, for prototype production
    testing or type-testing a number of prototypes to ensure compliance with customer requirements
    signing and approving the final manufacturing drawings
    post-design services (obsolescence of components etc.)
    This is the basics of circuit design, but, for now let us concentrate on the design of the circuit specifically;

Quote Originally Posted by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circuit_design
    The design process involves moving from the specification at the start, to a plan that contains all the information needed to be physically constructed at the end, this normally happens by passing through a number of stages, although in very simple circuit it may be done in a single step. [2] The process normally begins with the conversion of the specification into a block diagram of the various functions that the circuit must perform, at this stage the contents of each block are not considered, only what each block must do, this is sometimes referred to as a "black box" design. This approach allows the possibly very complicated task to be broken into smaller tasks which may either by tackled in sequence or divided amongst members of a design team.

Each block is then considered in more detail, still at an abstract stage, but with a lot more focus on the details of the electrical functions to be provided. At this or later stages it is common to require a large amount of research or mathematical modeling into what is and is not feasible to achieve.[3] The results of this research may be fed back into earlier stages of the design process, for example if it turns out one of the blocks cannot be designed within the parameters set for it, it may be necessary to alter other blocks instead. At this point it is also common to start considering both how to demonstrate that the design does meet the specifications, and how it is to be tested ( which can include self diagnostic tools ).[4]

Finally the individual circuit components are chosen to carry out each function in the overall design, at this stage the physical layout and electrical connections of each component are also decided, this layout commonly taking the form of artwork for the production of a printed circuit board or Integrated circuit. This stage is typically extremely time consuming because of the vast array of choices available. A practical constraint on the design at this stage is that of standardization, while a certain value of component may be calculated for use in some location in a circuit, if that value cannot be purchased from a supplier, then the problem has still not been solved. To avoid this a certain amount of 'catalog engineering' can be applied to solve the more mundane tasks within an overall design.
    So, we could make more flexible circuits or blocks.

This can be done by making the blocks more versatile by using my 'echo' effect. this would be where the message is sent to the whole system and used only by those that are programmed to pick up the signal. of course, if the echo effect would trigger more responses or 'actions,' then we need to go through the thing slowly.

Now, we can make each block more multi functional by making it in 'layers,' where the wires are so thin they will be able to be stacked on top of each other inside the block, and send messages through the block to the things they need to go to.

But, if that is messy, we could start the whole electronics process over!

So, if you were to have a button or trigger, then a information conductor, then a mechanism to trigger - this is similar to engineering, yes? - then you could make the thing work. if it needs advanced functions, rather make the thing bigger than more complicated. tis reminds me of Voda Phone when they released their first cell phone, they had a very big thing. so, we have our basic thing, now to make it smaller!

If we were to use smaller 'bits' doing only one function, we would be where we are today with electronics! it is still quite simple, they just put all the triggers onto a motherboard type thing, or, circuit board.

Now, to make it smaller and better, we need to observe a better 'programming language' or 'bus.' to do that we could use two or three buses, yes? these could be layered on top of each other, as, there is room - open up your remote control and see how much space there is!

If we were to want to build more options into it, we would need to use symbolic systems, like the Chinese language to activate the various parts. there they have very complex symbols and things for words, but, it fits into a small space! this will let the one it means to trigger work through the likeness of the symbols.
    !! Going to my destruction !!

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Why do you keep posting this rubbish that nobody bothers to read?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    Why do you keep posting this rubbish that nobody bothers to read?
    Well... I just did a quick check and it's definitely cocaine... lots of cocaine
    It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. – Charles Darwin

5. Thanks given for this post:

HR Solutions (10-Jan-15)

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Well. if there was ever a reason for getting a good education then this guy proves it...you know the saying "getting the cat by the tail"....in this case it's more like "Getting the bull by the udders"

Suspended
    Thanks
    Lol .......

Thanks

Explaining how radios work to kids.

Radios work on signals from transmitters. these are tuned to the signal of the radio frequency, and, then they are sent out into the world over a limited distance. the transmission comes from the Morse code type signals, as, they are sounds that are sent out at a lower volume, then picked up and broadcast over the radio speaker. this means, that when the world was young, Morse code came before radio, because it was the building blocks of the radio technology.

So, you have your message or song, and then you send out things we find easy today to use, like tablets and game boys and things like that. but, when the world was young, they wanted to send a sound to something else. try to whisper and you will find that your tongue and throat moves around a little bit, but you hear it well, of course. you cannot hear anything that you do not feel, so speakers are there to connect the body of the transmission to the tongue of the radio broadcaster, hey?

Now, when the thing is on one side, and you want to get it to the other side, you need to make sounds that cannot be heard, or bits that are electrical and magnetic, like a magnet, and then they collect on the other end and then we can hear them. but, to get them magnetic, you need to have heat of some sort, to heat up the magnet, and then it sends out tiny 'parcels' of heat that are felt by a super sensitive 'nerve' on the other end. this 'nerve' feels the heat, and, the heat it feels makes a noise through electricity like we just went through.
    !! Going to my destruction !!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123