Thread: Outstanding tuition debt

Thanks

Outstanding tuition debt

Originally Posted by casmat
    Good day

Three days ago a I received a letter from a service provider, a collector acting on behalf of a University which was I attached a decade ago. I dropped out while I was doing my postgraduate degree and I am not sure of how much was owed to them. Since then I didn't receive any communication to notify me about the outstanding amount, it's only three days ago when I heard that I owe the University a total amount of R10000 including interest. Kindly advice on how to proceed with this

Suspended
    Thanks
    So are you asking that because you dropped out you think you mustn't pay ?

Gold Member
    Thanks
    You have a point HR, but there is also some responsibility on the creditor to not suddenly arrive with a hugely inflated debt after ten years. I do realise that that there are probably many sides to this story.

Casmat, after reading other posts here, it does sound like this debt may have prescribed after 3 years, which means it is no longer enforceable. This may change if a judgement was made or if some payments were made in the interim or an acknowledgement of debt was made. If none were done, then you may be "off the hook".

There is of course the honest way to go about it if you agree that the money was actually owed. Approach the university and negotiate a reasonable settlement with which you are both happy. Just make sure that there is a written agreement in which the university agrees that the payment is in full and final settlement of your debt with them.

Thanks
    Hi HR Solution.

NRF was funding my tuition fees towards my postgraduate studies. Like I said since I left the university I have never receive any notification from them about any money owed to them. It's only few days ago.

Thanks
    Hi Busfact.

At no stage I have acknowledged any debt or made any payment towards. As I have said to the collector that I am willing to cooperate with them but I have requested the breakdown of the amount on question.

I am not disputing the fact that I may be owing the university some money but why did it take them such a long period to notify me about this alleged debt.

Gold Member
    Thanks
    I tend to agree casmat. I don't think its reasonable to suddenly appear with a 10 year old debt - provided there isn't a very good reason.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by casmat View Post
    Hi Busfact.

At no stage I have acknowledged any debt or made any payment towards. As I have said to the collector that I am willing to cooperate with them but I have requested the breakdown of the amount on question.

I am not disputing the fact that I may be owing the university some money but why did it take them such a long period to notify me about this alleged debt.
    I am not disputing the fact that I may be owing the university some money
    This is a tacit acknowledgement of debt! Not wise if you going the prescription route. I must emphasize that extinctive prescription exists to punish a creditor for not suing out summons within 3 years of the debt becoming due and payable
    “Ubuntu is the essence of being humane" Desmond Tutu
    Spelling mistakes and/or typographical errors I found in leading publications.
    Click here
    sabbaticus