Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: The Electrical Certificate of Compliance explained

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Hi Sean
    Municipalities and Eskom are wanting to ensure that somebody responsible has installed the cable and will take responsibility if something goes wrong- The COC is not quite the correct form but they tend to use it as a tool to cover themselves.
    I would ensure that section 3 comments is filled in to say that the coc covers the installation/replacement of the main cable from point of supply to point of control and fill in the readings once power is switched on.
    To cover myself further , in section 3 comments, I would state that their is an existing COC in place or alternatively that I have notified the owner of his responsibility to obtain a COC for the complete installation - You could also state that you have submitted a quotation to test the complete installation and supply a list of faults and are awaiting go ahead.
    To me, you would have then covered yourself against any possible come back

2. Thanks given for this post:

SeanM (04-Jan-19)

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Hi

Thank you for the responses it makes sense although we need anothet form I think.

Thanks
    We are having a bit of a discussion now. We all know that when a property gets sold a COC needs to be issued. Therefore, even if the house was built three years ago and is being sold now, any installation electrician can do the inspection and issue the COC. But SANS 10142 states you are not allowed to issue a COC if you have not done the work or was on site 80% of the time. I know on the COC you can tick off new installation or existing installation/alteration. But it seems to me that the section in the SANS 10142 regarding the issueing of COC's is a bit of a grey area. Your thoughts and opinions?

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Hi Andrea

It is not really a grey area , but in typically SA fashion we tend to ignore regulations that do not suit us and then label them as grey .

To issue a COC, it needs to have been under general control of the person - There is no stipulation as to % of time spent on site -
    [B]Definition of general control[/B] in relation to electrical installation work that is being carried out, includes instruction, guidance and supervision in respect of that work

According to SANS 10142 - Ed2 ( the wording was brought out in Dec 2003)
    8 Verification and certification
    NOTE In South Africa, it is a statutory requirement that every user or lessor of an
    electrical installation shall have a valid Certificate of Compliance (CoC) for every
    such installation. A CoC will only be valid when it is accompanied by a test report
    in the format of the test report in 8.7

If we read the note, every property should have a COC and should therefore be available when carrying out a test and inspection for a renewal - The renewal would be seen as a supplementary COC and section 3 would state that it is a retest of the installation - If the COC is not available then the retesting should not be taking place until the COC is available as you may be running the risk of signing off on some pirate contractors work.

The grey area could come in when you are told that they have been in the house prior to 1992 and never had any work done , which is highly unlikely.You will easily pick up that the house is 3 years old and there should be an existing COC available. The user should produce the certificate for you as per OHSA

The OHSA , Electrical Installation regulations pretty much spell it out as pasted below .
    Certificate of compliance
    7. (1) Subject to the provisions of subregulation (3), every user or lessor of an electrical installation, as the case may be, shall have a valid certificate of compliance for that installation in the form of Annexure 1, which shall be accompanied by a test report in the format approved by the chief inspector, in respect of every such electrical installation.
    (2)
    Subject to the provisions of subregulation (3), every user or lessor of an electrical installation, as the case may be, shall on request produce the certificate of compliance for that electrical installation to an inspector, a supplier or, subject to regulation 4(1), an approved inspection authority for electrical installations.
    (3)
    Subregulation (1) shall not apply to an electrical installation that existed prior to 23 October 1992, and where there was no change of ownership after 1 March 1994: Provided that, if any addition or alteration is effected to such an electrical installation, the user or lessor of the electrical installation, as the case may be, shall obtain a certificate of compliance for the whole electrical installation, whereafter the provisions of subregulation (1) shall be applicable to such electrical installation

The OHSA refers to new electrical installations being carried out under general control.Electrical installations prior do not have the stipulation as pasted below
    Issuing of certificate of compliance
    9. (1) No person other than a registered person may issue a certificate of compliance.
    (2) A registered person may issue a certificate of compliance accompanied by the required test report only after having satisfied himself or herself by means of an inspection and test that
    (a)
    a new electrical installation complies with the provisions of regulation 5(1) and was carried out under his or her general control; or
    (b)
    an electrical installation which existed prior to the publication of the current edition of the health and safety standard incorporated into these Regulations in terms of regulation 5(1), complies with the general safety principles of such standard; or
    (c)
    an electrical installation referred to in paragraph (b), to which extensions or alterations have been effected, that
    (i) the existing part of the electrical installation complies with the general safety principles of such standard and is reasonably safe, and
    (ii) the extensions or alterations effected comply with the provisions of regulation 5(1) and were carried out under his or her general control.
    (3)
    If at any time prior to the issuing of a certificate of compliance any fault or defect is detected in any part of the electrical installation, the registered person shall refuse to issue such certificate until that fault or defect has been rectified: Provided that if such fault or defect in the opinion of the registered person constitutes an immediate danger to persons in a case where electricity is already supplied, he or she shall forthwith take steps to disconnect the supply to the circuit in which the fault or defect was detected and notify the chief inspector thereof.
    (4)
    Any person who undertakes to do electrical installation work shall ensure that a valid certificate of compliance is issued for that work.
    (5)
    No person may amend a certificate of compliance

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Greetings

There is a reason you indicate new or exciting as is you are issuing a COC on a new installation then once signed off you are saying everything is according to the regulations. On the other hand is it is an exciting installation then the general safety principles apply basically what you can see.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Hi Sean

I am basically trying to say that make sure you don't just issue a COC for a building that has recently been built , past 10 years or so ( since 1992) , as it is possible that the installation was not done by a registered electrical contractor.
    The copy of the original COC should be available and you should just be issuing a retest , supplementary COC .
    By ticking existing installation and issuing a full COC you basically become the owner of the installation and the previous hidden funny's and contractor ride off into the sunset never to be bugged again.
    The original COC should be a live document that just keeps getting added to - It also takes the guessing out of the date of installation and amendments that apply.

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Morning GCE

Thank you and agreed, It would be really good if we had more electricians on the same page.

Email problem
    Thanks
    I am buying a farm. Eskom has been disconnected. The electrical installation in the house is chaos. I don't want to re-connect Eskom. I am willing to accept the house as voetstoots (as is) without electricity. How do I legally go about to buy the farm without a valid COC?

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Hi

If the is no supply then there can be no COC issued for the farm
    If there is a generator that is used to power the installation then you will need a COC with the generator as the point of supply

It is possible for the seller to hand over the responsibility of obtaining the COC to the buyer - If the written acceptance is sent in with the transfer it seems that it is accepted.
    We had a similar case recently on a commercial building

Thanks
    COC"s who is who in the zoo.
    We have short and easy to fill in and then long and complicated , where you have to state the same
    stuff multiple times for what....This DOL form was designed by who ???
    I think the designers should sit down with the guys that have to fill in the form
    and get rid of some of the nonsense.
    If you install just one plug, you have to go through a form thats a mission to fill in....there has to be
    a simplified version .Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190520_130447.jpg 
Views:	529 
Size:	54.1 KB 
ID:	7556
    Now i got that off my chest

Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast