Thread: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4, 10.1

Thanks

Samsung Galaxy Tab 4, 10.1

Hi All

I am contemplating purchasing the Samsung Galaxy Tab 4, 10.1 (LTE)
    I have always been a Windows user and do not have any accounts linked
    to my PC i.e( MS account) though i do have a Gmail account but it's not
    linked to my pc for operational purposes etc, obviously without an account
    i cannot obtain any Apps from the Widows Store but that's fine with me.

I am not familiar with the Android system but on checking some of the details it appears
    as though you have to have a Google or Samsung account to use the Apps also.

Can i use the Android set up the same way i use my Windows machines without using
    the Google, Samsung or any other Apps other than the ones i wish to download seperately
    from the web.

Also it appears as though it is mainly a Wi-Fi oriented system, can i use a Pay as You go Dongle
    the same as i do now using any of the networks.

Please forgive me if it appears as though i am 'THICK' lol but your advice is appreciated.

Cheers Rozzer

Email problem
    Thanks
    Hi, you can get a tablet version that uses a built in sim card as well as wifi (sometimes advertised as "with 3G") then there is no need for a dongle.

The apps on the tablet can be uninstalled and installed in the same way as windows apps so to speak. You only use or install what you want.

Android apps are availabe from the Google Play Store, but for that you need a Google account (any Gmail account will be acceptable)

Samsung also provides apps made by them, these apps are normally only geared towards there own products, and are available from their own app store. So you need to create an account to download from there store as well.

The tablet can however be used without creating these accounts, by only using the built in apps it that it came with, from the factory.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    It also depends on what you want to do with your tablet.

Emailing, browsing, playing a few odd games and basic document editing is easily done. More complex tasks I am not too sure - haven't gotten that far with mine.

Got a tablet last month and it does take some getting used to. I still prefer doing certain things from my computer and even some emails... are not that easily done on a tablet.

I guess it just takes some time to figure out how to get things done and being comfortable...

Thanks
    Thanks Julies & Singhms for responding.

I do not want to be totally reliant on Wi-Fi to operate my PC
    The model I am interested in does have the facility for a sim card so i assume you can just buy a
    sim card from MTN or Vodacom then, and reload it with airtime (data bundles) when necessary (but not sure how that will happen)
    I assume there will be an on-screen facility from the networks and you just enter the pin number of the airtime
    voucher !!!!!!!!!!!!!!. any idea's ?

The tablet it basically to do what my windows 8.1 does and that is for surfing, email, office docs (word, excel etc)
    maybe picture storing and videos, a few odd games but nothing really fancy. Having mention Office i know there is
    a few free downloads of office products for android and i need to find something compatible with MS Office.

I suppose you could say!!!!!! why I am buying this type of set-up, well it's a case of trying something new and I
    have heard that Android is a good O/S and as you know Windows has had a bad time with there Windows 8 although
    Windows 10 is due out around about April. I am reluctant to continue with Windows until i know what this system is
    like, not too interested in the Apple stuff at the moment. Also This Tablet is so portable and easy to handle (more so than my laptop)
    and the desktop goes without saying!!

Look forward to your further comments

Kind Regards

Rozzer

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I run a Windows 7 laptop and a Galaxy tab 1 10.1. I use the laptop for all my real work and the tablet for the more relaxed type stuff like reading, browsing, faux HP rpn calculator etc. The tablet is an absolute pleasure but you have to keep in mind that it is not a PC. I find it hard to type accurately because the on screen keyboard is much smaller than a desktop. Doing spreadsheets is a pain because I am used to working fast on a normal keyboard and a mouse.

I have lots of software on mine and I can't think of anything that needs to be online to work. I have 2 x freeware office-like packages, lots of calculators, convertors, photographs, music, movies etc on it.

The tablet is always with me, either justmto listen to music, to read or just to pass the time.

I don't know much about the Tab 4 my Tab 1 built in browser sucks. Just download Firefox and you're on your way. My USB port is k@k slow. I also resent not being able to use the usb port while charging the device because they share the same plug on mine. It is a real problem when the battery runs flat while I download a CF card from my camera. Anothr thing that annoys me is that the USB plug is at the bottom of the device nd the earphone plug at the top. You can't have the thing propped up on your chest lying on your back because you have cables jutting out of both sides of the device.

So, although I love the device I would like to see a couple of changes (which may exist on the Tab 4). All the plugs must be on one side, preferably a short side because I lways use the device in landscape. It must have a seperate charging plug so that charging the device doesn't block up the USB port. They must redesign the charging/usb cable plug - I have already gone through 3 because the device always sits on the cable because it juts out the bottom of the device.

But....I still love it...I am quite happy to put upcwith the quirks.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    I am a complete android gmail person, all my accounts basically with Google.

Got an iPad as it was a very good deal and I am happy with it. Takes some to get all your goggle apps to work on Apple as it works with an Apple ID.

The thing I do like about Apple is the App Store seems to be better...

Just my opinion...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rozzer View Post
    I am not familiar with the Android system but on checking some of the details it appears
    as though you have to have a Google or Samsung account to use the Apps also.
    Not necessary, though it's much easier. You can still install apps without any such accounts, just that you'd need to download the APK files manually then copy them onto the tab and install from there. The major problem is to copy them onto the tab - i.e. connect the tab as if it's an external disc. Alternatively you could download the APK files through the internet browser on the tab itself, though then you'd need a 3G data package or connect through WiFi to your ISP. Also note, these APK (see them as similar to those MSI install files you get for Windows) are basically programs. So if you download them from somewhere else than an app store you'd need to be careful that they're not some sort of virus. Not that it's impossible for such virus app in the stores, just less chance than simply downloading from just anywhere.

Another idea is that there's usually other stores as well, Samsung gives a reasonable one for their products, but personally (I've got a Samsung Galaxy Note 2) I don't like the apps they have. Even your mobile provider might have a store, e.g. I know Vodacom has one (not in the same league though, but it's there none the less).

I would however advise (if you go with an Android) to start a gmail account, that would give you access to the Google Play store. It's free without any obligations. I see it as a email which I use for all non critical stuff (e.g. forums) which I don't want to clutter my "real" email with. Also that means I receive a lot less spam on my real email - and most of that junk goes into my gmail account. With such you can then browse the Google Play store and install apps directly from there, at least all free / trial apps (though note most of these show advertisements when you open them to make some money). If you want something which you need to pay for, there's various ways about that too.
    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves. - Norm Franz
    And central banks are the slave clearing houses

8. Thanks given for this post:

Chrisjan B (22-Oct-14)

Thanks
    Hi All

Thanks for your responses
    I did some investigations today and found out the following.

Will operate on both Wi-Fi & Sim card (insert Sim card in the slot and
    Follow on-screen instructions to activate and top-up with airtime (Data)

Dual USB Drive with 16gb storage with one side small fitting for port of Tablet
    And the other side larger for Computer port, R299.00 approx.

Alternatively you can just buy the Transfer cable for about R30.00 with the fitting
    for the Tablet on one end and the other end fits onto your Flash drive.....useful for printing
    or copy data from Tablet to Flash Drive to PC, do the reverse for PC to Tablet etc. NOTE:
    included is a charger and a cable as i mentioned below, so it is possible that will be the transfer cable
    but i have not actually seen the cable so not sure.

Multi adapter on Tablet, a USB Hub can be used for mouse or additional devices, I think
    this might be useful as the hub cable connection can be quite long and pulled clear of the
    Tablet and not be in the way. If you use a Mouse it will be better if it was a Lazer Mouse.

You can set-up the Tablet without using a Samsung or Google account (you will not
    Be able to download any of the Apps except the free ones or the ones provided) although
    there are other sites where you can download Apps and programmes from, as I mentioned
    earlier I have found a few sites that you can download Office programmes from also as irneb has
    pointed out it might be wise to opt for an account for safety reasons etc.

Tablet comes with a Charger & a connecting cable for charger to Tablet.

Sim Cards & Memory Cards are extra (Sim card range from R3.00 with no airtime
    Included or R30.00 with some airtime included…..approx.) Sim card must be RICA,d

2 Year Warranty at Game.

Thanks one and all

Rozzer

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    The one pet hate I have about gmail app on smart phones and tablets is that you can only do conversation view ... You have to use a 3rd part app if you want the standard single view... But you lose some gmail functionality...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk!