Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: The Electrical Certificate of Compliance explained

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dav View Post
    I have what is probably a dumb question, but what is the difference between an isolator and a disconnecting device?
    the other way of looking at it...a circuit breaker for example can be used as a disconnecting device if it has isolating properties for example a geyser combo breaker.

andy i would be a bit cautious including a DOL starter...in some cases i have had been instructed that an emergency stop button connected to a DOL control circuit could not be used to isolate a circuit. I cant say for sure as it was an instruction i received from an electrical engineer...it would be an interesting topic to discuss.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    Yes it may. Any new installation, alteration, extension or repair to an existing installation in some cases must be certified. Provided the rest of the installation is already covered by a valid COC.
    If the COC was issued less than 2 years ago would you have to re inspect the installation to verify the COC is actually valid or just assume the installation is still reasonable safe and test the part of the installation you have done and attach the original COC

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    the other way of looking at it...a circuit breaker for example can be used as a disconnecting device if it has isolating properties for example a geyser combo breaker.

andy i would be a bit cautious including a DOL starter...in some cases i have had been instructed that an emergency stop button connected to a DOL control circuit could not be used to isolate a circuit. I cant say for sure as it was an instruction i received from an electrical engineer...it would be an interesting topic to discuss.
    I suspect that the engineer stated this, as the disconnect, relies on a contactor to open its contacts.
    If the contactor housing or coil bobbin is damaged/distorted for what ever reason, it may impede the release of the contacts arm and opening the contacts.
    Also if the contacts have been welded due to a fault, then the release spring in the contactor may not have sufficient strength to physically break the electrical contact when the stop button is pressed.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Justloadit View Post
    I suspect that the engineer stated this, as the disconnect, relies on a contactor to open its contacts.
    If the contactor housing or coil bobbin is damaged/distorted for what ever reason, it may impede the release of the contacts arm and opening the contacts.
    Also if the contacts have been welded due to a fault, then the release spring in the contactor may not have sufficient strength to physically break the electrical contact when the stop button is pressed.
    that makes sense.

Thanks
    You're right Ian, DOL starter was a bad example, it may or may not qualify as an isolation device depending on its construction. The relevant standards for an isolation device are laid out in IEC 60947-3:2015, the SA standards authority adopted the IEC standard without any additions or alterations.

Thanks
    (b)
    an electrical installation which existed prior to the publication of the current edition of the health and safety standard incorporated into these Regulations in terms of regulation 5(1), complies with the general safety principles of such standard; or
    (c)
    an electrical installation referred to in paragraph (b), to which extensions or alterations have been effected, that
    (i) the existing part of the electrical installation complies with the general safety principles of such standard and is reasonably safe, and
    (ii) the extensions or alterations effected comply with the provisions of regulation 5(1) and were carried out under his or her general control.
    (3)
    If at any time prior to the issuing of a certificate of compliance any fault or defect is detected in any part of the electrical installation, the registered person shall refuse to issue such certificate until that fault or defect has been rectified

Thanks
    The chandelier is not a consideration unless there is a bowl over each lamp.

Thanks
    Depending on the application I also use a socket outlet as an isolating device which is acceptable.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    If the COC was issued less than 2 years ago would you have to re inspect the installation to verify the COC is actually valid or just assume the installation is still reasonable safe and test the part of the installation you have done and attach the original COC
    The only way to prove an existing Coc is valid is to inspect the installation, two years does not come into it.
    Theoretically and correctly, one should issue an additional Coc only if the existing Coc has been proven to be valid.
    To make a mistake is human, to learn from that mistake is knowledge and knowledge is strength.

Thanks
    Hi there

Does anyone know how our wiremans license qualification would compare in the UK.
    If you move from SA to the UK and you have a wiremans license would you have to write a test over there again or are our standards in line with theirs?

Alana

Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast