Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: load shedding free lights

Thanks

load shedding free lights

Load shedding free lights
    All houses can have free lights that are not affected by power cuts. I developed a 24V led globe that’s equal to an incandescent house globe. My house has been running on this 24V light system for more than a year now. This is a 24V DC system using the houses existing light switches and wiring. This system’s voltage drop is minimal because of the higher voltage. Every house can have free lights,the cost of the system is low compare to an inverter system. For my house that’s got 16 globes I use 4x80W solar panels and 2x 105Ah batteries. I do have an emergency 220v power supply that I can switch on when there was no sun for a few days to keep the lights bright.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gombault View Post
    This system’s voltage drop is minimal because of the higher voltage.
    I'm not sure why voltdrop might be an issue but I also don't understand this statement in general. You say you're running 24VDC lamps on the original house wiring, how is this a 'higher voltage' and how would using 24VDC reduce the volt drop?

Every house can have free lights,the cost of the system is......
    Not free, solar powered yes but not 'free'!! In the interests of not misleading potential customers I'd strongly recommend you don't say or even imply that the lights are 'free' when there's considerable capital expenditure required to purchase them.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    I'm not sure why voltdrop might be an issue but I also don't understand this statement in general. You say you're running 24VDC lamps on the original house wiring, how is this a 'higher voltage' and how would using 24VDC reduce the volt drop?

Not free, solar powered yes but not 'free'!! In the interests of not misleading potential customers I'd strongly recommend you don't say or even imply that the lights are 'free' when there's considerable capital expenditure required to purchase them.

Hi,
    How it works is you remove the lights wiring live and neutral from your DB board, they go via the controller to the batteries 24V. The lower the voltage the higher the draw and voltage drop that’s the reason for 24V instead of the more popular 12V led globes. I had many problems in making a globe that could give the required light, handle the heat and compensate for the voltage drop in the wiring as house wiring was not designed for low voltage applications.
    Regarding free lights.
    By free lights I mean you don’t pay Eskom for running your lights. Solar panels should last for about 15- 20 years, the globes should last for around 50,000 hours, the batteries should last for 5 to 7 years.

Thanks
    I was sent this cutting!
    Is Eskom really catching up to the 21st century?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eskom.jpg 
Views:	275 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	5132  
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Thanks
    I don't see the point in spending money on expensive solar installations just for lights. I found some really nice LED battery powered lights at my local Hardware store for R40 each, and bought ten of them. They are unbelievably effective, and we can light our house up like a Christmas tree for a R400 investment.

Cheers

KC

Thanks
    My system is for powering house lights all the time. The lights you got is perfect for your application. I have lights outside on a day night switch that’s always on for security reasons I also have a small inverter for my TV that I powered from my lights system during power cuts. I had this system in my house now for 5 years and I replaced nothing on it. My system will also work for low cost housing the whole system could be cheaper than just the supply power cables to the house. What will it cost to install a power cable of 20 meters? And the power is free.

Thanks
    Aah, I see. Apologies, I assumed it was for when Eskom forgets to order coal...

Cheers

KC

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Hi,
    I had many problems in making a globe that could give the required light, handle the heat and compensate for the voltage drop in the wiring as house wiring was not designed for low voltage applications.
    Please tell us more about you globe.

Thanks
    Could DC be the solution for house applications?
    I don’t believe the solar inverter systems are the solution to our power problems. Solar panels, batteries, laptops, led lights and mobile phones are all DC power. Just about everything in your house that’s electronic is DC but was converted in to AC. Your house lights are the easiest to convert to free DC power. Every house can generate its own power from its roof. Things that consume heavy power like your geyser and stove can be replaced using products that operate from the sun or gas. The Chinese are already making 12/24v DC fridge freezers you can also buy ceiling fans in 12/24v. The biggest problem is to standardize on a voltage, the higher the voltage the lower the consumption and voltage drop. There are many voices coming up in favor of DC power, if countries can agree on a voltage then the Chinese will make all those appliances in no time.
    See: http://blogs.denverpost.com/thebalan...current/11401/
    http://www.technologyreview.com/news...e-of-dc-power/
    http://www.science20.com/news_articl...ke_a_comeback-
    135266 http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/18/bu...look.html?_r=0

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I don't get the notion of "Free power"

What is the significance of AC vs DC in terms of power consumption?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast