Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Inspection report

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Leecatt View Post
    You cannot issue a certificate for a portion of an electrical installation, as explained in Section 9 of the regulations.
    So whoever starts testing should have to finish testing.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Issuing of certificate of compliance
    9. (4) Any person who undertakes to do electrical installation work shall ensure that a valid certificate of compliance is issued for that work

but here it clearly states my point.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Leecatt View Post
    You cannot issue a certificate for a portion of an electrical installation, as explained in Section 9 of the regulations.
    I sign off the portion that i detail in section 3 of the COC?

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Try reading section 9 in its entirety. You cannot just pick out the parts you want to read.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    We discussing inspection reports and the repairs required as a result of the inspection report. An inspection report for an installation which you didn't install.

The certificate required if you do work on a site is another whole discussion which we can go into another time.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    But I being the person responsible for the inspection and testing of the electrical installation, particulars of which are described in section 3 of the form, certify that inspection and testing were done in a accordance with this part of SANS 10142, that the results obtained and reflected on the report are correct.

The extent of my liability is limited to the installation described in section 3.

If I add a lighting point in a house I don't sign off the whole house.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    This why it gets complicated.

If I don't do the inspection report but I do the " repairs only" I only need to sign over the repair work I do as I did not do the inspection report. I would need charge the customer the full inspection report if I have to repair as per the list and sign over the entire installation.

As in the case I am busy with, there are indications that the inspection in incomplete, therefore the initial report should be declared not valid and incomplete so the inspector should not be paid.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingsparks View Post
    But I being the person responsible for the inspection and testing of the electrical installation, particulars of which are described in section 3 of the form, certify that inspection and testing were done in a accordance with this part of SANS 10142, that the results obtained and reflected on the report are correct.

The extent of my liability is limited to the installation described in section 3.

If I add a lighting point in a house I don't sign off the whole house.
    In fact, you do take responsibility for the whole house! Read section 9 of the electrical regulations. It's all there!
    Last edited by Leecatt; 20-Nov-14 at 05:43 AM.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    No comments from Andy or Dave?

Leecat what you saying is customers who get an electrician to install 1 x additional plug socket can in fact use the COC when they sell their house according to section 9.

Just imagine that I fit a plug at the main DB at Kings park stadium and suddenly I am responsible for the entire stadium electrics, but there are only. 15 electrical contractors, not including aircon techs, plumbers doing geysers, council electricians doing stadium lights, and list just goes on.

I will try read section 9 today.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Leecat please post section 9 on this thread or a page number with reference to the book etc.

Something else which makes signing over COC's a mine field and why i try do it as little as possible.

Companies which do this for a living would have an interesting challenge on their hands as sparks indicated by his comment " but i am only responsible for what i write in section 3"

Now here's the thing, a customer calls you to carry out an "inspection report on his/her property" they dont give you a list of items to be tested, you get in your vehicle and head to site.

You find a main DB with a load of circuit breakers you walk around do a visual inspection, take photos, carry out tests and make a fault list. The customer gives you the go ahead to fix some minor repairs and everyone is happy.
    The new customer moves in and decided he wants some minor changes to the electrical installation.
    I get called out and find that parts of the electrical installation are not safe:
    A pool pump which is hidden under a pile of bricks, garden lights which have exposed wires etc etc etc (just using this as an example)
    The Buyer decided to take the seller to court, which means you are called in to explain, but you indicate that you didnt see the pool pump and the owner didnt tell you about it.
    What do you think would happen and who would be responsible for the repair cost and legal fees?

Taking into consideration that section 3 doesnt have a pool pump mentioned, nor the lights etc etc. Do think that would stand in court.

The lawyer would take you to the cleaners. Just because you didnt do your inspection properly doesnt clear you of liabilty.

What are your thoughts?

Another interesting point which i have noted recently, " i couldnt test certain areas because of restricted access". I wonder how a lawyer would take you the cleaners for this comment on your COC?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast