Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: The Electrical Certificate of Compliance explained

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Here it isElectrical Instalation Regulation (1).pdf

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
    To make a mistake is human, to learn from that mistake is knowledge and knowledge is strength.

2. Thanks given for this post:

Gamatwp (01-Jan-20)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Leecatt View Post
    Here it isElectrical Instalation Regulation (1).pdf

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
    Thank you, brother.

Cheers and peace out

Derek

4. Thanks given for this post:

Gamatwp (01-Jan-20)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Derlyn View Post
    Simple answer ....... No. Sections 2 and 4 do not need to be completed.
    Describe in section 3 the part of the installation covered by your COC.

You will be issuing a supplementary COC and you have to refer to the existing COC, quoting it's number and date of issue.
    If there is no existing valid COC for the installation, then it is not possible to issue a supplementary COC.

Cheers and peace out
    Derek
    HI, thanks i understand that it doesnt need to be filled out.

But is it fine that this initial COC wont have section 2 and section 4 filled out.

Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamatwp View Post
    HI, thanks i understand that it doesnt need to be filled out.

But is it fine that this initial COC wont have section 2 and section 4 filled out.

Thanks in advance
    My brother

If there is no existing COC for the installation then you will have to issue an initial COC even although you only installed the meter base.
    You will have to do inspection & testing of the whole installation and satisfy yourself that it is reasonably safe. You will then have to complete ALL the sections on the test report.

Cheers and peace out
    Derek

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Greetings All

I recently went to a customer that had all of their equipment blow due to a surge during load shedding and I mean everything.

I repaired and installed surge arrestors in the DB board (note: three phase DB so four surge arrestors). It was a samite DB and with these types of surge arrestors they have an indication light which is green to indicate there status. Normally the surge arrestors with the phases on, the indicator light is on and the neutral surge arrestor light is off (I understand this) in this particular instance all indicator lights are on even the neutral. I have tested the voltage on the neutral and it is 0 volts.

Anyone had a similar issue?

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanM View Post
    Greetings All

I recently went to a customer that had all of their equipment blow due to a surge during load shedding and I mean everything.

I repaired and installed surge arrestors in the DB board (note: three phase DB so four surge arrestors). It was a samite DB and with these types of surge arrestors they have an indication light which is green to indicate there status. Normally the surge arrestors with the phases on, the indicator light is on and the neutral surge arrestor light is off (I understand this) in this particular instance all indicator lights are on even the neutral. I have tested the voltage on the neutral and it is 0 volts.

Anyone had a similar issue?
    A lot of this type of thing happening... the best part is the insurance companies have got wise... they no longer cover power surges caused by neutral bar theft and "Eskom" power surges... Had similar experience were the lightning protection is blown to pieces and others where the lightning protection is in place and electronic components are blown to pieces.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Thanks
    Hi SeanM. What procedure dud you follow to determine the 0V on the Neutral. Sometimes the guys make the mistake to test it between N and Earth where you actually will get 0V because indirectly its the same point - star point of the TRF. Did you test from N to external Earth - like one lead in die grass or garden? Normally the must be a flow at least even if its only a deflection but its should show a value.

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Where can i get a new annexure 3 to renew my registration at Dept of Labor? the one on their websites are apparently outdated

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pieter00 View Post
    Where can i get a new annexure 3 to renew my registration at Dept of Labor? the one on their websites are apparently outdated
    Hi Pieter you ate more than welcome to download from our website under supporting docs. www.tdmi.co.za All the best.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I finally figured out why this industry is so F^&*d and people just couldnt be bothered to take steps to sort out illegal COC's.

I bumped the back of my van ...because i now only have one vehicle (thanks to owing the tax man a ton of cash ...had to sell the others to pay an outstanding balance) so i contact the insurance company who inform me to take my vehicle to the panel beater for a quote which i did ...i make arrangements with the panel beater to drop off the vehicle and collect it 3 days later (quote for repair R55000.00)

Everything is organised prior to the vehicle going in for the repair...right down to an sms confirmation that the window guys will replace the window at a specific time...well 3 days later thinking everyone is on track... i arrive to collect ...the window people (auto boys) didnt pitch up at 8 am like they were suppose to after 8 confirmed calls and an sms...never mind the fact that the window is a pirate part so now the wiper does actually wipe the window for what ever reason

Anyway back to the reason... i am at that point with the insurance and panel beaters and glass fitment companies that i actually just dont give a F^&* anymore ...it works i am just gona leave it... the fact that the back door doesnt line up ...the window doesnt fit in the the door properly... the paint job is a mess ...the over spray on the vehicle hasnt been cleaned off... there are parts missing on the door... they have used second hand parts and charged for new... the list just goes on and on ...and we are just talking about a simple back door replacement and spray.

The problem is that there are too many people with too many fingers in the claim trying to get their cut... the panel company only sprays the parts ...the insurance company supplies the parts ...the broker has a contact who fits the window... and us as the customer must just suck it up and take the shyte as it comes.

I am at that point where i am sure most people get with regards to illegal COC's ..it just becomes too much of a headache and too expensive to claim...so they just leave it.

Handling an illegal COC is a lot more complicated than just returning your vehicle to be repaired and there is no cost to me ...YOU PAY TO FIX THE ILLEGAL COC ISSUED AS THE BUYER...so lets get this right...you buy the house and have to foot the bill to get the illegal COC issued with your new home sorted...not only the inspection ...you also have to pay out your own pocket to have it fixed ...then claim it back form the electrical inspector... i am yet in al the year si have been doing this heard of one electrical inspector actually paying out a claim.

A word of advice... if you plan to buy a house...wait until the transfer is about to go through ...at this point ...put the transfer on hold until you have had a second opinion (even if the test cost R1000) it will save you thousands if the house is not up to standard ...there are too many "buddies" issuing COC's ...this week again ...another house was purchased the customer noticed a few strange things got an electrician to check it out... it turns out the inspector had not even visited the site ...the COC was not filled in correctly and there are huge repair costs involved.

The house i was renting prior to purchasing was sold while i was living there....a person (not even sure that he was a qualified electrician) arrived at the house with a 6 " gallery and handful of nuts and bolts ...he informed me he was there to do repairs and check the house...When i asked about the testing procedure ...i was told the person who issues the COC lived in stanger and couldnt make it ...so the person on site said he would just fix a few thing and check it was ok ...When he was finished he indicated everything was fine and he would tell the person in stanger it was ok to sign off...the test results used would just be the standard ones we normally use to indicate the house is "reasnably" safe.

This people is what is going on in this industry... wake up... dont be that fool who blows a million bucks on a property and then have to spend R50 000.00 fixing up all the electrical problems.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast