Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3D printing...

Diamond Member
    Thanks

3D printing...

I got a 3D printer on Friday. It's one of those R30K filament types. Damn, damn damn....what a stunning piece of equipment. The quality is good and I've already printed a variety of parts in various materials. ABS works extremely well. There are hundreds of files available for free on the internet. It is truly amazing to see the wide variety of stuff that is available. The thing that I love about it is that one can solve real-world problems quickly and easy right on the desktop. I designed and made snap fit belt splice for my broken T2.5 timing belt on the one laser. The machine really enables you to turn a dream into reality at the touch of a button. I think that the technology is absolutely brilliant and it is revolutionising manufacturing. The little guy can now design, prototype, evolve and perfect a product at a very low cost. Many products can then be cast in resin which means that the need for injection moulding and the expensive tooling that goes with it. Injection moulding is great for doing 10,000 copies of the same product but inappropriate for small scale manufacturing.

I vote this machine as THE coolest piece of equipment that I have ever laid my hands on.

Suspended
    Thanks
    I have heard of them. I am heading to Taiwan on Sat and have been told that I am going to see "the future" - 3D machines and machines that are even more unbelievable that will apparently be available in the near future. I find the 3D machines absolutely fascinating - that you can make basically anything out of nothing. I saw a documentary the other day where they made 3D handguns. Unfortunately when they tested them with live ammo they did not stand up too well. I will try to bring back info and photos if you would like.

Thanks
    Adrian, did you import the technology or source it locally? I have a client who is looking to do the same, and a trusted recommendation would be appreciated.

Founder of Growth Surge - Helping entrepreneurs create more wealth and enjoy more freedom.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    I got a 3D printer on Friday. It's one of those R30K filament types. Damn, damn damn....what a stunning piece of equipment. The quality is good and I've already printed a variety of parts in various materials. ABS works extremely well.

I vote this machine as THE coolest piece of equipment that I have ever laid my hands on.
    Congratulations Adrian good to see your toy/ business equipment collection growing.

Now we want show and tell do you have any pics to share?

How fast is this ?

30K is a good price, I am jealous.
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I purchased the machine from a little company in Pretoria. The reason being that they are the only people that import the machine that I selected. I did a lot of research into the machines and the one I got is by far the best that is available. Their service is not bad and I received the machine in a couple of days via their courier.

The machine is a Ultimaker2

http://www.buildvolume.co.za/

6. Thanks given for this post:

Greig Whitton (30-Oct-14)

Thanks
    You must watch movies_print-the-legend_2014 it is on Netflix. It is all about 3D print machine makers.
    I was not impressed by the guys in charge of the equipment companies.
    But the technology is great.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Ian, take a look at this site to see what is available for free. I've made a couple of those parts already. "Fast" is very difficult to quantify. You can print an object at say 0.3mm 0.1mm or even 0.06mm. You are also able to specify the material fill volume. Lets say you create a 5x5x5 cube with a fill of 100%. Obviously the entire block will be solid and it would take a long time to print. Ok, so lets say you specify a 10% fill then the machine creates an outer wall thickness as per your specs i.e. 0.8mm and then it creates a honeycomb of cross braces that takes up 10% of the product volume. You do not always need to make an object completely solid. Many parts don't take a lot of force for 15% is fine.

http://www.thingiverse.com/

Thanks
    MMM
    The laywood would be an interesting material to try especially if you can make them hollow objects.
    I can see this getting like printing.
    Do you print it digtally, slap it on the press or send it out the big boys with the big fast presses.
    Anyway I am still jealous.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I just make the stuff that I need. Some of the stuff will be turned into moulds for resin casting.

Silver Member league_of_ordinary_men's Avatar
    Thanks
    That's really awesome adrianh. We just got the MakerBot 3D printers in stock and a lot of filaments. I can't wait to see what you get up to with that thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast