Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: The Electrical Certificate of Compliance explained

Thanks
    And they ask why I am grey and half bald

Thanks
    I fully agree with you sparks.
    Thanks

Thanks
    Hi hoping for some advice. In the process of doing CoC and the electrician has said we need to replace a ceiling fan because the chain switch is broken, but the fan can also be switched on/off on a wall switch, is it really necessary to replace the fan because of the chain switch? The electrician did replace the chain switch but the new one does nothing either.

Thanks
    Firstly, the ceiling fan has nothing to do with the COC. Secondly the "electrician" does not know how to find the fault on a fan so I am wondering whether he knows what he is doing at all. For interest sake the fan has 3speeds, it has to start at the fastest speed as it does not have the torque to start at lower speeds. If it does regularly, it will burn the motor out which is what I suspect has been the fault all along.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Belz View Post
    Hi hoping for some advice. In the process of doing CoC and the electrician has said we need to replace a ceiling fan because the chain switch is broken, but the fan can also be switched on/off on a wall switch, is it really necessary to replace the fan because of the chain switch? The electrician did replace the chain switch but the new one does nothing either.
    Hi. First things first. As mentioned by SPARKS the fan does not form part of the installation other than its position and supply. (6.16.1.1). The fan is regarded as a fixed appliance (6.16.1.3) and therefore should comply to regulation in that regard (Its position and supply). If its protected by E/L no disconnector is required. If not protected by E/L a disconnector shall be installed within 1.5m from the fan (6.16.1.4).

Hope it helped
    TDMI

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    Firstly, the ceiling fan has nothing to do with the COC. Secondly the "electrician" does not know how to find the fault on a fan so I am wondering whether he knows what he is doing at all. For interest sake the fan has 3speeds, it has to start at the fastest speed as it does not have the torque to start at lower speeds. If it does regularly, it will burn the motor out which is what I suspect has been the fault all along.
    Hi Sparks thank you for the reply, yes I am also bit skeptical now as to whether he knows what he is doing or not!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by W-TDMI View Post
    Hi. First things first. As mentioned by SPARKS the fan does not form part of the installation other than its position and supply. (6.16.1.1). The fan is regarded as a fixed appliance (6.16.1.3) and therefore should comply to regulation in that regard (Its position and supply). If its protected by E/L no disconnector is required. If not protected by E/L a disconnector shall be installed within 1.5m from the fan (6.16.1.4).

Hope it helped
    TDMI
    Hi TDMI

Thank you for your reply, it was very helpful.

Thanks

a little advice please

Good evening, I hope I'm in the right thread but you all seem to be the best people to give me some advice so please can I have some suggestions.
    We have just had a building contractor do a renovation for us. We entrusted him to vet all tradespersons. He insisted he use his own people and I couldn't argue with his logic. To cut to the chase - his electrician recently gave me a COC (contractor was not on site). I googled how to vet the COC and found ECBSA website - punched in both registration numbers on the page as well as his name - Nothing ?
    I contacted the builder to ask for a copy of elec wiremans licence and registration so that I could validate the COC and was given runaround for a week, now "apparently" the electrician has had a fall of a roof and will be in hospital for a few months. REALLY? This coincides with the end of the retainer period strangely enough.
    I would like to know, if I could validate the COC without the wiremans licence or registration, with the COC alone? Should I just get another electrical company to issue a new COC in case there are a few problems before the retainer runs out?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by homeowner View Post
    I googled how to vet the COC and found ECBSA website - punched in both registration numbers on the page as well as his name - Nothing ?
    That just means he's not a member of the Electrical Conformance Board.

Rather check if the electrical contractor is registered with the Department of Labour, which is the statutory requirement.

Unfortunately there is no online resource to do this - you're going to have to phone. The contact number for Cape Town is 021 441 8000/8086.

Thanks
    Thank you, on it.

Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast