Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: The Electrical Certificate of Compliance explained

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pieter00 View Post
    and how do i do the registration at DOL if i work work more then one company in a year? as it shows a couple companies I've worked for on their system and the ECA said this is going to be a problem but they don't know what i must do to fix it. Each company has to register me as I'm doing COC's under the company name.
    You can only be registered as a single phase tester / IE / MIE at one contractor at a time.
    (And my view is that is exactly the way it should be, frankly).

In terms of process to change, it is something I have had to deal with and it can be a real pain if the previous employer does not come to the party. Babalo wants affidavits from all and sundry, and also wants the previous employer's contractor registration certificate returned / updated.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    How the rules only apply to a selected few
    The rules apply to those who have them applied

On the issue of sales being concluded without the seller providing a COC, section 10(4) as referred to by Graham above reads as follows:

Where a person designs, manufactures, imports, sells or supplies an article or substance for or to another person and that other person undertakes in writing to take specified steps sufficient to ensure, as far as is reasonably practicable, that the article or substance will comply with all prescribed requirements and will be safe and without risks to health when properly used, the undertaking shall have the effect of relieving the first- mentioned person from the duty imposed upon him by this section to such an extent as may be reasonable having regard to the terms of the undertaking.

When it comes to property sales, this is useful where there are significant issues with the existing electrical installation and the purchaser intends to do major alterations (making bringing the existing installation up to standard wasteful expenditure). On a practical level, it must be noted that where this is done DOL expects an electrical COC to be issued before anyone occupies the building (or occupation is transferred – with occupation being something different to possession).

Thanks
    [There are illegal electrical connections everywhere in Sa Eskom do nothing about. They run across the road from street lights. Water and electricity are human rights so why do we pay VAT on govt owned entities? Certain foods are VAT free but we pay VAT on water and power? Something does not make sense.

Thanks
    While we are the subject of things that don't make sense .... a seller needs to provide a valid CoC, valid plans for their house and in some province a bug certificate. HOWEVER, if a bank sells a property, these are things to protect the buyer are not included. The buyer accepts this condition and from my personal experience uses it as an excuse for not providing the required docs 7 years after they bought on auction from a bank. Why are banks exempt from the law? No doubt the conditions of sale are in the small print. If sellers require a CoC to sell property, this should also apply to banks who sell on auction. Rules are rules.

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Who is Babalo?
    So if i attached a letter of service to my Annexure 3 application, can they then remove me from the registration as IE at the company and put me under the new company?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pieter00 View Post
    So if i attached a letter of service to my Annexure 3 application, can they then remove me from the registration as IE at the company and put me under the new company?
    You can try that, I suppose...

In our case, we had to submit a sworn affidavit from the IE we were wanting to register onto our contractor registration, and plead for DOL to accept an email from the previous contractor confirming that the IE was no longer employed by them.

Thanks
    Hi guys, this is a bit off topic question, can an employer register a electrician working for them as an I.E or M.I.E at the ECA for online C.O.C’s and than the employer receive access to this C.O.C’s on behalf of that registered person, the password to such a online C.O.C. is given to the employer doing the registration? or is this incorrect and password is only given to that licensed person, Any knowledge on the registration process and access granted to whom, will be appreciated.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I had to fill out a COC last week ... havent done that in a while ... someone needs to educate the design engineer who came up with the layout and content ... i forgot how ridiculous it is repeating myself over and over ... with the least amount of actual information that would determine the saftey of an entire installation

An xl spreadshett with circuit information and results would be a good start.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rifrug View Post
    Hi guys, this is a bit off topic question, can an employer register a electrician working for them as an I.E or M.I.E at the ECA for online C.O.C’s and than the employer receive access to this C.O.C’s on behalf of that registered person, the password to such a online C.O.C. is given to the employer doing the registration? or is this incorrect and password is only given to that licensed person, Any knowledge on the registration process and access granted to whom, will be appreciated.
    Based on my experience, the COC blank stock is issued to the Electrical Contractor.

If that sounds contrary to the Electrical Installation Regulations, consider this:
    Is the COC issued when someone drafts it (fills in the details), once the responsible person signs it, or once it is given to the client after it has been drafted and signed...?

I gently suggest the employer should control the stock, but it is critical that it is only issued via the signing off of the responsible person.

To my mind in a perfect world there should be two sign-offs on any eCOC - the Contractor and the Responsible Person.
    The regs may hold the responsible person to account, but whenever the shyte hits the fan, it is the Electrical Contractor that picks up the tab for the school fees...

10. Thanks given for this post:

Rifrug (14-Jul-20)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    I had to fill out a COC last week ... havent done that in a while ... someone needs to educate the design engineer who came up with the layout and content ... i forgot how ridiculous it is repeating myself over and over ... with the least amount of actual information that would determine the saftey of an entire installation

An xl spreadshett with circuit information and results would be a good start.
    You will be delighted to hear that thanks to a SANS 10142-1 update due to take effect any day now, a two page COC is just around the corner.

Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast