Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728

Thread: The Electrical Certificate of Compliance explained

Thanks
    Hi guys.
    In connection with issuing a supplementary to the original COC'S, is a total unreasonable requirement, as you have been requested to do a small alteration by installing a plug or a light, as i have mentioned before, when you do a new installation you give multiple copies of the COC's, to everyone owners, architect, engineers, etc. Then you ask client on completion of the installation could we have the original COC not once have we had them find it.
    This is what we do.
    1. Do a total COC of the existing installation.
    2. Warn the client that their installation is not compliant.
    3. Give the client a rough idea of what the issue are.
    4. Never give a detailed information of the defects.
    5. Give them a quote and see if they accept the price.
    6. If price has not been approved.
    7. Issue COC FORMS as an alteration.
    8. Under section ( sorry on holiday can't check the section number).
    We state that the existing installation is not compliant and mention the exact installation that we have done.

I know as mentioned on previous posts that you will be responsible for the entire existing installation, but you must be totally out of your mind if you can tell the client sorry but we have to switch you OFF, because your installation is not compliant, I am sure you will be shot at before you reach main switch.

As mentioned before where are the electrical inspectors.

SORRY HAD TO BRING THAT UP AGAIN

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    It's to good to hear people complaining about inspectors changing a decent rate for COC's ... I have had 2 complaints about inspectors charging R1500 for a small installations and R R2000 for a installation carried out by someone else (becoming common for solar and inverter installs)

Its about time ... as mentioned by someone ... everything is doubling in price ... its about time we bought our rates up so we can also earn a living wage.

R750 call out fee ... excluding per km rate (domestic) should be for the 2 bob sparkies ... going up from that depending on your setup and experience.

Its good to see the economy is taking off ... 3 calls already for work this morning and its only 7.45 am and I am so busy I cant keep up with the work load ... so what I am doing is focusing on customer who have supported me when I needed them.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    It's to good to hear people complaining about inspectors changing a decent rate for COC's ... I have had 2 complaints about inspectors charging R1500 for a small installations and R R2000 for a installation carried out by someone else (becoming common for solar and inverter installs)

Its about time ... as mentioned by someone ... everything is doubling in price ... its about time we bought our rates up so we can also earn a living wage.

R750 call out fee ... excluding per km rate (domestic) should be for the 2 bob sparkies ... going up from that depending on your setup and experience.

Its good to see the economy is taking off ... 3 calls already for work this morning and its only 7.45 am and I am so busy I cant keep up with the work load ... so what I am doing is focusing on customer who have supported me when I needed them.
    As the saying goes, "pay a worker his due" and I share your sentiments. I now made the decission to charge my worth and as you find, work has started streaming in. I am really glad for you @ians !

Thanks
    Been lurking on here for a while
    I work for one of cape towns biggest electrical companies..well biggest in my area(pity no competition which is a big pain) and we have a compliance business that does in some months over 60 compliance certficates..not going to get started on water but below is electrical
    Where do I start by listing out the issues.We are tired and gatvol like everybody on here (especially Ians.)
    -Sellers dont want to pay no matter how big or small the job
    -Buyers want a new house and dont want to or dont understand the word household maintenance
    -Biggest issue is the timing of a transfer.Things stop working or become faulty in between the time we were there and new buyer moves in.You want a quick transfer not 6 months and empty house.IE Pool pumps dont like to stand and when they do the first time you put them they trip .First thing that is said was compliance even done her.So irritating as are they suddenly the experts on what compliance issue is and no bulbs are not compliance issues
    -Estate agents after selling properties still cant understand what compliance is about.Any issue is somehow a compliance issue no matter what..You buying a second hand house not new house
    -Nature of work...more work you do the more other things click out.You do the right thing by putting bypassed things on earth leakage and faults are exposed and who do you think gets the blame...happens alot with UFH
    -Confusion in market among sparky on whats a issue..we will pass 2 cable into a gland and dont see that as illegal entry .You fix that and it just causes more issues.Another compliance company will come and throw you under the bus or worse the bakkie brigade..A house wife or agent just hears non compliant and you got nowhere to explain yourself.You could go to their work and find similar faults even though house is safe both ways.
    -Inspection authority .Are they good for the industry? We are South Africa (3rd world country ) not Germany.They can create confusion as different inspector apply law differently.The registered person shoudl be able to take responsibility and say house is safe not non complaint cause needs stickers somewhere.
    -Public want to hold you accountable for any issue in the house as you did compliance there.Most of these issues cannot be predicted like leaks causing tripping.
    -If you a electrical firm and you even change a plug at a clients house ,now suddenly you liable for compliance of whole house as you worked there.Some Housewives are the worst at this
    -You cant see everything as dont live in House but somehow expected to know how house is wired or what switches what
    -Buyer wanting things that you blanked off as non compliant and cheaper to blank off.Now a spot light becomes a big issue
    -Biggest issue behind the timing is not understanding difference between maintenance and compliance.The public think that everything must work..our biggest issue
    -Technically not sure I agree with UFH thermostat having a isolater as can be an expensive exercise in big house
    -Pool boards are hardly ever compliant and cuase issues as often timers get out of sync after work done..many call backs after working in pool board
    -Loadshedding time is a terrible time to do isolaters to gate motors ...battery cant recharge..so many issues.
    -Surges are unlucky if happening in area on council side as not a compliance issue and seller wont install surge protection and your reputation takes a hit and nothing you can do to control surges (well the first one).
    That is a few of issues .I was thinking of creating a website to put everybody on same page

Thanks
    Can you put two DB' in one enclosure?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter26 View Post
    Can you put two DB' in one enclosure?
    As per SANS definition -
    distribution board
    switchboard
    switchgear and controlgear assembly
    enclosure that contains electrical equipment for the distribution or control of electrical power from one or more incoming circuits to one or more outgoing circuits

In my opinion a DB is an enclosure with electrical equipment array fitted into the same enclosure. In my understanding there can be a number of equipment arrays within the same enclosure as long as the main --> sub-board requirements for each array are met.

Thanks
    The problem is who will hold the person accountable. I know of at least 2 incorrect coc s and installations not compliant at all
    that was reported to the eca and they did nothing. AiA inspector wad involved in the one still nothing only a report. DOL did nothing not it even cancelling that companies registration. Tried all the routes and you hit the wall everywhere. Tried the legal route and again thousands of rands later and still this public facility is operating without intervention of DOL AIA and ECA

Thanks
    Totally agree. My husband did a report of an incorrect geyser installation at a town house complex after a 6 yr old boy got shocked and burnt. This could of been fatal. The report was given through to the townhiuse management. He fixed the geyser. And then what happened. Nothing. Nothing happened to the plumber who installed the geyser. Who is suppose to take this further

Thanks
    I just want to add a titbit here ito CoC, as it is the "new" thing nowadays.

The only people that can give a CoC for a solar installation, are:
    B. Installation Electrician who can work on a Three Phase installations. Normally buildings and factories supplied with 380 Volt three-phase supply
    C. Master Electrician for Hazardous Locations, basically petrol stations, mines, and flammable areas.

Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728