Thread: How difficult do they want making use of their compulsory software to be?

Thanks

How difficult do they want making use of their compulsory software to be?

So you have to use e@syfile to issue IT3's and IRP5's and to do PAYE recons and submit to SARS. However, just when you least expect it, an update of the software is announced. You go through the motions of doing a backup and start the update which "will take a few minutes". You are glued to your seat as the program will time-out "due to inactivity" and you have to click continue numerous times. Surprisingly, notwithstanding watching and clicking vigilantly, the precious software times out regardless. So you start again. And don't think the update has registered anything all the previous times you tried, nope, it starts right from 1% and takes aaaaages just to time out again. Not wanting to be labelled a quitter, you go at this for more than an hour before you register that the universe is not on your side today and just give it up.

Eish!

Now that I've vented a bit, it surely feels better. Now let's try again...

Thanks
    Yup - happened to me 3 times in a row. Timed out at about 45% and then just shuts down at about 93% with no option to continue.

This is quite a waste of data download as well as wasteful downtime on your computer as it seems that you cannot continue working on something else while this happens.

I left it eventually and tried the next day at 7am. It did the first time out at about 55% and then finished the job.

You would think that the programmers would at least give you the option of 2 timeouts that you can control!
    No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop "The Lion and the Mouse"

Thanks
    I have some better news this morning Mike. After ranting a bit yesterday, calm set in and I used a different approach. Next time, follow these steps:

1. Open e@syfile and follow the steps so that a backup can be made.
    2. Terminate the update process.
    3. Go the the eFiling website and click on the e@syfile link on the home page.
    4. Click the button on the right for "Download for Windows".
    5. Click yes when prompted about the backup etc.
    6. Complete the required fields on the page that opens up, tick "I agree" and proceed.
    7. When prompted for action, click the arrow on the save option and click "save as".
    8. Select the folder on the computer where you wish to save your update file.
    9. Once downloaded, go to the folder containing the update and double click it. This will take you through the steps of installing the update but not using e@syfile to do it.

Much less painful and took a fraction of the time. Why didn't I think of it sooner?!

4. Thanks given for this post:

Mike C (12-Sep-14)