Ill take a stab as a layman

Quote Originally Posted by Derlyn View Post
Artvark

Many guys have overlooked your question regarding lights not working.if the lights are not working due to a blown bulb - not a problem , if the light is not working because the bare copper conductors are hanging out the chocolate block - problem

My opinion is that most electricians are unsure .... and therefore hesitant to answer your question, myself included.

I have checked the regs and my contribution is as follows.

1. Lights are not included in the COC. ( Note 3 on the test report confirms this ) This note only refers to the actual light - the circuit to the light still needs to be checked for compliance
2. The circuits to fixed appliances are covered but not the appliance itself. As per note 3 you mentioned
3. From the regulations it states that a luminaire (light) becomes a fixed appliance when it is combined with a fan.In this case its to make sure it can be isolated when performing mainance work on it - same as a geyeser and stove - point of isolation so that the plumber or handyman can easily and safely isolate the power
4. The regulations for a fixed appliance are thus only applicable for a light when it is combined with a fan.I would still make sure that if the light fitting is made from a conductive material and within arms reach that is earted
5. The problem arises with the definition of a fixed appliance. A light that is mounted to the wall is a fixed appliance because one needs to use a tool to remove it. Is it a fixed appliance ?
I don't know. Its stays behind when you move out - but you don't need a point of isolation at the appliance as with "other" fixed appliances

From the above one can see that there is a grey area as far as lights are concerned. That is why electricians differ on this issue.

When I do an inspection on a domestic installation and come across lights that have been plugged into socket outlets, I always quote to rewire them onto the lighting circuit so as to prevent any comebacks in future. That said, I'm still not sure whether a light plugged into a socket outlet is legal or not. Its commonly used in factories especially with High bay lighs to make replacement of the entire fitting easy

Maybe some of the other toppies can comment.

Peace out ... Derek
I have always seen its as, when you move out, does is stay behind ?
"Yes - Then its a