Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1725262728 LastLast

Thread: The Electrical Certificate of Compliance explained

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post

I agree with new regulations ... as technology evolves so the rules and regs should
    Yes but, as you also say it must be policed, which does not happen here. Regarding the hospital, how was it commissioned without a COC? Until complete the power should not have been connected. After testing, in the event of irregularities/incomplete work power should not be connected. You best bet now would be to systematically shut down section at a time over a few days until only critical sections are in operation. Then they are forced to pay up so that the work can be completed as it should be. You could most certainly rely on SAR&H for good training in all trades.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    Yes but, as you also say it must be policed, which does not happen here. Regarding the hospital, how was it commissioned without a COC? Until complete the power should not have been connected. After testing, in the event of irregularities/incomplete work power should not be connected. You best bet now would be to systematically shut down section at a time over a few days until only critical sections are in operation. Then they are forced to pay up so that the work can be completed as it should be. You could most certainly rely on SAR&H for good training in all trades.
    They got another inspector who was willing to sign the COC's ... I am not saying the installation is not reasonably safe ... The person who came in behind me must have tested the installation and was happy to sign off the installation at that phase of completion.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Thanks
    The story of our country. Even a disfunctional government repeatedly gets the votes

Thanks
    Ian the story of old sparkies every day life there will always be a contractor that is in for the money and not to the old fashion standards professionalism to which us old sparkiesare custom too.

Sparks I LMAO 🤣 😂 and crying 😢 at the same time, I don't have anymore walls left to smack my head on.

The younger sparkies are saying that the old farts sparkies are always COMPLAINING, HEHEHE.

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Morning All

I am in the process of registering an ‘off grid’ solar installation with the City of Cape Town.

The customer has a voltronic (axpert) inverter and the CoCT wants to know if it confirms to SANS 62040 to which no supplier can confirm, if this is the case all axpert inverters are illegal.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I had a customer ask me a question last week ... If I get a COC for an installation and 3 months later use a different electrician to replace an earth leakage unit ... is the COC still valid.

The reason for the question ... the electrician who replaced the earth leakage unit and found some really suspect looking wiring ... he contacted the inspector who issued the COC ...who told him ... because someone else replaced the earth leakage ... the COC is no longer valid ... WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP.

This seems to be a common problem in the industry.

As I explained to the customer ... A COC is not required for a replacement earth leakage unit ...however it would be advisable to attach a note to the original COC with the trip value and test button press result.

This bullshyte of inspectors telling cusotmers that their COC is no longer valid because another electrician installed a new socket outlet or light circuit is not true .. .the only time it become invalid ... if the customer modifies or adds to the electrical installation without issuing a supplementary COC for the additions and alterations and even then it would be a tricky one if the inspector hasnt filled out hte COC properly and taken pics and made note and sketches.

How I understand it works (please feel free to correct me) from my experiences for example ... I am about to move a customer into a building ... I first make the property owner/manager issue a COC for the exisitng installation ... in other words the DB's ...lights ... plug ... aircons etc.

That COC ...remains the COC for the building electrical installation ... If I add a socket outlet or light points ... I do a supplementary COC which is attached to the original COC ... the fact that I now work on the building doesnt make the orginal COC invalid ... that is why it is a good idea to take picture with a date stamp if you feel the orginal COC is not valid or not done correctly.

I had this on the last factory relocation ... the COC wasnt worth the paper it was written on ... I took pics and made notes of all the illegal wiring and forwarded it to my customer and the property management company ... there is a catch ... because that COC is invalid ... I cannot issue any supplementary COC's until the electrical installation is bought up to standard and a valid COC is issued ... who will be liable for claims ... that could get interesting.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Thanks
    Hell guys, I have come across the new COC book which requires me to test neutral loop impedance at the main switch. Can you explain this as it is a first time to see it and hear about it.
    Many thanks

Xolani Rorwana

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Greetings

The PSC and Loop impedance for your COC is done at the main breaker (with the main breaker turned off)

Note this should be done for all DB’s that form part of the installation.

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Greetings All

I recently learned that a test report has to be issued for all DB’s that form part of the installation.

When I did my training we were taught to only indicate the highest readings.

We learn every day.

I see it says that a test report needs to be done for the supply as well which I don’t really understand.

Thanks
    ,main db and the sub db?

Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1725262728 LastLast