Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Load Shedding to be revived in full force

Thanks
    Some "guy" thinks he knows why Eishcom's so bad at delivering a product: http://mybroadband.co.za/news/govern...city-mess.html

I think his "reason" is just one of the symptoms of the much deeper reasons behind it all ... incompetence, corruption, laziness, don't care attitude, etc.

As for the water ... definitely agreed: It's a disaster waiting to happen in the same category as a ticking hydrogen bomb. I.e. WHEN it goes off (NOT IF) it's going to be orders of magnitude worse than just having no lights for a few hours.

As to the flushing toilets idea ... that's one of many things going on in the so-called "Green Building" ideals. The trouble is every tom-dick-and-harry wants to have their building "Green Star Rated", but when they see what it entails to actually make it so they start retreating. I know, (I'm in Architecture) I've had every single project in the last 10 years have some form of "Let's get it green star rated" - but then when the budget is calculated it's: "What can we omit and still keep our rating?"

The main water ideals in the GBCSA rating means you class water into 3 categories: Black (like the stuff coming out of toilets), Grey (the stuff coming from basins, showers, baths, etc.) and Pottable (the drinkable water from the tap). E.g. you can collect Grey water to fill your toilet's cistern, you can use Black water for landscape watering (i.e. wet the plants), and you can use rainwater to augment Portable (drinkable) water. But that is going to cost a lot indeed, you need a water treatment plant to get rid of stuff like chemicals (e.g. from a washing machine) or split such water off from being re-used, and few buildings these days go with such an expensive system (even though most of them "want to be GREEN" - but only if it costs nothing).
    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves. - Norm Franz
    And central banks are the slave clearing houses

Thanks
    Third power outage in 3 days what to do? Generators cost a fortune
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Thanks
    Unfortunately all effective power back-up solutions cost a fortune and most have severe logistical drawbacks. If you can get away with running a generator with the smoke, the noise and obviously have a place to put it along with the fuel required and with sufficient security that it will still be there tomorrow then you're in the lucky minority.

4. Thanks given for this post:

irneb (05-Nov-14)

Thanks
    I am thinking of buying a small generator just to keep essential items going during power cuts. Things like charge laptop and cell phone, and keep the fridge working.

Cheers

KC

Thanks
    If you live on a small holding in the middle of nowhere then a small generator is a great option, if you stay in one of those Tuscanny town house complexes then I doubt the neighbours will tolerate it. I'd choose one large enough to run my computer and router so I could still get online during outages and moan about how useless Eskom are

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KCS View Post
    I want to figure out a way I can harvest rain water to use for flushing toilets. It does not sit well with me that we use perfectly good drinking water for flushing toilets.

Collecting the water is easy. My problem is how do I get it to the upstairs toilets?

Cheers

KC
    Use a small pump with a built in pressure cut out
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12