Page 22 of 28 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: The Electrical Certificate of Compliance explained

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quite an accurate assessment of the state of the industry.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
    To make a mistake is human, to learn from that mistake is knowledge and knowledge is strength.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Leecatt View Post
    Quite an accurate assessment of the state of the industry.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
    It actually quite clever the way they set up the buyer ...nobody but the buyer actually has to pay out any money for a claim until right at the end after thousands if not hundreds of thousands by the time you are finished with lawyers fees and repair cost...to make it even worse... as soon as the new owner lodges the claim ...his insurance on the property is no longer valid ...so not only could you be sitting on a fire hazard you have no insurance cover...you are screwed from every angle.

How absurd does that even sound ...its crazy.

While on the subject of insurance ...DONT FORGET TO CHECK OUT YOUR COVER FOR LIGHTNING DAMAGE... INSURANCE COMPANIES DO NOT COVER FOR POWER SURGES CAUSED BY THEFT OF NEUTRAL CONDUCTORS OR ANY OTHER SURGES CAUSED BY THE ESKOM. A customer had to pay out over R200 000.00 damages caused to his building due to a fault not caused by lightning (the asseser checked the weather and there was no lightning on that day...they rejected the claim.

So do you think they gona pay out if they get wind that your COC for your property is invalid...think about.

Just like the first thing an assessor checks on your vehicle is your tyres... smooth tyres no claim. ..always make sure your tyres are in road worthy condition prior to contacting the insurance company.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Thanks
    Which is why I have always maintained that the onbudsman was a better deal. He had the authority to dictate fines and imprisonment for illegal COCs against the contractor. He would do an inspection at the buyers expense and if fault was found he would have an onsight meeting with the contractor who would be given 7days to rectify or else appear in court. Problem solved, end of story. His demise was the beginning of the rot we see in the industry now. Seta accredited COCs would not survive his inspection as it is now. The laziness of the public to do research is also a major contributor to the poor standard of COCs.

Thanks
    Good day, l would like an assistant regarding the COC in a block of flat. Say you are a single phase tester, are you allowed to issue a certificate of compliance to one of those flats as the have a single phase db board? To more, the supply cable is from the meter box on the street. Is this prohibited accordingly to DoL?

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    As long as the point of control is single phase then you may test and issue a COC
    In a block of flats the DB in the flat would be regarded as the point of control

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Hi Sparks, can you please tell me where it is written that Nobody including agents may market a property that does not have a valid (CoC)?

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pieter00 View Post
    Hi Sparks, can you please tell me where it is written that Nobody including agents may market a property that does not have a valid (CoC)?
    Please attach the link to the statement.

We all know that is not the case ...in fact you can adjust the sale agreement to sell a property without a COC ...I bought my house without a valid COC... I wouldnt trust anyone to sign over a COC for a property i was purchasing.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Hi
    The OHSA stipulates the sale of articles , and a house electrical has a prescribed regulation , so I am led to believe
    I am also led to believe that this clause was used to nullify a house sale after the new owners moved in and decided that they did not like the house.

22. Sale of certain articles prohibited
    Subject to the provisions of section 10 (4), if any requirement (including any health and safety standard) in respect of any article, substance, plant, machinery or health and safety equipment or for the use or application thereof has been prescribed, no person shall sell or market in any manner whatsoever such article, substance, plant, machinery or health and safety equipment unless it complies with that requirement.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GCE View Post
    Hi
    The OHSA stipulates the sale of articles , and a house electrical has a prescribed regulation , so I am led to believe
    I am also led to believe that this clause was used to nullify a house sale after the new owners moved in and decided that they did not like the house.

22. Sale of certain articles prohibited
    Subject to the provisions of section 10 (4), if any requirement (including any health and safety standard) in respect of any article, substance, plant, machinery or health and safety equipment or for the use or application thereof has been prescribed, no person shall sell or market in any manner whatsoever such article, substance, plant, machinery or health and safety equipment unless it complies with that requirement.
    China malls?

Shacks ?

I had to stop the other day and actually drive around a loom of about 50 house wires across the road twisted onto the overhead line...no circuit protection... from there down into the grass and about 200 m across an open piece of ground feeding all the shacks.

How the rules only apply to a selected few

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Quick question. if i do contract work, what annexure must i complete with the company and how do i keep my GN nr? and how do i do the registration at DOL if i work work more then one company in a year? as it shows a couple companies I've worked for on their system and the ECA said this is going to be a problem but they don't know what i must do to fix it. Each company has to register me as I'm doing COC's under the company name.

Page 22 of 28 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast